Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding along today my nano croaked, battery died, the music vanished... I bought a small external battery pack that uses four AAA's but left it home, have a second older iPod for emergencies, which was also at home...

Yes there are 12 volt charger cigar lighter plug in's but does anyone make a very low power 12 volt charger/dock system to wire in? I'd like to never loose the music again, and really don't want to carry a battery powered backup and the boosteroo battery powered amp... ...now, wouldn't it be loverly if...

a boosteroo like micro-amp and 12 volt charging/dock combined in a hidden place, the dock connector on an extended cord to fix down with velcro, in my case it would be fed to the leather airbox cover inside for a hidden nano with iJet bluetooth remote... Hell, I'd even put the nano hidden within the bike to get a solution like that... The bluetooth iJet solution is perfect for controling volume and flipping thru stuff...

My past experience was I did build in my 1995 Honda Aero 1100cc twin a plug in and installed it with a flip toggle switch... ...problem was that the transformer would drain the battery, which seems insane given the very minimal requirements of an iPod... Is there something which is extremely low powered out there to at least solve the poer problem?

If there is someone out there who has experience with a very very low power amp to boost the iPod volume I'd love to know that too, for it is two separate issues that seem to beg for solving here to integrate an iPod into a V-Rod elegantly and intelligently adding a supreme audio experience to the thrill of riding?

Who makes it, or what's your experience with these concerns?
Thanks in advance...

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I installed a Lighter adapter off my battery to power my GPS unit that takes little power when needed. I found out the hard way (Dead Battery) that the Power Adapter from the GPS unit has a little green light on it that stays on even when the GPS unit isnt plugged in which drained the battery eventually. My Car charger for the Ipod has a Blue light thats always on when plugged in so I now disconnect the adapter from the Lighter unit that I keep under the airbox when not in use. I have had no problems since but I do make sure to hook it up to the battery tender every night now.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
luxlamf said:
I installed a Lighter adapter off my battery to power my GPS unit that takes little power when needed. I found out the hard way (Dead Battery) that the Power Adapter from the GPS unit has a little green light on it that stays on even when the GPS unit isnt plugged in which drained the battery eventually. I now disconnect the adapter from the Lighter unit that I keep under the airbox. I have had no problems since but I do make sure to hook it up to the battery tender every night now.
Excellent advise, I have the pigtail on the bike but not the tender... I've had no problems thus far and want to try to keep it that way :)

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
VRay-PDX said:
Excellent advise, I have the pigtail on the bike but not the tender... I've had no problems thus far and want to try to keep it that way :)
I have but not seen one but have heard of adapters that plug into the Battery tender pigtail that people use for power, maybe someone here has that set up going.
Here is a link to a power thread
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61963&highlight=lighter
and a link to my set up
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=889274&postcount=20

either way I would get a tender if you plan on getting other devices going.

·
drag racer
422 Posts
Ive got a harness on mine for my electric gear. i was thinking of taking one end of the i pod charger and putting a couple of electrical connectors to plug in when needed.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
luxlamf said:
I have but not seen one but have heard of adapters that plug into the Battery tender pigtail that people use for power, maybe someone here has that set up going.
Here is a link to a power thread
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61963&highlight=lighter
and a link to my set up
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=889274&postcount=20

either way I would get a tender if you plan on getting other devices going.
:notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:
The butt ugly cigarette lighter hidden solves that problem, and gets me to the dock connector easily... Those pictures show me the reality of it, so now I have a good idea of what I want to do... Marvelous advise! Many thanks.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
yup, I have a 3-hole cig lighter thingy that plugs into the battery tender. I hide it in my tank bag for touring. Can plug in the iPod, cell phone, & XM radio at the same time, but I never do. Maybe I'll get around to finding a one-holer one of these days. Radio Shack. And you can get line splitters for the battery tender pig, and plug in your electric gear at the same time, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts