Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tjack
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That was my first impression after my first 14 miles.

To start with I had to wait an hour for the "you own a Harley so let me tell you how to ride" bs from the dealer. Then when I finally get the keys so I can ride I under clutched and it died on me. The foot controls seemed awkward and the throttle was sluggish. Then stopping at a stop sign, I had to use the front and rear brakes harder than I was used too. On the Interstate the acceleration was sub par. Then I stopped to buy a B-day present. Thinking as I am going into the store I made a very big mistake in this bike. :mad:

To make is short I am not going too detail the next 150 miles on the way home. But on the trip every few miles I would do some hard engine braking and accelerations. This bike was extremely tight not wanting to rev.:blahblah:

Now after only 200 miles, it is like a whole different motorcycle. The acceleration now has no comparison to when first purchased. Brakes have set and the feel is better. I have gotten used to the foot controls and the slow speed maneuvering is very easy. The best way to describe my DX is comfortable. It is a very easy bike to ride.

Now I feel like this was the correct bike to buy and first impressions were correct. I just judged the DX to quickly, it is a very nice bike (Grand Mother approved).

I want to thank every post I have read here over the last few months for helping me make the correct choice in bikes. This DX rocks!:notworth:

Now, I am going to ride. See ya on the road. :moped:
tjack

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!!!

I had the same sinking feeling on my first few rides, thought it looked great but did not handle as good as she looked.

The DX is like a race horse, she has to get used to the rider before she is willing to open up and fly ;)

·
Trailers R 4 Boats
1,271 Posts
Don't feel bad about judging it too quickly, I wondered if I had screwed up on my trip home from the dealer, a 250 mile trip. The more you make it your own the more you'll fall in love with it. Fast enough when you want it, comfortable enough to ride to Texas and back.

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
glad it all worked out, welcome enjoy the ride

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Get it over 5 grand rpm and you'll find a whole nuther scoot, even better!:)

by the way, Welcome to the best forum on the web.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've done the whole "break in" on a bike before so I didnt even really know how well the engine was performing... I was just making sure I was varying my speed... slowing down... accelerating... never staying at a constant speed for more than a minute...

But I'd say after I got over 100 miles or so and started riding it like I know how to... the controls were smooth and acceleration was great.... I have been riding vrods for 4 years now so it wouldnt have been a surprise either way...

I really dont know how or why you experienced the things you did... maybe you're accustomed to sport bikes... but either rate, glad it's running better for you and you're no longer upset with your purchase... I for one have never had a problem with mine as of yet. *fingers cross*

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
I had just hit 200 miles and had to stop in at the dealer. When I left and hit the freeway I noticed the bike picked it up a notch. I'm thinking it's breaking in nice and easy.........

·
Registered
452 Posts
I know how you feel and kicked my own a$$ several times for spending twice as much on this one as the warrior I would have bought if the salesman were not such a jerk......lucky for me......I love my bike and since March have put 2300 miles on it, it gets better every time I ride it and she is still bone stock too. If I had it to do again I'd buy another one just like it with no hesitation. I never thought I'd find one that I enjoyed as much as the 79 GS1000.....I was wrong.....again.

Ride safe!

:vrodforu:

·
Registered
92 Posts
1st Harley + 1st streetbike

:biker: Hell, I even passed the state license test on the damn thing.... cones were a bitch (ran over the last one and squashed it). the bike is a conversation piece where-ever I stop and a blast to ride. No problems so far, just filling it up with gas...ride...gas...ride.

·
Bags R For Groceries
1,058 Posts
Mine has been at the dealer for a week waiting to get the 1000 mile service done. I miss my baby. Has it been gone that long? Damn!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I took mine to the dealer today to have the 1000 mile service done and they do the service in a couple of hours but as i'm there to pick it up they were doing a final top off of fluids and the tech finds a F*#King nail in the center of the back tire. :banghead: and I was going to take the bike to Virgina with me tomorrow, now I have to leave it with them cause I'll be gone for two weeks:barf: without my bike!!!!!! So tell me should I have them put a 260 metz on it ?????:helpme:

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
Congratulations on getting one of the best bikes Harley's ever made.:vrodforu: :vrodforu:

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
texrod said:
I know how you feel and kicked my own a$$ several times for spending twice as much on this one as the warrior I would have bought if the salesman were not such a jerk......lucky for me......I love my bike and since March have put 2300 miles on it, it gets better every time I ride it and she is still bone stock too. If I had it to do again I'd buy another one just like it with no hesitation. I never thought I'd find one that I enjoyed as much as the 79 GS1000.....I was wrong.....again.

Ride safe!

:vrodforu:
You had a Gs-1000? Always wanted one of those. Bought a GS-550 in '79. It was a terrific bike, but I always wanted more power out of it.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
tjack10514 said:
That was my first impression after my first 14 miles.

To start with I had to wait an hour for the "you own a Harley so let me tell you how to ride" bs from the dealer. Then when I finally get the keys so I can ride I under clutched and it died on me. The foot controls seemed awkward and the throttle was sluggish. Then stopping at a stop sign, I had to use the front and rear brakes harder than I was used too. On the Interstate the acceleration was sub par. Then I stopped to buy a B-day present. Thinking as I am going into the store I made a very big mistake in this bike. :mad:

Sounds like you needed the 2 hrs coarse in "how to ride it"

And get some exercise for your right wrist. The throttle needs a stronger, influence.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts