Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
VRSCDX
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got my baseplate the other day and the install went fine...until i started to screw in the last bolt for the sissy bar. AAAAHHHH! cheap hardware!!!! :banghead:

to make a long story short, the cheap allen bolt that came w/ the sissy bar seized. i'm not sure if the thread is galled, crossed or what but i tried another allen bolt and it won't go past a certain point either. any suggestions? thanks.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
rottsko said:
so i got my baseplate the other day and the install went fine...until i started to screw in the last bolt for the sissy bar. AAAAHHHH! cheap hardware!!!! :banghead:

to make a long story short, the cheap allen bolt that came w/ the sissy bar seized. i'm not sure if the thread is galled, crossed or what but i tried another allen bolt and it won't go past a certain point either. any suggestions? thanks.
Run a tap through it and see if you can clean it out. If not, you can always go up a size and tap it for a larger bolt. The baseplate is cheap cast and will gall easily if things aren't lined up perfect.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If no luck from the top, just peel a small portion of the padding to the side of the bolt hole and run the bolt in from the bottom. I had to do that to mine. When it was originally installed they boogered it up a little at the top. RJ is right, CHEAP CASTING!!

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
rottsko said:

I had the same thing with 3 of the screws on my baseplate.. I ran a tap through them all and also purchased some new chrome screws from the web (since my dealer didn't have any).

Everything was perfect after that.. They go in easy now..

BTW, This was a real issue that I didn't realize until AFTER I took the plate off.. :banghead: The screws that fill the holes if you aren't using a luggage rack poke through just enough and will dig into your fender.. I have since taken a dremel tool to them and made the bottom of the base plate smooth and the screws a little shorter so they don't poke through..

·
VRSCDX
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. anyone know what size/type tap I need? and where to get it from?

·
Registered
332 Posts
rottsko said:
It's metric I do know that. Only had standard tap/die set.I'm too cheap to buy something that i would only use once that's why I went in thru the bottom.Easily done. Padding is easy to move to the side. Just a small cut thru the center of hole and you're set.Bolts will go into the top of fender if you don't use rack. Seems like they would offer a set of shorter bolts for when you don't want the rack on. Doesn't look bad with just the rack and no sissy bar. Still able to strap a bag on with out messing up the back fender too.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
I also had a problem with one of the screws. They apparently painted one of my holes shut. I simply ran the screw into it from the underside. Problem solved.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
rottsko said:
I *think* they are M8. I'm not sure so take it with you!!

·
VRSCDX
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone. i got it fixed. got the tap (M6 x 1) and got some new bolts. :dance:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
rottsko said:
thanks everyone. i got it fixed. got the tap (M6 x 1) and got some new bolts. :dance:
On a bonus note, you could probably sell that tap to someone who just got a new Ricks tank. That is the size of the thread for the bolts. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts