Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Engineer
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, anybody got the part number handy for the heatshield screws?

I noticed after I got home from work today that I'm missing one. Really made my day. :mad: :banghead:

·
Damaged Goods.....
599 Posts
Don't have the number but for around $3.00 they sell them at my Ace Hardware- they were a little long so I took them to my grinder. You might check your local hardware stores to see if they have them.

Mine has only lost one- I check them all the time now.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I lost one and the second was ready to fall out during a recent 3000 mile trip despite the use of red loctite.I ended up using a hoseclamp to hold the shield in place until I got home.I replaced the missing screw,and tightened the rest,and I purchased 6 spares to have on hand ,and to take with me on my trips.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I picked up a new set from my dealer. The new bolts seem to be re-designed from the originals. The threads look like they are smashed a little on the ends . There is more resistance when you screw them in but they stay in. I lost 3 of the original but have not had any of the new ones loosen up yet. I decided to replace all of them after seeing how tight they stayed.

·
The Engineer
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody know the thread diameter and pitch by chance for the record?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Cdale136 said:
I picked up a new set from my dealer. The new bolts seem to be re-designed from the originals. The threads look like they are smashed a little on the ends . There is more resistance when you screw them in but they stay in. I lost 3 of the original but have not had any of the new ones loosen up yet. I decided to replace all of them after seeing how tight they stayed.

The new bolts are a lock thread, they are not round so they lock or have less problem just vibrating out. Loctite doesn't work well on exhaust, remember it's designed to release with heat which is what the exhaust does all the time. :)

·
The Engineer
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI, the screws appear to be M6 thread.....

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
I know loctite is designed to release with heat, but out of desperation, I used red on mine, and they're still there 500 miles later

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know loctite is designed to release with heat, but out of desperation, I used red on mine, and they're still there 500 miles later
I went 4000 miles before a screw fell out,so perhaps it helped a bit.In any case it certainly didn't hurt.Now I am just going to carry spares and a proper wrench and torque them regularly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
M6x1.0

Strokerswild said:
Anybody know the thread diameter and pitch by chance for the record?
They are M6x1.0. Length is about 8mm. Oval or button head, chrome plated, t25 Torx. I assume grade 5.8.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I just check my heat shield screw tightness every 500 miles or so

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Guess Harley should add one more item to every purchase--heat shield screws. The other two items would be loctite and KY.:bash:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Part # 3756MA is the screw and 7444m is the nut.
Make sure to replace the nut if screw is lost or you will always be chasing this issue...need to change the nut also!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I used high temp silicone on the threads to keep them from rattling loose. Works pretty well, fwiw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts