Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, love my Rod and everything but have the chance to pick up a 02 BigDog Pitbull for a great deal. Great looking custom paint and under 2000 miles on it. The price is well under 10k too. One buddy tells me though their reliability is crap. Is that right ? Anyone have one ? Opinions on this bike ? Thanks

·
Registered
821 Posts
Talked to a guy today that has a 2003 BigDog with almost 180K miles on it. The engine has been re-built a few times, but it has otherwise held up to the long-term abuse. He has made several cross country trips w/o issue. I personally know nothing about those bikes.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
My buddy has one. Thang is in the shop more than he rides it. I personally think they are not worth the time/money. Just my .02 tho.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
I like the looks of the Pitbull and have window shopped them

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got an '08 BigDog K9, a 9ft soft tail beast. It's all about what you want. Big Dogs have their share of electrical issues (ehc), I've been lucky so far. There is a great Big Dog Forum as well, so check it out. When you drive a custom like a Big Dog you better like wrenching on it yourself 'cause it scares the hell out of me for someone else to touch my bike. There are people on the BigDog site that travel LONG distance on their bike regularly. Can't be afraid just ride. I love my VRod but my K9 kicks ass, that long wheel base takes a bit to get used to, so if you had problems with a VRod then a BigDog won't be for you. With such a long wheel base you don't ride a BigDog you have to drive it and understand - counter steering. Anyway, I don't regret mine.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
...... The price is well under 10k too. ........
If you are into the old school Harley thing than there is not much to think about at "well under 10K". Those bikes are panty droppers.

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
Ok, love my Rod and everything but have the chance to pick up a 02 BigDog Pitbull for a great deal. Great looking custom paint and under 2000 miles on it. The price is well under 10k too. One buddy tells me though their reliability is crap. Is that right ? Anyone have one ? Opinions on this bike ? Thanks
Steve,
PM me and I will give you the number to a friend in Quincy who has and currently wrenches on Big Dogs!

JIm

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i agree with vambo...every one else is gonna tell you what they would do or want.. if you want it get it ..

however do your research about reliability and maintainence

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
I had some time to kill in Wichita, KS a few years back so I visited the Big Dog factory. These bikes seemed pretty well put together from high end components as I recall. I think at the time I visited, these bikes were in the 35k to 40k price range. If you like this type of ride and can pick one up in good shape for under 10k – go for it!

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Honda Fury
is a 1300 cc underpowered 59 hp /71 ft lb disappointment. The bike would have been so much better off with the 1800 cc 106hp/120ft lb motors

I get the fact that choppers shouldn't be racebikes but really less performce than a regular sportster, what was Honda R&D thinking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you like it, want it, need it, buy it.
+1

Honda Fury
No, only if you're a chick. Just kidin', but i did look at one for my wife.

is a 1300 cc underpowered 59 hp /71 ft lb disappointment. The bike would have been so much better off with the 1800 cc 106hp/120ft lb motors

I get the fact that choppers shouldn't be racebikes but really less performce than a regular sportster, what was Honda R&D thinking.
Yep Fury seems a little underpowered. My BigDog is a 1930cc monster, if you like the BigDog and can afford it buy it. If you have electrical problems (which is about the main problem BigDog's have) then wireplus the thing and forget about it and ride. I still ride the VRod more than my BigDog but just because I ride the VRod to work more often. When I ride the Dog the wife ditches her Sporty and rides the VRod anyway.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I was @ Bergen Harley Davidson/Buell/BMW/BigDog picking up my bike after 42 days of it being there... I said to the service manager... "I must have the record for being here the longest". They said "nope, we have a BigDog that's been here for the past 11 months, waiting for a new front wheel". I lol'd

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Honda Fury
My buddy recently picked up a Fury. I gotta say it looks nice & all but when we ride he often says "I can't keep up with you guys (when we merge onto a highway & what not) You guys (VRODS) just pull away from me & I can't catch up"

I didn't realize that they only had 59hp (liquid cooled V-Twin), lol The bike weighs as much if not more than ours. Imagine your VROD with 60hp or so? :paper:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was @ Bergen Harley Davidson/Buell/BMW/BigDog picking up my bike after 42 days of it being there... I said to the service manager... "I must have the record for being here the longest". They said "nope, we have a BigDog that's been here for the past 11 months, waiting for a new front wheel". I lol'd
Wow, my BigDog's chrome was out of warranty for 6 months and the chrome on the rear wheel started peeling and six weeks after I contacted them it was replaced and I was ridin home. I didn't pay a dime for it and it was the rear wheel that cost $1200 if you bought it outright. I think there are people here that will give you horror stories about HD and there support of VRod's as well waiting on parts. I think it comes down to the service center / dealer / shop sometimes, if it's a warranty issue they put you aside and worry about paying customers. I can say BigDog took care of me and my local service center seems to care about customer service. Oh this was only two months ago that my wheel was replaced so not ancient history. That 300 rear tire is bad ass.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
only thing i can say is if it were me i would buy the softtail and not the rigid model..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts