Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shifting into 1st or 2nd gear lately resulted in a very loud noise like never before. It was embarrassing it was so loud. Long story short, after taking rear wheel off found it was the rear pulley. The little screws that go all around the inside were loose and 1 was even missing. I never touched any of these.

Tightened it up put the bike all back together and all is well. The loud clanking sound is gone when shifting into gears.

Any ideas as to why these would loosen up?

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
I believe the Reactor pulley is a two piece pulley (similar to PM) where the inside ring is held on by screws versus pressed on and spot welded like the stock cast VRSC pulley.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, two piece.

·
The Young One...
2,585 Posts
Shifting into 1st or 2nd gear lately resulted in a very loud noise like never before. It was embarrassing it was so loud. Long story short, after taking rear wheel off found it was the rear pulley. The little screws that go all around the inside were loose and 1 was even missing. I never touched any of these.

Tightened it up put the bike all back together and all is well. The loud clanking sound is gone when shifting into gears.

Any ideas as to why these would loosen up?

Lack of Loc-tite. :hidesbeh:

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
I used the screw method on my stock pulley i got machines down to fit the SE belt.

When I put the ring on I used a little sikaflex and lock tight on the screws. So far they haven't budged at all.

I do check them every couple months though.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I didn't realize this is something to keep an eye on but I do now. I still can't believe the CLANK sound it made. It was a horrid metal sound!

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Are you talking about the 5 screws that attach the compensator bowl to the wheel hub? If you are, there should be a helical spring lockwasher on each of them. The torque value is 45-55 ft-lbs.

No Loctite.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Are you talking about the 5 screws that attach the compensator bowl to the wheel hub? If you are, there should be a helical spring lockwasher on each of them. The torque value is 45-55 ft-lbs.

No Loctite.
I believe on the backside of the Reactor pulley there are screws that hold the inner pulley ring on the pulley (that is how PM does it). So he is not talking about the compensator bolts.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe on the backside of the Reactor pulley there are screws that hold the inner pulley ring on the pulley (that is how PM does it). So he is not talking about the compensator bolts.
Yes correct. 9 small screws, for the one I lost I happen to have one, it is the same size that fits in the baseplate side holes so if I remember correctly 6mm comes to mind.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I thought that they were rivets. You are right....again. They are bolts. :surrender I'm embarrassed.
I'd just make sure they are tight, ugly noise if they are loose :).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts