Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!
I'll be test riding a 2008 Vrod tomorrow, weather permitting and have a few questions.
My current ride is a CBR1000F.
How does the handling compare to my CBR?
Do I need to be concerned about riding the twisties hard?
What adjustments, if any did the folks that rode crotch rockets have to make after they made the switch?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Welcome Grogman!
It'll handle the twists and turns quite well although not on a level that you are used to with your Honda. It will lean far enough to get rid of any trace of chicken strips on the back tire but take your time to get used to the very different riding stance.
Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Before my V-Rod, I rode sports bikes. Specifically a ZX-10 and ZX-14. So, when I made the transition, it was a transition. The V-Rod was designed to go fast in a straight line. It does this very well. The geometry of the bike (and to a lesser degree the size of the rear tire) mean that the V-Rod will not turn like a short wheel based sportsbike. When you take it out the first time, make sure you enter your turns slower than when you were on your crotch rocket. Also, while the Brembo brakes on the V-Rod are really pretty good by power cruiser standards, they have a lot more to stop than your old bike and they are just not as effective overall as the setup on a sports bike. Throttle response is not a "twitchy" as a sports bike either, but the V-Rod has noticeably better out of the hole acceleration. The center of gravity is WAY lower on the V-Rod which makes for much, much better low speed control of the bike. It is also, at least for me, far more comfortable to ride for any distance than a sports bike.
But as others have stated, ride it and make an objective decision for yourself. And have fun. :D

Phatass

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Hi folks!
I'll be test riding a 2008 Vrod tomorrow, weather permitting and have a few questions.
My current ride is a CBR1000F.

How does the handling compare to my CBR?

Way "slower" but much much more "stable" and so, IMO, easier to ride long distances, relaxed. (My exes include RD400F. CBR600 & RC30 and I just bought a VTR1000F w/959 front end.)

Do I need to be concerned about riding the twisties hard?
Yes. You will have much less lean angle available b/4 hard parts start touching down and when they do you'll have ~650lb to wrestle with rather than ~460 (IIRC).

What adjustments, if any did the folks that rode crotch rockets have to make after they made the switch?

Can't answer this one as I went the other way (standards -> crotchers -> cruisers -> baggers -> Street Rod (which, with your crotcher heritage, is what you really want, if you but knew it) -> BMW K100RS -> Husaberg dirty bike -> KTM Adv -> VTR1000F (last week) and note that I have 5 runners to choose among now with a couple of projects in various stages of stalledoutishment. I don't have any problem switching between bikes, but then I don't jump on an unfamiliar ride and go balls-out, either.

Any help would be appreciated.
That's my best shot - hope it helps.

·
Sock Monkey Express
1,067 Posts
I came off of (and still have actually) a Honda ST1300 Sport Touring bike- damn near 775 wet.
I could toss that thing around like a crotch rocket, drag pegs on a very regular basis and pushed the tires with in a few mm to the edge. And did that 2 up at times.
Love that sport bike feel.

Then I got on a V-Rod.
You can toss the bike around. Sorta.
It's over-all stance (at least with forward controls like mine has) makes it feel a little firmer as others have said because of the lower center of gravity. But throwing it into corners isn't something I would attempt like you could on your CBR. It's just not that kinda bike.
Remember, on the V-Rod, you are more "sitting" than in a crouched position like on a sport bike.
A sport bike puts your whole body more into the bike with that crouched riding position.
When cornering you can stand on the outer peg and slide you chest across the tank, push your shoulder into the turn and lean you knee way out. Not so much on a V-Rod.
You are more of an "active" part of the whole ride on a sport bike.
On cruisers or power cruisers as they are also known, you are still active yes, but again, you're "seated" more and you are less a "part" of the bike.

Braking is very good, but not like on a sport bike where you can stop on a dime and get 3 cents in change.
You're gonna spend the whole dime and maybe borrow a nickel along the way.

The adage of "if you feel you are going to fast for a corner push/lean harder" is different on a V-Rod.
Dragging pegs fine. Did it all the time on other bikes I've owned. Do it on my V-Rod as well (sometimes without wanting to!)
Dragging HARD parts that don't move up is something WAY different and a strange feeling.

Coming from a Yamaha Phaser, to an FZR, then to a Concours to my ST1300 and now my V-Rod, I can say it's going to be something very different for you as it was for me.
Especially if you have forward controls on the one you are riding.

I just happened to love it!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
A sport bike puts your whole body more into the bike with that crouched riding position.
The position is called Fetal.I once read where there was an intense study of positions on motorcycles to come up with the best for active riding to become part of the motorcycle.Even the position of the head for eye and inner ear control is was involved.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Totally different ride.

With the proper mod'ing (and deep pockets) you can come damn close though. OEM suspension sucks ass compared to crotch rockets - that can be remedied pretty effectively though ($3K later - see "deep pockets").

It's NOT a crotch rocket. Personally, I prefer my VRSC over the rockets I've ridden - mainly because I (potentially) can get in less trouble (both legal AND "pushing the envelope"). It's a slower top end (see: envelope and legal), and while I probably COULD RUN from "blue lights" on the Rod (versus pretty much ALWAYS RUN when I'm being stupid on a 'rocket), I'd have better luck talking the law out of a ticket on the HD, than on a ricer (as they usually spend most of the traffic stop admiring the bike).

The weight and balance differential is very noticeable (especially with the 240 rear, which looks badass, but is a low speed detriment to handling). You will not be knee scraping on a VR (as much as peg/exhaust scraping) as you would on a ricer.

It's a more "mature" ride for me personally (though I've gone balls out on mods to make it an immature one).

Could have afforded any ride I wanted to. I rode rice from ages 15-35, and HD's since then (50 going on 16 at the moment).

Welcome to the ASYLUM. Enjoy your stay, meds are at 0800 and 1700...

Rick

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you truely want a similar ride to your CR than find a "R". That has mid-controls and has the ability to keep up with your buddies in the twisties. I know, I ride with a NInja 1000 rider and he is always shaking his head!! Says, you got more experience(true), but the secret is the VRSCR!!

·
Sock Monkey Express
1,067 Posts
Totally different ride.

With the proper mod'ing (and deep pockets) you can come damn close though. OEM suspension sucks ass compared to crotch rockets - that can be remedied pretty effectively though ($3K later - see "deep pockets").

It's NOT a crotch rocket. Personally, I prefer my VRSC over the rockets I've ridden - mainly because I (potentially) can get in less trouble (both legal AND "pushing the envelope"). It's a slower top end (see: envelope and legal), and while I probably COULD RUN from "blue lights" on the Rod (versus pretty much ALWAYS RUN when I'm being stupid on a 'rocket), I'd have better luck talking the law out of a ticket on the HD, than on a ricer (as they usually spend most of the traffic stop admiring the bike).

The weight and balance differential is very noticeable (especially with the 240 rear, which looks badass, but is a low speed detriment to handling). You will not be knee scraping on a VR (as much as peg/exhaust scraping) as you would on a ricer.

It's a more "mature" ride for me personally (though I've gone balls out on mods to make it an immature one).

Could have afforded any ride I wanted to. I rode rice from ages 15-35, and HD's since then (50 going on 16 at the moment).

Welcome to the ASYLUM. Enjoy your stay, meds are at 0800 and 1700...

Rick
The wife always says (when I get too rambunctious on the bike):
"Just because you can act like you're 22, doesn't mean you HAVE to!!!"

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Braking is very good, but not like on a sport bike where you can stop on a dime and get 3 cents in change.
You're gonna spend the whole dime and maybe borrow a nickel along the way.
The last roundup of 60 to 0 stopping distances I saw had V-Rods in the top ten. You can lean on that front Brembo pretty hard before it locks.

·
Sock Monkey Express
1,067 Posts
The last roundup of 60 to 0 stopping distances I saw had V-Rods in the top ten. You can lean on that front Brembo pretty hard before it locks.
Sadly I'm non-Brembo.

And my ST1300 stops like it's tied to a freakin' bus.
For a damn near 800 pound bike, it stops almost as good as a sport bike half it's weight.

I really like the V-Rod, but I don't think it could better a sport bike in braking.
And I'm not in a real hurry to really find out either!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts