Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just cruisin along and a bug hit the perfect spot to shoot the gap between the side of my head and my helmet. At the time I thought just another bug hit to the face and didn't think much of it.

Next thing I know I have a burning pain in my ear and the side of my head. Holy shit that hurt. Doing my best to calmly pull over to the side of the road, I manage to get stopped, remove my gloves and take off the helmet strap. When I pull the helmet off there sits one pissed off wasp if full functioning order. He flew off but it took me a few to pull myself together. He stung my ear and a couple of places on my head.

My ear is ringing and I can't feel anything but pain on my earlobe, but it's still better than spending a beautiful afternoon in a cage.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
wow mike! glad you're ok.

I had a bumble bee stinging me inside my shirt once. Was cool under pressure, calmly pulled over and took care of it.

Also once made the mistake of yawning and sure enough Murphy's Law kicked in. No idea what type of bug I swallowed but it was fairly meaty. Probably about 50 calories.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
been there done that

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wasps

had one hit my vest and drop into the fold of my jeans, it sat there until i went to get off the bike and then he gave it to me in the scrotum holy mackeral it hurt, thought he was in my jeans so dropped them in middle of the street much to everones surprise. Found out i was allergic to them so now have to carry antihistamines with me on bike.

Always amazes me how many people I see riding without eye protection, be it sunglasses a visor or goggles, maintaining control when a bee wasp or stone hits you in the eye is hard enough but you could loose your sight or crash in the process.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
had one hit my vest and drop into the fold of my jeans, it sat there until i went to get off the bike and then he gave it to me in the scrotum holy mackeral it hurt, thought he was in my jeans so dropped them in middle of the street much to everones surprise. Found out i was allergic to them so now have to carry antihistamines with me on bike.

Always amazes me how many people I see riding without eye protection, be it sunglasses a visor or goggles, maintaining control when a bee wasp or stone hits you in the eye is hard enough but you could loose your sight or crash in the process.
Holy Mackeral! Stung in the junk and you dropped trou in the street. Epic Win.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Another very good reason to wear a full face helmet.
Agreed, or at least one with a face shield! I took 20 years to learn this tidbit. Now, I am amazed at how many bees and wasps and hornets choose to die on my face shield. Messy, but painless, to me. They can't be too happy, but, they splat. Glad you are OK, Mike! Joe

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I caught something directly into my open eye at 30 mph just as I flipped the lid up for some fresh air one day.My eye ball hurt for days afterward.
I had a bat hit my forehead wearing an open face.Felt like someone had fired a damp wash cloth at my forehead.
Had a wasp get into my shirt once w my wife on back.It's amazing how the situation can override sever pain.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
I got stung in the face riding through Spain onetime,but what puzzled me is how the wasp gots its ass round in time to sting me???

·
It's Only Money
1,321 Posts
The girlfriend and I were riding along at 30 mph in a subdivision on the the way to lunch. Were were not wearing helmets. A honey bee slammed into her left ear hole. A perfect shot and wedged himself tightly within her ear. She starts to thrash around and freak out almost taking us down. Thankfully we were going slow enough that I got us stopped before she took us out. I get off the bike ready to kill her when she starts pointing at her ear saying "bug! bug! BUG!!!". I dig the little guy out (he's toast) and calm her down. I guess that if he had stung her, she would have taken us down. She now only rides with the full face helmet on.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
I was riding, fairly hard, east on Hiway 50 (maybe 20 minutes out of South Lake Tahoe), wearing a full face helmet, when 'something' glanced off the side of my neck. It certainly felt, the pain was immediate, like I had been attacked by one mean bee of some sort. The moral of my example? helmet, no helmet, leathers, no leathers . the little buggers will find a soft spot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If U have ever seen the movie "Wild Hogs" there's a scene in the movie where the guys are riding on the open road and three of thing encountered a few bug spatters to the face; now imagine that exact same scene but this time hundreds of thousands of bugs hitting U in the face, that is exactly what happen to me in Georgia during a ride one summer evening. I believe I reduced the bug population by fifty percent in Ga. that day.

·
Registered
480 Posts
A friend of mine was riding at dusk when a deer ran out of the woods and hit his right grip, then ran back into the woods. He managed to stay up.

His 8 year old son was riding on the back, but looking elsewhere. It happened so fast he didn't even see it. He just asked his dad why he swerved.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Got hit right in the center of my forehead by BumbleBee without wearing a helmet. Snapped my head back and left a little red dot. No damage!! Hornet hits my chest(had jacket on) then proceeds to go up into my helmet!! Almost wiped out me and a couple of guys trying to get him out!! Lifted the visor up and he liked it in there!! Must of been stunned!! Finally flies out!! I think I'd rather go helmetless from now on!! And yes, I do wear eye protection if only because I wear glasses-LOL

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Not wearing glasses/eye protection,is like putting a 44 mag down the front of your jeans with the safty off..just lookin for trouble.

Don't need to wear a helmet here in CT,and I don't.Still,I have been stung on more than one ocassion. Where theres a will,theres a way,and those lil bad ass bastiids will find it.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
Bad assery is in the DNA of the Real Biker therefore Real Bikers don't use eye protection. Real bikers eyes are hardened leathery orbs able to absorb and repel rocks, dust, bugs and humming birds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts