Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a TransAmericaTrail ride for 2012. My tentative plan includes a slightly modified R. I loved the bike when I rode it on a 400+ ride. I don't consider myself a fool, although I'm open to opinion. This will not be a show bike. Function over Form.

These are the type of roads it would encounter.

Here is the bike I rented.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Good Luck, I know you did the trans-alaskan so it should be to bad. I do have to say though my thoughts on dual-sports....

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
a concern I would have is the weight of the R. Dualsports are quite a bit lighter and allow you to "hop" over the rougher terrain. With the weight of the 'R', I think it would be more like trying to plow your way through the terrain.
Maybe with the correct tires it won't be so bad, but there's still a bunch of shit that can and will most likely rattle loose on the trail.
Radiator shroud is hanging too low and I envision that getting snagged on some trail debris. Would definitely fab some type of skid plates for the radiator areas & oil pan..

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
An R on the TransAmerica?! If you pull it off, I'd be very impressed. This is something I've looked into myself, and it's not the type of ride to be recommended on anything other than a dual sport. Maybe a very well modified R, skid plates, larger fuel tank, more aggressive tires, geared lower, etc. I won't say it can't be done, but it seems like much more effort that necessary. A good, inexpensive dual sport will get your further and with more comfort and less work. A 600+ lb bike on the trail doesn't sound like fun.

This is actually one of my life goals and hope to do it sooner than later. Maybe I'll pick up another bike by then and tag along in 2012 if you don't mind :)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
to get the "proper" tires you'll need to drop down to narrower wheels at the very least.

·
pronounced "shane"
441 Posts
Switch from belt drive to chain, too.

·
Free At Last
212 Posts
I have ridden off road a lot, including many enduros. The R is fine on gravel or dirt roads, if you are comfortable with some slip sliding around. The R is way too heavy and does not have enough suspension travel to go really off road or even rough double track. I'd hate to try to pick it up after you dump it.

If the trails are fairly tame, I'd ride a Suzuki V Strom, if rougher and the maintenance was tolerable, a big KTM. Otherwise a Kawasaki 650 single or the best all around dual sport, a Suzuki DR-Z 400 S

If you do it on the "R", I want to see your write up, you should have a lot of interesting stories.

Enjoy

Attachments

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
The R would not be an ideal dual sport, too heavy, belt drive, no where near enough suspension, probably no good tire options for the dirt, and even with mid controls good luck standing on the pegs to soak up the big hits. I sold my Vstrom before I left the States and it was a good, but not great dual sport. Being it was the 1000cc model it was quite a hand full to say the least when climbing anything loose and moderately steep. On the road it was a great platform to do long, 800 mile plus miles in a day and I never met a dirt road it did not like. I also had a Honda XR650L for more of an off road suited dual sport and after doing some work on the suspension that had near a foot of travel, front and rear, it was apparent that it was an 80 mph bike that isolated you from anything you ran over.

There are applications where bikes excel and others that were never intended. I personally do not feel the VRod is a great place to start for building a dual sport. If you do go that route I would love to read about the adventure.

Did you rent the KTM 990 adventure? I know some folks that own then and they swear by them.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Ever try to do an emergency off road drive belt repair? yeah, don't work very well. Chain drive as mentioned by Schoen is a must.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
R's are few and far between, and nothing like them will likely ever be built again. You couldn't find a less noble bike to hammer that way? Spare the R so we have some nice examples around in future decades. Please.
Btw, an XR-1200 would be a heck of a lot better off roader if you have to have a Harley.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Buy the KL650. Pretty much ready to go out of the box. Couple of throw-overs and hit the trail. The R is not suited for that kind of travel.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
I think the bike is too heavy, no where near enough suspension travel or tuning, radiator issues, belt issues, etc., etc. While a noble thought, I'd suggest a more purpose built bike.

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have taken my V apart many times & feel comfortable with it's layout. The motor is heavy, but strong. If I don't have to worry about the motor, the rest is easy. I own a KTM 450 that is not as reliable as I would like & definitely not as comfortable. When I stop, I must tilt the bike 5 degrees to touch ground.

So, I agree with the 12 out of 14 that say it is not the ideal choice. I'm just thinking out loud @ this point.
I would keep the belt with a 26 tooth sprocket.
If dual sport tires aren't available, new wheels would happen.
A bash plate would happen.
The suspension would be mod-ed.

I have used an R on some rough roads. When I stood on the pegs, it was smooth and agile. I lost a heat shield screw. Other than a Multistrada, I'm not sure which bike I like.

This 990 had all kinds of issues...

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think a Suzuki Cavalcade would make a geat freestyle motocrosser with the right handgrips and maybe some heavier fork oil. What do you guys think?

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think a Suzuki Cavalcade would make a geat freestyle motocrosser with the right handgrips and maybe some heavier fork oil. What do you guys think?
I'd change the fenders...

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ever try to do an emergency off road drive belt repair? yeah, don't work very well. Chain drive as mentioned by Schoen is a must.
Wow. Talk to me. What are the issues? I would have gone the other way thinking belt drive is indestructible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts