Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dealer installed it... they said they chipped the fender and had to send it to the body shop. Two weeks later, this is what i get back... hmm.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
SEND IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no excuses

·
Registered
48 Posts
You have a bad dealer.
The dealer installed by backrest, H-D provided the wrong template, holes were wrong and fender was chipped. Dealer was great, pointed out the problem, ordered a new fender and correct template, replaced everything at no cost to me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny/frustrating story, actually...

Not sure my dealer knows how much I tinker.

This actually went in about 6 weeks ago to have the backrest installed. After not hearing from the dealership for a week, I called them and asked them about status. They said that the mounting bracket was chipped and that they had to order a new one, and that it wouldn't be in until May. So, they brought the bike back to me with three large holes in the fender covered up with grey "plugs" which were conveniently used for two purposes-- first being to cover up the ugly holes, second being to cover up the horrifying drill job they did.

So... I wonder what mounting bracket they were talking about? I'm guessing they were talking about the actual backrest itself, and not the mounting bracket, which is hidden from view.

Anyway, after I sent a note to Harley asking why it may take up to three months to get a bracket or whatever the hell they actually needed, my part magically appeared the same day Harley corporate received my letter. Interesting. So the bike is picked up the following Wednesday. It sits in the shop for a week until I call again for another status update, when I'm told that they did in fact chip the fender, and that they were sending it to the body shop to be painted.

A week later (today) ... I called again, and this time it was done/ready to go. I get it back again, and what you see in my first post is what I got. This is the same fender, it has actually been repainted because some of the chipping has been properly painted over. However, it looks like they redrilled it AGAIN after painting, and screwed it up again!

I took the backrest off tonight for some further investigation ... almost looks as if they're completely ignoring the part about using a unibit (twice), and are more than likely using an old, rusty, dull standard bit to continually destroy this fender?

Anyway, I'll take care of it in the morning. The dealer has been great with everything else so not ready to completely dog them yet, I will give them one more chance to make this right.

Attached are some photos of the wonderful drilling work without the backrest on...

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow....that is one brutal butcher job.."...what did they use to drill the holes ? Rabid mice! Looks like they tried to punch it through with a phills head !

·
Registered
69 Posts
jeez... I did it myself with step bit. Have no issue like that. holes should be extremly clean and sharp. That fender is screwed up. I remembered HD recommend bit type for this installation. Either they need to replace it, or they will have to fill it with bondo and paint it. I feel bad for you

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got my bike back today after having the back rest installed. Same freaking visible chip in the clear coat. I'm also wondering why there is a third screw in the fender in place for the rack when I specifically told the dealer I did not intend on installing a rack. Does anyone know if this third bolt was necessary, or was someone just on auto pilot? It's annoying to look at a bolt placed in the center of my fender for what appears to be no reason.

·
Registered
151 Posts
the 3rd hole is not to be drilled if not adding the back rest the bracket hooks to the fender bracket in the back i am sure glad i had some one that knows what he is doing sorry for all the messed up ones out there

·
Action
10 Posts
Backrest / Rack

I was almost in tears the day I had to drill holes in that beautiful fender......... but I made it through.

I have the backrest and the rack. I put them on myself, that's the only person I trust:D

Honestly, what I would do in your situation is to take it to the dealer, show them the hack job, then persuade them to give you the rack. The backrest looks better with the rack covering the mount. I would then install it myself. If you take the time, double check hole placement, you can do this. If I lived near, I'd do it for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I. I put them on myself, that's the only person I trust:D

When you were fitting the backrest and had everything apart did you see if there's a way to move the backrest rearwards by about an inch?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well just got back the dreaded phonecall from my local Harley dealer explaining to me they "Misread" the instructions and drilled the 3rd hole in my fender too...UNREAL I only wanted the seat installed.

Knew I should of went to the the Harley Shop 30mins away that had done a passenger seat before....Next time I wont be so lazy. Now the local dealer is trying to talk me into getting the rack. My guess is it'll be cheaper for them to order that then order a whole new fender. They also said it'll be 6-8 weeks on the fender. WTH

·
Registered
329 Posts
As long as they give it to you for an extream discount! That was BS. Looked like they took a screwdriver to make the holes. The problem I had was the paint peeled off the fender.. Took a bit but they finally considered it a defect (think I got lucky). Good luck with this, but they should either give a major discount on the rack (I think it should be free since that is cheaper than a new fender and the mark on their shop for screwing it up). If they don't give it for free or really cheap, make them order a new fender. Good luck :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got my upright and rack today. Bike is at dealer having other things done as well. After reading these posts, I called them and told them I want to be there when he does it. They said no problem. Will wait until I come over next week.glad I read this first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know that parts for the V rod seem to take some time to get. I have had issues over the past year for the drive pulley a rear wheel and axle. I can say my local shop has taken care of every issue I have had. I can also state that if done at the shop, they are liable to fix the problem. If you allow them to drill the holes and it is not correct, they should fix it free of charge. Their mistake. I also know I am very comfortable with hand tools and drilling. I read the instructions and have no concerns that I could do the job and install accurately. Personally, I don't like the idea of having to drill any holes. There is no going back once you add the backrest and/or luggage rack. Unless you want to buy a new fender.

I wouldn't let just any shop install it. I would take it to the HD dealership and let them do it. They should be much more likely to replace it without grief.

*Still debating if I add these pieces or not. I have turned my mean machine in to a cross country cruiser. These pieces would just finish the job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I decided to have them order the passenger rack, free of charge to me of course. The Harley shop did use some nice creativity and found a plastic black harley button looking piece that matches the black stripe and doesn't look bad at all...hardly noticeable...they will silicone it over the hole till my rack comes in. I'll powdercoat the rack and get that on as well.

I pick the bike up on Monday, I hope they don't screw up the V&H slip on's, SE Filter and Race Tuner and 3 hour dyno they are doing today...lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts