Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a couple of updates today. Looking at the old and the new parts I strongly suggest you get these parts if you own an older (02, 03 ) v-rod.

I wrapped my fuel lines a long time ago but when I went to change them today I found another place they had started to rub on. If you don't replace your fuel lines with the updated lines please check them again even if you already protected them from the coil bolt.

Coolant bottle. The new bottle does not use the cap for the return line. It also requires a longer return line for free operation. A must have if you plan to keep your bike long term.

Last week I did the front mount and strongly recommend it as well for all pre 05 models.

Max

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
:cheers: Thanks for the heads up. I did the motor mount last winter when I painted the bike. The fuel lines looked OK, but I'll look into replacing them and the bottle too. You wouldn't happen to have the part #'s handy????

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bproulxvrod said:
:cheers: Thanks for the heads up. I did the motor mount last winter when I painted the bike. The fuel lines looked OK, but I'll look into replacing them and the bottle too. You wouldn't happen to have the part #'s handy????
I'll get them all for you and post them.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
I bought my 2003 out of the crate last summer. Anything special I need to check since it was not used for so long? I have just under 1800 miles on it and the dealer service says it is in good order.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lil

All the items I mention above apply to that model. You don't have to do them but after what I have seen on the fuel line I'm going to take the position of "strongly recommended". Your all my brothers and sisters and I really see the fuel line as a possible issue. The lines are cheap and easy to change. I'll post the number of the updated lines Tuesday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Max,

How much of a hassle was it to replace the front motor mount? Any tricks not mentioned in the service manual? I've got the new mount, but haven't put it in yet. Thanks.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hc-tmo said:
Max,

How much of a hassle was it to replace the front motor mount? Any tricks not mentioned in the service manual? I've got the new mount, but haven't put it in yet. Thanks.
There is no real trick that I found. You don't have to take the radiator cover off all the way, just loosen it and let it drop down a little and then make sure you have an 8mm hex drive socket to do the four bolts in the front of the motor. Total time took me about 1.5 hours and it was the first one I had done. Could easily do it under an hour now I'm sure.

·
I used 2 B Disturbed
1,782 Posts
Fuel Lines

Max, so the new fuel lines are different somehow? Other than the coil bolt, what concerned you? Thanks.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Disturbed originally my lines were rubbing on the coil bolt. But when I removed them I found they had been rubbing on the frame as well. You can see the rub mark in the pictures above the protected area. The new lines are shaped differently and didn't appear to touch anything when installed.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Considering I do not do such mechanical work can you give me an idea of the time associated with getting this work done? Am I safe to ride out this season and have it done before I store for winter?

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
When Eagle had my bike they did the 2 of the 3.I just need to update the fuel lines.

Max,do you have the pt#for the lines?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Staney said:
What's the difference in the motor mount?
The new mount is much stronger and uses a different inside sleeve. It feels much firmer but should resist the breaking that the original mount did.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Diamond Lil said:
Considering I do not do such mechanical work can you give me an idea of the time associated with getting this work done? Am I safe to ride out this season and have it done before I store for winter?
Lil I don't think riding out a season with such low miles would be an issue. But I would suggest the next time your in for any service to have them inspect the fuel lines.

·
Revolution02
3,978 Posts
I will definitely look these parts over for flaws. Thanks Max!

·
Chuck
2,292 Posts
Max said:
The new mount is much stronger and uses a different inside sleeve. It feels much firmer but should resist the breaking that the original mount did.
Thanks for the tip Max. This could be what is causing vibration on my bike lately under hard acceleration. I'll start a separate thread, so as not to hijack this one.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fuel lines are 61504-01A and 61505-01A and should cost you about $14.00 each. One is pressure and one is return. The pressure is a little larger in diameter.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Might I ad, that anyone who wants to do their own work on their V-Rod get their prospective year service and parts manual, read it and learn from it so that way, anything that you do, you've got that info at your fingertips.

Also, the belt tensioning tool is something that all owners should get, it's not that expensive, and is an essential in my book.

Armed up with a good base on what the bike is about mechanically as well as exploded views from the parts manual aids you in R & R of things you'll do own your own.

If you can afford the bike, the 2 manuals are a drop in the bucket, and will save you the owner $ by doing things right the first time, and for other things you want to do.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Max said:
The fuel lines are 65504-01A and 65505-01A and should cost you about $14.00 each. One is pressure and one is return. The pressure is a little larger in diameter.
One other suggestion on the fuel lines are that there is an aluminum tape that is available. A/C shops sell this stuff, and it works well in elevated temp operations. You can wrap the fuel lines to aid in lowering the temperature of fuel entering the injector system. The cooler the fuel, the better the motor runs.

The tape will also aid in rub issues, but should be periodically checked.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts