Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an avid cyclist, I find that I understand being venerable more than the average motorcycle rider. In other words, because I ride a road bike so much I understand what it's like to be "invisible" on the highway and how to deal with difficult situations like traffic, and no shoulders, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is my years of cycling experience combined with my years of motorcycling made me a better, safer rider. Much safer than those who started off and continue to be motorcyclists only.

..at least that's how I feel. I see people making "stupid" mistakes all the time on their motorbikes, and as a cyclist I say "wtf was he/she thinking?".

If you are just learning how to ride I highly recommend you take up cycling as well - just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There are good riders that have gone down and bad riders that haven't. All you can do is be aware and keep your fingers crossed.

I've ridden a lot of miles on a bicycle in my life and haven't ever put the bicycle or motorcycle down, but I won't tempt the luck gods and say it's because I'm a superior rider.

·
Registered abUser
299 Posts
I don't know about your area, but over here - because of the strict testing for getting a motorcycle license as opposed to the looser testing for a class 5 car license, and no testing as a cyclist - motorcyclists are definitely better than the other two groups.

Also I see many cyclists pull all kinds of stupid moves from riding on the sidewalk/shoulder to not stopping on stops/red lights. They don't signal. They don't wear gear. They are just not courtious and they don't give a damn.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Well here in the City the Peddlers as we call them cause themselves more trouble then they can handle. They have built side lane and paths for them and they insist on just pulling out when ever or however they want. ow we have kids on dirtbikes doing te same thing but at least they give some warning with the noise they make.

I rode bikes all my Childhood but my DirtBike/ motorcross days are what have saved me plenty of times. It never if you go down it's When you go down. and Knowing what to do or not to do is what most likely what will keep you out of the Hospital or even worse.

But hey whatever works for you and keeps you upright is all that matters.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but living here in CA and having to dodge road cyclist, I can tell you without any doubt, that there are just as many asshat cyclists as motorcyclists.
No doubt that being involved in both makes you more aware on the street though.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
WOW, OK...funny, sunday a bunch of butt hole CYCLIST felt they would jump in front of me on a narrow road, sad mistake on their part. they got a load of V/H in their ears.
i ride a bike myself & i would never even think about trying to ride side by side on a public road or well traveled back road but these spandex wearing a-holes do.
as far as riding SAFE...no such thing, you have to ride defensive & offensive & that means ride like an AYSSSHOLE, this will most likely keep you alive.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I guess what I'm saying is my years of cycling experience combined with my years of motorcycling made me a better, safer rider. Much safer than those who started off and continue to be motorcyclists only.
Back in the day I rode the bicycle 150 - 200 miles a week during the riding season. Being a cyclist probably hasn't hurt me as a motorcyclist, but I can't really say if it made me a safer rider or if cyclists are the safest riders. I think there are certain traits that all safe riders are likely to have -- such as consciousness of road and traffic conditions -- regardless of how those traits were developed. Seems to me there are probably plenty of safe motorcyclists who never spent much time on a bicycle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts