Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....today my bike tried to start by itself...everything was turned off. .Then started smoking....Then fire...i got it out before it got bad....wire is fried down at starter ...what did I witness with this thing.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Ok....today my bike tried to start by itself...everything was turned off. .Then started smoking....Then fire...i got it out before it got bad....wire is fried down at starter ...what did I witness with this thing.
Solenoid somehow managed to make contact. Maybe weak return spring in the unit. For anything else to be the cause , the system relay would need to close first and you would see instrument lights in that case. Then it could be starter relay or stuck handle bar button activating the solenoid. No visible power but starter engaging, solenoid is the most likely candidate. That area is live all the time so either the contacts were on the edge of closing or the trigger wires shorted to some other area to get power or ground to close the solenoid.
Ron

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
That was scary. Should that even happen?
It would be a fluke for sure to do it on it's own. Normal failure similar to this is the solenoid sticks after trying to start engine and it won't disengage. Equally disturbing, trying to get the battery disconnected as fast as possible.
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts