Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m used to bikes with a fuel range of 250 tp 300 miles per tank and was a little disappointed that my ‘08 only gets around 170 to 180 miles, depending on the right wrist.

I was thinking that an aux tank could be fabricated to replace the top cover and maybe hold a couple of gallons. The Honda ST1300 holds 5 gallons in the tank and another 2.7 under the seat in a tank, much like the V-Rod tank. Another 75 or 80 miles sure would be nice.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm sure you could fab up an aux tank. There has been a few ideas throughout the years. Just be thankful you don't have a 180 frame with the 3.5 gallon tank.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Been dreaming about this one for more than a few years.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,196 Posts
When i ride with Baggers who can do 300 plus they all want to stop at 150 to 200 for a break. I am able to do about 170 give or take. That is all I want to do in one sitting. Now I am not traveling where a 200 mile break is wanted and another 50 miles to the closest gas station. I have filled up ridden 30 miles or so knowing the next stop is 130 miles further.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a few local routes that I ride a couple of times a year, where I’ll ride 150 miles, without passing a gas station, especially at night when the “country stores” are closed. I’d be happy with a 225 miles range, so I didn’t have to trust the fuel gauge for the last few miles.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I'm thinking 170-180 mile range is excellent for a V Rod Nashcat ! I see no real reason for riding a higher performance V Rod in a low power fuel conserving way unless you're trying to get across a wide valley to the mountain twisties on the other side ( Me, R Model ) - I know it's hard to ride with longer distance bikes but with a V Rod you can pull over, fuel, and catch up with them in 8 minutes max. Yea,more fuel would be nice, especially when spanking it but fabricating a tank is a lot of work, and it must be made of metal, ( unless inside the frame rails for protection ) as far as I know. Many Japanese OEM fuel tanks could probably be adapted to the V Rod frame, a salvage yard is a good place to start, make a template of the frame rails and see if you can find a tank that might work. A little plumbing and paint work and there you go. Try to look for tanks on perimeter frame bikes that don't have a single backbone frame (with a U shaped tank) and you'll get more fuel in a smaller tank. Weld on some brackets, you're in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts