Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed the heat sheilds.My old dealer/tuner did this.Was way too lean.

Attachments

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Vrodvinny,

Are you going to run the headers without the shields?

I've thought about doing that, and having the header aluminum-ceramic coated so the gold/bluing does not show. The ceramic coating can be polished out to look like polished aluminum.

You meantioned a lean condition, are you looking at the pipes to see how blue they are due to the lean condition or something else is going on?

Wondering.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run with the shields on.I am going to replace them(pipes).;) I got a set off ebay that are in better shape.
It was running to lean.The old dealer only tuned it for wide open.So when I was cruzing around I was lean.My new dealer got ir right.:D

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Vinny,

They don't look that lean. The yellowing is normal on SS, I doubt your new pipes will look that much different after 2000 miles. The bluing looks to only be at the top bends which is normal. Of course the picture may not show it all and I don't know what you AFR looked like on partial throttle ;)

I know I'm not running lean and my headpipes look a lot like yours....

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pipes are stainless?I thought they were just mild steel chromed.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Vinny,

You may be right, I made the assumption that the head pipes were SS but knowing HD, they probably aren't. Anybody know what material the head pipes are made of?

Never mind, I looked them up, they are chrome :rolleyes: :notworthy ;)

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you know what gage they are?

·
Registered
214 Posts
So is there a way to polish the blue out? HD has a "blue remover", has anyone tried it?

Leon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts