Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The muscle handle bars are amazing. saved a lot of the bike

So Wednesday I am out on a twisting two lane road. Came to a town and I slow down to about 30mph in a 40mph zone. All of a sudden the back tire passes me on the right and the front tire slides out. Down I go. Lucky for me it was in front of a fire station and the EMTs where having training. They all came over, stopped any traffic, checked me out and picked up my bike. The bars took most of the force. Broke off the the clutch lever, grinded down the clutch reservoir Except for the bars being bent, shifter and left foot peg having road rash and a little scratch on the left muffle nothing else. The strength of the bars saved the rest of the bike. Found out later that a truck passing by previously dropped an open can of hydraulic fluid on the road. I'm ok except some road rash on my left arm and elbow. Along with a few other aches and pains. Biggest pain will be dealing with the insurance company.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Praise God you are doing as well you are! Sounds like incredible odds that it all happened the way it did. I always think of the rebuilding process as a chance to shop for better cheaper aftermarket parts and do some fun things to the bike :)

Glad you are doing ok!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Just spoke to the insurance company to make sure the check was coming to me and not the shop. Plan on doing just what you said about aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm glad you are ok. I just went through the whole thing my self, 3 insurance companies, HD service department BS and ripoffs. took over 2 months to get it fixed and I just got it back about 3 hours ago. My advice to you is get the bloated overdone estimate from the dealer, demand to be paid directly in cash from insurance, have the dealer do what you don't want to deal with, then start looking for used and aftermarket parts, I made out by several thousand dollars. I have to go back to the dealer and ask why I now have miss matched brake and clutch cylinders but they probably could not find the right parts. Its hard to ponder about how lucky we both were cuz we walked away when your pride and joy is all wrecked, but that really is the most important thing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike your exactly right. I just spoke to the insurance co and they will send the check to me. All I'm having the dealer do is install new bars and clutch lever. Would do that myself but they would charge me for storage and I'd have to trailer it home. Also just found out my elbow is fractured.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm glad you are ok. I just went through the whole thing my self, 3 insurance companies, HD service department BS and ripoffs. took over 2 months to get it fixed and I just got it back about 3 hours ago. My advice to you is get the bloated overdone estimate from the dealer, demand to be paid directly in cash from insurance, have the dealer do what you don't want to deal with, then start looking for used and aftermarket parts, I made out by several thousand dollars. I have to go back to the dealer and ask why I now have miss matched brake and clutch cylinders but they probably could not find the right parts. Its hard to ponder about how lucky we both were cuz we walked away when your pride and joy is all wrecked, but that really is the most important thing.
Getting the check directly to you typically only works if you own the bike outright. Unless the adjuster makes a mistake, they are supposed to check for lien and if one on the title, issue check to you and the bank. This protects the banks interest.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting the check directly to you typically only works if you own the bike outright. Unless the adjuster makes a mistake, they are supposed to check for lien and if one on the title, issue check to you and the bank. This protects the banks interest.
You are correct but what point are you trying to make? I stated the check was going to be mailed to me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It sounds like you have full coverage which is comprised of 2 separate parts, bodily injury is under a separate part. Even if you settled with the repair portion, you should still get something for your elbow, road rash, cuts , lost time at work and all that stuff..they can't force you to get repairs done anywhere and must pay you cash if you demand. I believe that is Federal law.Good luck..Ask for more than you want because they will negotiate for days or even years over bodily injury. I know

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
It sounds like you have full coverage which is comprised of 2 separate parts, bodily injury is under a separate part. Even if you settled with the repair portion, you should still get something for your elbow, road rash, cuts , lost time at work and all that stuff..they can't force you to get repairs done anywhere and must pay you cash if you demand. I believe that is Federal law.Good luck..Ask for more than you want because they will negotiate for days or even years over bodily injury. I know
Yea I am trying to figure out the medical stuff now. Since my elbow is fractured that should be worth something. No lost work though since I am retired. Of course now my time is more valuable than when I was working :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the latest update. First on the medical side. Got a second set of X-rays and they show there is no fracture. I'm actually almost all healed. Now to the bike. Got the estimate back from the dealer. Right at $5k including labor. When I went to pick up the estimate I was looking at the estimate with the service guy as we looked over the bike and they missed two items, the airbox cover and windshield. They corrected both of them. Now it took them 10 days to get me the estimate. Now they tell me they can replace the handle bars and left grip, clutch master cylinder etc on 6/26. That's not going to fly with me. Once the insurance company has the estimate I will be picking up the bike and doing the work myself. I'll be looking for some parts on here and fleabay. Might as well do some upgrades.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Your crashed bike is now in H-D Lock-up ?!

The H-D dealers are just there to make any crash repair situation more difficult. To get an estimate on my bike ( which was still rideable after I replaced a bent clutch lever & footpeg bracket bolts ) they told me to drop it off and in 3 weeks the estimate would be complete. GREAT !? NOT. Asked them if they could call me when an appointment opened up in 3 weeks for my estimate ? NO. Gotta leave the bike, let them push it around, leave it outside etc. So I got the part #'s and cost for all H-D needed items from parts dept, walked into service and got the service writer to give me flat rate labor costs for parts R & R, clutch bleeding etc. and walked out with everything needed from H-D for the insurance co. one hour later. Gave him a $ 20 tip for 3 weeks of saved riding time. I just think the dealers are not fond of estimating & fixing crashed bikes, it's a big hassle that's for sure - I got the check, bought replacement H-D and other parts as needed, did it myself and ended up with thousands left over for my crash bumps and hassle. Remember too you may have rental bike coverage if your bike is really unrideable and have to leave it a couple months. :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your right they are a pita. I just faxed the estimate to my insurance co. Not sure of the rental though. I tried getting a bike a couple years ago when a truck backed into my Deuce and they would only pay $40 a day. Of course I made them pay me the $40 for each day the bike was in the shop. My rough estimate is that I can repair the bike for about $2k and the remainder will be for my hassle.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can be SURE that there are several of the more expensive items don't even need replacement. I never ran into thieves like at the HD service department. They act like they are doing you a big favor by agreeing to do the repair work. I passed on several items that cost huge prices. A 300 dollar part that has a small scratch where it can even be seen is worthy of a DIY repair attempt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2017 v rod muscle, I change custom handle , and move dometer to air box cover, so I need new clutch and throttle cable or not, or I can use stock cable, is it fit or not, please show me , thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my 2017 v rod muscle, I change custom handle , and move dometer to air box cover, so I need new clutch and throttle cable or not, or I can use stock cable, is it fit or not, please show me , thanks
We need more information. What bars are you going to? What amount of rise and pull back versus the standard muscle bars?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts