Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 2 motorcycle lifts I use, one is a bottle jack hydraulic lift type and the other a pipe stand which "rolls" under the bike lifting it, levering it up. The lever type is my favorite, quick and easy lift. My concern is both contact the oil pan during use, actually most of the weight is on the oil pan and either side frame rail. Is this detrimental to the oil pan or engine mounting? What about long term usage like getting the bike off the tires for a month or so, with a lot of the weight on the oil pan? I realize I could use some blocks with the hydraulic lift to get it off the oil pan and on frame rails, but with the rolling lever type lift, it would be difficult to do(the upper pipe does have carpet on it to avoid scratching frame rails). What is your thoughts on the weight supported by the oil pan short term? or long term?

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
When I first got my V-Rod I was quite concerned about this - so much so that I made my first and (needless to say..) last call to the Harley customer help line. After sitting on hold for 45 minutes I got to speak to a woman who did not immediately seem to be aware that Harley made a model called the V-Rod. After some checking she discovered that they did. Once we had established which bike I was talking about, she checked her computer help files, and could find no information about the suggested lifting points. So much for that route.

I've since talked to both dealership technicians and to a Harley employee who has extensive V-Rod technical and servicing experience. Both seemed confident that no harm would come through use of a motorcycle lift under the center of the lower frame rails. The bottom of the oil pan is a fairly beefy piece of metal by itself - and in fact it is recommended that you place a jack under it to raise and lower the engine itself when doing certain work on the top end of the engine. So I don't really see any serious risk there.

My own experience, and that of other V-Rod owners, seems to be that no harm comes to the bike when using the motorcycle lift, provided that you follow the standard precautions. I can't see any possible downside to extended periods of elevation - although I would definitely recommend you use tie-downs and the mechanical locking device if you store your bike on the lift.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts