Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Registered
6,455 Posts
sometyimes the moco just plain suks!!!!!🤬
Stat cannot be had separately. I gave up on that. However there are many stat housings with stat in them on ebay the odd time. Much cheaper this way. Use as is or pop the stat out and place it into your existing housing. I have two spares both tested the opening and full open water boil testing, just in case. They are the same part from first to last year production.
Can't help with the moco suks part other then agreeing.
Ron

· Registered
44 Posts
Stat cannot be had separately. I gave up on that. However there are many stat housings with stat in them on ebay the odd time. Much cheaper this way. Use as is or pop the stat out and place it into your existing housing. I have two spares both tested the opening and full open water boil testing, just in case. They are the same part from first to last year production.
Can't help with the moco suks part other then agreeing.
Ron
thanks! for the info and reply.i havent done anything yet to it, other than notice strong smell of anti freeze and no leaks on the floor. strange thing i rode friday temp. 75 degrees, little wind. stopped after first 50 miles to get gas. no smell,but, didnt get the mph above 65 either. then next 50 milesgot home put in garage also enclosed atmosphere i then could smell the anti freeze. is this normal or am i just being a new owner being too attentive? thanks again.

· Registered
6,455 Posts
thanks! for the info and reply.i havent done anything yet to it, other than notice strong smell of anti freeze and no leaks on the floor. strange thing i rode friday temp. 75 degrees, little wind. stopped after first 50 miles to get gas. no smell,but, didnt get the mph above 65 either. then next 50 milesgot home put in garage also enclosed atmosphere i then could smell the anti freeze. is this normal or am i just being a new owner being too attentive? thanks again.
No, you shouldn't smell antifreeze at all if all if correct.
Ron

· Registered
6,455 Posts
Bumping this up.
Did anyone ever find anything about the MFG for the Stat?
I spent a lot of time looking years ago. None I can find for the actual manufacturer but most likely of German origin . There are some claims to brand and model but not an exact match. Getting one with the housing is still the best option, like off Ebay and such.
As a side note, I see several auto stats come as a unit with housing also, so not just HD being dickheads.
Ron

· Registered
6,455 Posts
I’m trying to contact MotoRad to see if they manufacture them.
Patts is what’s going to kill us long term V Rod owner’s.
I've contacted a few stat makers too but getting true facts is difficult. Generally a proprietary part for HD will not be disclosed from a manufacturer to us average people. I say proprietary because in all my quests, not one single listed stat matches the v rod one exactly.
Ron

· Registered
6,455 Posts
Agreed it is an exact copy of the Porsche stat but smaller.
I would want a lower temp one if they would make some.
You don't really want to go a lower temp then 180* opening start. No real positives but one big negative. In normal summer temps a 170 stat would be open 99% of the time once engine warms up. Cruising the engine temp goes to 185-195 on average, not because of the stat but the balance between engine generated heat and available oncoming cooling air through the rad is where it seems to balance out. Fan cycle temps are set to 217 on and 208 off, well out of even the stock 180* stat control.
A colder stat will bite you in the ass in cold weather with a really rich condition when cruising.
This cooling system on the v rod is not like a car where the stat holds the temp very close to stat setting. Low capacity rad is part of the problem in our case for this to work like car.
Ron

· Registered
232 Posts
While I appreciate your opinion I think the bike runs too hot.
Harley/Porsche designed the bike for emissions to light the cats off.
Richness can be adjusted for in the tune.
Any small block that you go from cast iron to aluminum heads you cah raise the CR 1-point even on today's gas.
Probably could add some more timing on a cooler running engine.

· Registered
6,455 Posts
While I appreciate your opinion I think the bike runs too hot.
Harley/Porsche designed the bike for emissions to light the cats off.
Richness can be adjusted for in the tune.
Any small block that you go from cast iron to aluminum heads you cah raise the CR 1-point even on today's gas.
Probably could add some more timing on a cooler running engine.
You miss the point of the heat created by engine and available cooling area of the rad. It will always run hotter then what the stat is with one exception, cold air. It follows ambient temps as to where it balances out for temps. The only time I see mine run at 180* stat opening temps is cruising at 50 degree F or colder air temps . If the ambient temps are 75 and up both the 170 or stock 180 stat would both be open . Final operating temp will depend on rpm, speed of air going through rad for that normal engine temp to stabilize at. For your intended goal, to stabilize or hold a lower temp, you would need a much larger rad with much more cooling area. Something Porsche bitched about in development but Willy said no, it would look fugly.
These wildly fluctuating normal temps between 180, up to 210 on a hot day is one reason I disable adaptive in the calibrations if tuning.
Ron

· Registered
232 Posts
This is interesting.
Has anyone looked into a custom/different radiator to help it cool better?
There is a company CSF that has redesigned the oll coolers for the Porsche's to make them more efficient.

· Registered
6,455 Posts
This is interesting.
Has anyone looked into a custom/different radiator to help it cool better?
There is a company CSF that has redesigned the oll coolers for the Porsche's to make them more efficient.
None I see that fits into the bike. A single core only has so much capability. However in 2014 and up the stock rad was improved with a few more tubes which should be a bit of an improvement in cooling effect. Don't think it will be really noticeable for the average person though. If one wants to skirt some of this low capacity cooling design, a simple toggle switch providing a ground to the system relay will start fans well below their in tended 217*. This would make it run cooler in slow traffic. Some tuning softwares will allow fan start and off temps to a lower level also as another option. This is a limited option however. Manual fan start with toggle switch is the easiest to not allow it to get to a hotter fan start condition.
Ron

· Registered
6,455 Posts
How about a different calibration switch in the Thermostat Housing?
You mean the coolant temp sensor? Too many down sides to trying to fool the ECM with that method. I think you might be more anal then me, If that's possible, however the temps on the v rod have yet to bother me enough to make drastic changes. It's worked for 20+ years as is. 200* and under is by no means hot. That can be dealt with by adding a toggle switch to the fans for manual operation. If the switch is off, it will still function via the ECM as before or fan temp on and off cycles . I just don't like running the fans that much as would be the case with the toggle switch.
Ron

· Registered
6,455 Posts
How about something like this -
Advertising is vague. Meaning the years as an example. There are about 3 versions of rads. 02-04, 04- mid 13 and 14-17 . The 14-17 on a stock setup requires extra plasitc rad end pieces to transition from round to square. They have a few more tubes and cooling fin area but it would still be a minimal gain over the 04-12 version. In the pic, the lugs welded on don't look like it will match up to some components, mainly the front rad plastics attachment as well as oil cooler attachments. Even the 14-17 OEM rad has a different oil cooler and mounting spacing difference over the 04-12 versions. I don't think there would be much gain overall for what you are seeking and the unknown fit aggravations would steer me clear of that particular one. Remember the stock rad is also aluminum. As for rad replacements, there are Chinese versions that are a direct fit at a low price too. Some here have used them and claim OEM fit and quality. Don't assume your OEM rad was made in the USA. Any real gains in cooling effect in any rad can only come with more cores, as in one row in front of the other, or more CI area overall in size. More capacity and more cooling area. I've not seen any like that, which would be a good fit in our bikes.
Ron

41 - 60 of 62 Posts