Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you end up cutting the PVC down to? I think stock is 3.63 inches. I hear some taking 1/4" off. I want to end up with a 1" drop in the front and wasn't clear on the directions. Thanks.

Bob

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
Reducing the length of the spacer does not lower the height of the bike. It reduces the tension making the bike ride smoother. If you read the directions supplied with the reduced springs it tells you that. The small spring you install on the damper rod is what reduces the height of the bike. I believe the kit is a 1" height reduction kit.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Reducing the length of the spacer does not lower the height of the bike. It reduces the tension making the bike ride smoother. If you read the directions supplied with the reduced springs it tells you that. The small spring you install on the damper rod is what reduces the height of the bike. I believe the kit is a 1" height reduction kit.
Reducing the spacer WILL Lower the bike if it's cut enough.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts

and if you eliminate the spacer all together it will definitely lower it. This is not the intent of the spacer. If you reduce the length of the spacer enough you may lower it but you will also reduce the spring tension and ride handling severely.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts

:them:

I raised the ride height if my bike when I installed my Ricor Intiminators. Rather than cutting the spacers 5/8" shorter to match the 5/8" thick Intiminators, I cut them 3/8" shorter. The result was an increased weighted fork length of 3/4"(I had 1-1/2" compression stock, now it is 3/4").

Just like adjusting your rear springs, you won't change the spring rate but the ride height will change greatly with each minor change in static spring compression.

BTW, you MUST reduce the amount of fork oil by the difference in fluid displacement between the thin-walled steel tubes and the thicker PVC. Although the fluid height might look the same with the caps off, the air pocket above the fluid is much smaller now that you've partially filled it with plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts