Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Function over Form
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help after cleaning throttle bodies---top method. Bike is stock, 2009 VRSCDX, no tuner, cut exhaust, amsoil air filter, 5,571 miles. Everything ran fine with no codes before the cleaning. So, I'm bummed!!!! This is the original message I sent to ElrodontheV-Rod:

"Hope u can help me out on this one. I've recently cleaned my throttle bodies with an injector cleaner. I poured it into both stacks while having the engine revving.

Afterwards, I took the bike for a spin and I did feel a big difference in throttle response. However, when I tried to give it gas (WOT) the engine bogs and throw flames out the exhaust. It only happens when I give it gas.

I went home pulled the codes and it threw two codes. P0132 and P0152 which is oxygen too high front and rear. I cleared the codes and it's not showing anymore. I replaced the O2 sensors with new ones and it's still doing the same thing when I give it gas (WOT). Not sure what else to do now as it hasn't happened before the throttle bodies cleaning.

I have no clue what to do next. I'm thinking injectors are bad???? Please help or suggestions is greatly appreciated."

This was his response and I will locate the iac motor when I get home from work.

"Originally Posted by ElrodontheV-Rod
This is 1 part of the business that really sucks.
Now you know what a mechanic feels like when something like this happens to a perfectly good running engine that came in for routine maintenance.Can you imagine what the people in a shop have to go through if they cannot find the problem and have to tell the customer that we are trying our best to figure whether we caused this,or not?
I'll ask the same questions as most will in an open forum.has anything been changed from stock,such as a tuner?
It is ironic this happened after the top service,and is most likely related,but,did you possibly knock something around and cause an ill connection?
There have been some reports of the IAC motors falling apart.The iAC needs to be removed for a visual inspection,but the little screws are loctited in place.Using a soldering iron to heat the screws will make them easier to remove.

The reason I went to the idle air control motor is because of the lean codes that were set.The o2's were not bad,they were doing their job properly by telling you that the engine was either sucking to much air,or not enough fuel . I doubt the injectors went bad.You need to check the parts before you replace them.Codes are set as a direction for repair,not necessarily as a the part itself being broken.
You see,if the electrical motor is working for the iac,the ecm sees the current draw and thinks that area is working normal.The ecm doesn't look at air flow at the iac.The engine doesn't have a MAFS(mas air flow sensor),so it looks at air flow with the o2 sensors.

Even though the forum has lost quit a few of the smart people,you should post this up in the area you choose as appropriate."

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Another example why these aftermarket chemicals suck...

Did you have a lot of deposits inside the intake?
My guess would be that solid deposits broke loose and damaged the exhaust valves/-seats, maybe also intake.
All in all I conced with Elrod, but Idle Air Control motor has no or only very little impact on WOT.
If you didn't fill in stupid injection cleaner into the tank (did you???) then the injectors shouldn't be affected.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Another idea, less critical:
The new O2 sensors - are they OEM / 100% same type as the old ones?
They are supposed to be narrow band sensors if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
a faulty tps sensor will also cause missfire or bogging when snapping the throttle open.maybee you damaged that with your top cleaner.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Another example why these aftermarket chemicals suck...

Did you have a lot of deposits inside the intake?
My guess would be that solid deposits broke loose and damaged the exhaust valves/-seats, maybe also intake.
All in all I conced with Elrod, but Idle Air Control motor has no or only very little impact on WOT.
If you didn't fill in stupid injection cleaner into the tank (did you???) then the injectors shouldn't be affected.

I have a tough time with the idea that deposits did any physical damage to the valves or seats.

MeRod mentions that WOT generates flames out of the exhausts. Lets try to figure out what would cause that to happen, regardless of what preceded that symptom. Intake air temp is measured outside of the throttle bodies so that would not be the problem, but if the IAT sensor was leaking air due to damage, that could allow unmetered air to enter the intake air stream and change the mixture. Would that be enough to blow flames out of the exhaust?

How about the manifold absolute pressure sensor in the intake. How could a failure of this part affect the bike? I'm just thinking out loud. Wouldn't the failure of either MAP or iAT sensor generate a DTC?

MeRod, you put this stuff in an engine that was not running? Could you have hydraulic locked the bike on start up? Again, just thinking out loud.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
i see no reason to use these chemicals after only 5000 miles,

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
I assume it's just backfiring under WOT which is a lean running indication.
MeRod- please revert if there is black snoke and flames or no smoke and explosions inside the exhaust in combination with engine stalling.
A faulty IAT sensor shouldn't have such a drastical effect.
A faulty MAP sensor however could indeed cause that, happened to me once... good point.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I say this is a lean condition created.We know the02's were working correctly in order for it to set both lean codes.That iat hole ain't gonna set a code.these thing will run topless and not set a lean code.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Sorry Philthy, I misread part of what you wrote. Yes, a missing IAT sensor could generate that too but it wouldn't idle with that.

·
Function over Form
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. the engine was running fine before the intake cleaner. Only misbehaving afterwards. Locating the iac motor right now.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i would think that a leak down test might be a good idea at this point, i have seen fire out the exhaust at low rpms when we had a sticking injector in our v-rod..didn`t have much effect at higher throttle settings.. usually if you have a sticking injector you can see it looking down the intake and watching if it drips when you turn on the key and pressure up the fuel rail..

·
Function over Form
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
iac motor normal. not sure what else is causing this issue. Spark plugs seem normal as well.

·
Function over Form
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I assume it's just backfiring under WOT which is a lean running indication.
MeRod- please revert if there is black snoke and flames or no smoke and explosions inside the exhaust in combination with engine stalling.
A faulty IAT sensor shouldn't have such a drastical effect.
A faulty MAP sensor however could indeed cause that, happened to me once... good point.
No smoke at all, just when WOT the engine doesn't respond but bogs and shoots out flames from exhaust (sorta like backfiring but not). I will try changing out the plugs since it's not that expensive to do anyways. I might as well change the fuel filter too. Then go through a few tank of gas to see what happens then.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Friend of mine had same symptons on airhead turned out was loose connection on the coil.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts