Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dare to Dream
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new ride recently for a great price, 2006 Triumph Daytona 675, if any of you guys ride sportbikes, I give this bike a big thumbs up. It doesnt have a super tremendous amount of torque but it handles like no other bike I have ridden. My V-rod has had the last two weeks off. For what its worth the V is still my favorite bike though, the V-Rod you can ride all day, the Daytona seat has a 150 mile limit. This is just an affair by the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very nice, I dig Triumph. Gotta love the sound of the triple. I've seen used 675s selling for scary-good prices lately.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Really? Shame, I hoped they were holding their value in the US.

I've had Triumphs since they set up in 1991 or so. Very pleased, covered hundreds of thousands of miles with minimal trouble.

I do enjoy the V-Rod more for pottering about though.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Really? Shame, I hoped they were holding their value in the US.
The only thing valuable in the US is a political,or government position.
Hell,even just a peon meter reader collects a pension,has free medical after they quit their jobs,gets spiffs and discounts in almost every retail store around.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Around here used Triumphs don't suffer from low resale value. Dealerships are few and far between so prices remain high due to lack of competition. The biggest concern is the thin service network.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Hell,even just a peon meter reader collects a pension,has free medical after they quit their jobs,gets spiffs and discounts in almost every retail store around.

No kidding, I hate to even get started on this!! :soapbox:

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Those 675's are an awesome little bike. I'd love to track one, but the folks who "know" don't give them up. Have fun with her!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You certainly have the freedom to apply for those positions.

I have a couple of buddies that went that route and I don't knock them one bit for seeing the big picture.

This is getting too far off the original topic. I'm going to need a Triumph in my garage in the next couple years.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
My brother has an '06 675 as well... fun bike to ride, but I just can't stand the stinkbug riding position! I rode from Tallahassee Fl to Valdosta Ga (maybe 90-100 miles) one night on it and I had to stop about 3 times to stretch my legs and lower back out! Definitely a blast to run it up to the speed governor on the flat stretches though :-D

·
Registered
303 Posts
I traded my Daytona 675 for my Vrod, via a detour on a Sportster XL1200C. I loved the 675 on the track, but began too hate it on the road as
a. It was very uncomfortable unless you are racing.
b. 4 trackdays last year in the Intermediate Group's (Donington Park x 2, Mallory Park, Castle Combe). Had a fantastic time but got through unscathed and felt I was pushing my luck if I continued.
c. Its not safe to ride these bikes like they should be ridden on the British roads, and if you do, you will loose you license or get points (12 points and your out).

Great bike though.Enjoy.

·
Dare to Dream
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The nice thing about the 675 that not many people may know is you can switch the clip ons by inverting them on the opposite sides and they are like built in Heli bars. It raises the riding position to more of a sport touring bike, even pushes you back on the seat more so more of your rump is on the pad, and not the tank. I've had them like that for a few weeks now and it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The nice thing about the 675 that not many people may know is you can switch the clip ons by inverting them on the opposite sides and they are like built in Heli bars. It raises the riding position to more of a sport touring bike, even pushes you back on the seat more so more of your rump is on the pad, and not the tank. I've had them like that for a few weeks now and it made a world of difference.
There is still ample clearance with the fairing? That's really cool, if this was by design even cooler. The reach to the bars is what's kept me off of all out sport bikes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Around here used Triumphs don't suffer from low resale value. Dealerships are few and far between so prices remain high due to lack of competition. The biggest concern is the thin service network.
Makes sense. I was referring strictly to online ads e.g. ebay, cycle trader, craigslist.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Makes sense. I was referring strictly to online ads e.g. ebay, cycle trader, craigslist.
I shop the same places but the cost of travel or shipping usually wipes out any advantage of going remote.

Did you pickup your R yet? I'm anxious to see your review.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I traded my Daytona 675 for my Vrod, via a detour on a Sportster XL1200C. I loved the 675 on the track, but began too hate it on the road as
a. It was very uncomfortable unless you are racing.
b. 4 trackdays last year in the Intermediate Group's (Donington Park x 2, Mallory Park, Castle Combe). Had a fantastic time but got through unscathed and felt I was pushing my luck if I continued.
c. Its not safe to ride these bikes like they should be ridden on the British roads, and if you do, you will loose you license or get points (12 points and your out).

Great bike though.Enjoy.
That's what has put me off gonzo sports bikes in general. If you putter about on them, which most people do, then the whole thing seems to me a bit pathetic, and the bike feels like it is laughing at you.

If you ride them as intended, here in Portugal you have minimal Pork to worry about, but you will end up down a ravine sooner or later.

The V-Rod is a much better option. You can red line it in every gear and leave a huge trail of sparks round every corner, and, with no ground clearance and 650lbs of lard to drag around, you are not actually going terribly fast.

The KTM works too.

The 955 is primarily for bombing runs up to Lisbon, sat on the motorway at speeds You Would Not Like To Hear In Court while I scan up ahead anxiously for a green Audi RS6 or a mica blue Subaru WRX - the unmarked filth cars.

When I take it out on the local twisties I come back white and shaking. Bends do tend to rush up a bit at 160MPH.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
My brother has an '06 675 as well... fun bike to ride, but I just can't stand the stinkbug riding position! I rode from Tallahassee Fl to Valdosta Ga (maybe 90-100 miles) one night on it and I had to stop about 3 times to stretch my legs and lower back out! Definitely a blast to run it up to the speed governor on the flat stretches though :-D
Can't speak for the 675, but how used to sports bikes are you? I rode them every day a primary transport for thirty years. When I got the V-Rod I thought it was the most uncomfortable bike I had ever ridden. It requires different muscle groups, and after a couple of hundred miles it was agony keeping my feet on the pegs. As for the wind blast...

Of course, I got used to it. Now I find it very comfy, although I avoid motorway runs because at 100 or over it batters your neck.

I rode my 955, a close relative, from London back to Portugal doing 500 miles in one hit every morning. I found it perfectly comfortable.

So I think to some extent it is what your muscles expect. Of course, it could be that the 675 is extra nasty i some way...

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
So I think to some extent it is what your muscles expect. Of course, it could be that the 675 is extra nasty i some way...
I'm definitely not saying the 675 was a bad bikem, just that I'm not used to the position of a sportbike. My brother (who rides the bike daily, and owns only this bike) can ride the bike for hours on end with no troubles. Its exactly that-- just getting used to the position. I'm just in no hurry to get used to it is all! I could ride my 1100 Shadow for hours and the only thing that would be sore is my neck from the wind buffeting if I was exceeding highway speeds too long.

Just wanted to clarify...I'm not bashing the 675 in any way- it was absoultely a fun bike! I'm just not inclined to get used to the sportbike riding position any time soon.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That's what has put me off gonzo sports bikes in general. If you putter about on them, which most people do, then the whole thing seems to me a bit pathetic, and the bike feels like it is laughing at you.

If you ride them as intended, here in Portugal you have minimal Pork to worry about, but you will end up down a ravine sooner or later.

The V-Rod is a much better option. You can red line it in every gear and leave a huge trail of sparks round every corner, and, with no ground clearance and 650lbs of lard to drag around, you are not actually going terribly fast.

The KTM works too.

The 955 is primarily for bombing runs up to Lisbon, sat on the motorway at speeds You Would Not Like To Hear In Court while I scan up ahead anxiously for a green Audi RS6 or a mica blue Subaru WRX - the unmarked filth cars.

When I take it out on the local twisties I come back white and shaking. Bends do tend to rush up a bit at 160MPH.
On the street its definitely more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. I'm just not a fan of pushing 650lbs to the limit and my feet would always drag on the V-Rod before anything could get interesting.

For 'brisk' riding I'd rather be down a gear, rev'ing the heck out of a small in-line 4 or triple. I was even strongly considering a Kawasaki Ninja 250 for abusive street use. I figured I could probably be going absolutely batsh!t on one and still be 5-10mph under the speed limit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I could ride my 1100 Shadow for hours and the only thing that would be sore is my neck from the wind buffeting if I was exceeding highway speeds too long.

I'm just not inclined to get used to the sportbike riding position any time soon.
That's why I became a fan of the so-called hooligan bikes, street fighters, etc. All the speed of a sport bike, with a commuter friendly position, and the more even weight distribution to ease front-wheel liftoff if you are so inclined. Another plus: they have (inexplicably) close to zero popularity in the US, so you're not likely to run into a clone of yourself every couple of miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts