Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to swap my 58mm throttle body to another today. Now the bike runs like crap again. Do I have to do anything special now, or just ride it, and let it work it out. It doesn't want to idle, and it seems like it is running rough.
Any thoughts?

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I had to swap my 58mm throttle body to another today. Now the bike runs like crap again. Do I have to do anything special now, or just ride it, and let it work it out. It doesn't want to idle, and it seems like it is running rough.
Any thoughts?
Your idle air control is malfunctioning. Did you plug it in?

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I plugged it in.
It was at first idling at about 3k. I took it all back apart and checked everything out, it was all good. I let it sit for a while came back tried running it again. The idle came down it tries to run at about the 1200 but it is real choppy and dies it varies but it usually stalls about 15-30 seconds after starting it. When I give it some fuel it seems to even out.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing I was thinking. It was running really great until my throttle body broke. I had drive it home real carefully I also let it sit overnight with the battery unhooked. I read somewhere you have to re initialize it, after having it sit without power. Thought this could help.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
There's a small adjustment screw on the right side, near the rear butterfly under the support plate, adjusting it will help solve your issues. What fuel management system are you running? If Tmax yes you need to re-initialize it.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Don't touch the screw, this is set at the factory and you will have a real problems if you adjust it.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
what broke on the TB Jaben?

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
When you are dealing with modded throttle bodies this goes completely out the door.
Thanks Ken, when we replaced my 58mm TB and running with the TMax we found the same problems with the high idle rpm, and stalling. That's how we fixed the problem by adjusting the screw where I mentioned before above. VrodG 's right about the stock 53mm TB don't mess with that screw. A word of caution if using an autotune device... Those butterfly's "loosen" up usually before they break, and adjust to the altered afr that these loose butterflys create (kinda like a drafty window) and when you first start the motor the autotune will be running a really lean condition for a short while. Mine was around 17 until it autotuned itself out. Alot of turning on and off the motor.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Those butterfly's "loosen" up usually before they break, and adjust to the altered afr that these loose butterflys create (kinda like a drafty window) and when you first start the motor the autotune will be running a really lean condition for a short while. Mine was around 17 until it autotuned itself out. Alot of turning on and off the motor.

That seems like maybe what happened. It is running high on AFR up about 17 higher and lower, I am guessing maybe I need to just keep playing with it.
This just really sucks.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went out and worked with it some today. The afr's seem to be coming down. The idle is a little better, I think. It is still stalling pretty badly, Maybe I just need to take it out and run it some.
I hope.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hopefully that is all I have to do. I am going to give it a shot. I do know that the IAC is working, I checked that last night, and it seems to be working fine. I am thinking it must be, the blades were loose and the autotune tuned it to them, now it has to relearn all over again.
Thanks for all the help from everyone

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I think I might of figured out the problem, thanks to the help on here. I took the bike for a ride it was still running like total crap, on the low rpms, and wouldn't idle, but if I opened it up some it ran smooth all the way up. I went back home reinstalled the base map, it immediately started idling better, I took it for a ride and it only stalled once at a stop. It wasn't as smooth through the gears now, but it wasn't when I started either, I have mine slightly modified compared to what the base map is.
Final finding is the butterflies must have been loose for a while and it was tuned way out for where it should be.

Hopefully this won't happen again.
It does seem like the TM is doing a good job beings it tuned in to a bad throttle body.
Thanks for everyones help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts