Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some expert racing feedback here...

I have a stock bike with a trask turbo. I have no way to dyno it so I do not know if it is set up right. And I have no stock Vrods to run for comparrison. Feels fast to me...

Anyway, I have made 2 trips to the track since the turbo and after reading some of the posts here I am extremely dissapointed.

My best run was 11.6 @ 183 km/ph (round 114mph)

I want to blame the track. By way of comparrison, I consistanlty beat 600 sport bikes and the Busa and R1's were running High 10 and low 11 times.

So I am thinking I may be running a good time. This is not a real track, it is a concrete slightly uphill airport runway. My tire spins like hell on launch.

But compared to those other bikes, I am right on their ass.

My question here is this, based on what I have said, does it sound right? I mean should I be running a 1/4 mile faster than the litre bikes or not?

What to R1s and GSXR 1000s and busas run on your local tracks?

I noticed that if I launched high, like 5 grand I ran a 12.3 and if I let the engine bog a bit, then give it hell, that is when I got the 11.6 I am thinkg I m loosing all that time on wheel spin and need a better tire. I had this weekend an almost bald 180 ME880 Metzeler. Would a new tire run a better time than a worn one? That sounds like a dumb question...

http://www.german-racewars.com/2007/impressionen.php?kat=2007

Here are the pics from the track...

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pegdragger said:
Sounds like something's not right.

....like maybe I should have a much better time? Even when a Hyabusa's best time on the same track is 11.1? And the litre bikes can barley break a 10?

Or do we all just suck really bad?

What gets me is I ran a 12.35 on the same track before the turbo, but they had a different lighting system. There was no stage, no 1/8 mile, no speeds...just a start and stop and one time. Now they have earned enough money to buy a real system, but how much diff would that really make?

·
Dragger o' Pegs
3,461 Posts
I am no racer by any means, nor have I been down a track with mine, but I swear I have read in here of stock V's doing better than that. I will look and see if I can find it.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
Did you air down your rear tire at all? Also, what were your 60' times?

I'm no expert but, from what I have ready, those are some biggies.

·
The Hawk
3,785 Posts
Sounds like your launches are not good, let the tire down to about 20# and launch at 6000 and see if that helps. Also try to line up on some good all rubber area, where the other vehicles have already laid down some good rubber for traction. You should be running in the 120's mph at the finish line so your top end is not good for whatever reason. When I was running the turbo on mine my trap speeds were 125 to 132 mph and my times ranged from 11.3 to 10.5 depending on traction at the launch and tune on the motor. Data loggers are handy, especially if you can log the AFR.

Mike

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
We have a turbo 1250 (VRSCX) here in Jackonville FL, I was told he is in the high 10's now. I know one stock 1130 running an 11.3, so you should be able to beat that. The track you are running on may have something to do with it. Without you being able to dyno the bike and verify the power curve, A/F ratio and peak hp, not sure what you can do. From what I have been told by LEO10SECs, he had to really work on the launch to get it down in the 10's. His first few runs on the turbo were actually slower than his stock times.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
I need some expert racing feedback here...

I have a stock bike with a trask turbo. I have no way to dyno it so I do not know if it is set up right. And I have no stock Vrods to run for comparrison. Feels fast to me...

Anyway, I have made 2 trips to the track since the turbo and after reading some of the posts here I am extremely dissapointed.

My best run was 11.6 @ 183 km/ph (round 114mph)

I want to blame the track. By way of comparrison, I consistanlty beat 600 sport bikes and the Busa and R1's were running High 10 and low 11 times.

So I am thinking I may be running a good time. This is not a real track, it is a concrete slightly uphill airport runway. My tire spins like hell on launch.

But compared to those other bikes, I am right on their ass.

My question here is this, based on what I have said, does it sound right? I mean should I be running a 1/4 mile faster than the litre bikes or not?

What to R1s and GSXR 1000s and busas run on your local tracks?

I noticed that if I launched high, like 5 grand I ran a 12.3 and if I let the engine bog a bit, then give it hell, that is when I got the 11.6 I am thinkg I m loosing all that time on wheel spin and need a better tire. I had this weekend an almost bald 180 ME880 Metzeler. Would a new tire run a better time than a worn one? That sounds like a dumb question...

http://www.german-racewars.com/2007/impressionen.php?kat=2007

Here are the pics from the track...
Have you tried slipping the clutch?I mean not fully engaging at the launch.

Try to run in the rightside of the lane.Alotta cars will spin there right tire.More rubber in the right of the lane.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts

Attachments

·
VRSCRT
193 Posts
try launching just off idle to limit wheelspin. its probably your 60ft time thats killing you. its hard to keep from blowing the tire away if you bring the rpm up much at all on the line. you should be running 120 to 130mph and 11.0 or high 10's with a bad tire. drop your air pressure to 22 or 24 psi. i went 11.0 @ 123mph my first pass with the turbo on my R, and that was on the stock Dunlop at 35psi.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TexasV-Rod said:
Did you air down your rear tire at all? Also, what were your 60' times?

I'm no expert but, from what I have ready, those are some biggies.

I did let a bit of air out and I tightened the 440s on the rear as tight as they would go. I did not have a tire guage so I don't know how much I let out...

My 60' times were 2.057 and 1.977

Does anyone honestly believe that I can drop another whole second on just practice alone?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Unless the "track" you are racing on is terrible, 2.0 60' times could be improved. Myself and others on here run 1.6x 60' times on almost stock bikes. As mentioned before, you should be running a 10.X quarter at over 120mph. My bike has run 11.3 @ 117 mph with very few mods. Either the tune is off, track is really bad, or you just need to go out and beat it up a few more times..... :D

And yes, 0.5 second drop is easy off just practice alone - my first runs were around 12.3-12.5 and I got to 11.7's with just practice on a all stock bike. With practice you will get faster!!!! :)

If you have access to a real track I would go there and run.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
You might try keeping your eyes down the track and away from the carwash; you know the 46/56 through 49/56 shots. :angeldev:

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all of you. This kind of feedback is really fun. I cannot wait for the next time.

I talked to some folks today that have been racing cars for years and one pointed out that I was spinning the wheel with the stock motor, then I added more power but did nothing to the set up. Still spinning...he thinks that is where I need to look. That and practice seems to be the key here.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is me in the right lane racing a 600 sport bike. Look at his time and trap speed. You can see, although I won the 1/4 mile, he was eating me alive...

Attachments

·
Scotty
1,247 Posts
Its all good!

myvrodrocks said:
This is me in the right lane racing a 600 sport bike. Look at his time and trap speed. You can see, although I won the 1/4 mile, he was eating me alive...
Mate I have a stock VRSCX and regularly race it. My 60' is about 1.80 so you definately have room for improvement there. Try the hard launch at 6500 or so and nail the clutch and hang on! :D

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82374&d=1182352291

Cheers and good luck with your racing!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts