Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

801 - 820 of 874 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
So, um, yeah.

I found out that Eagle has a *new* Gen-III Daymaker that has a halo (upgraded from the lower-intensity Gen-II) that Keith (i.e. Altered State Design) didn't stock.

So, I ordered one.

Since my wife has a first-gen Daymaker on her bike, I'm going to swap my current Eagle Gen-III over to her bike and install the halo one on mine. Should look interesting on the F.

R.
Looking forward to seeing your results! :cheers:

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #802
Cool. I just got an email back from Eagle with answers to a few questions--

The most interesting being that this particular model (8900BG3H) Gen-III light, the halo stays on for both Low *and* High beams. It's the only Eagle model that does that; on all of the others, the halo goes out when the High beam comes on.

Yay.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #804
I posted this in the "General" section, but I figured I'd give it a shot here since it's applicable to the thread....

Could someone pretty please Photoshop the aluminum headlight bucket and trim ring to the same gloss black as the headlight visor in these pics?

Thanks-- trying to get an idea for the look and I have zero skills or access to any type of software that would allow me to do this.

R.

Attachments

·
Black Denim F
1,046 Posts
Fly, I remember you said you were not a fan of the look of halo headlights, what made you change your mind?

I do think the gloss black bucket and trim ring would look good, imo.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #806
Fly, I remember you said you were not a fan of the look of halo headlights, what made you change your mind?
Three reasons (in no particular order):

1. The look grew on me over time. Actually, I like the look of the wider/completely solid Gen-II halo better, but its got a lot less light output compared to the Gen-III (20% less)-- since I'm a function over form guy, the Gen-II was right out. Also, you can only have the halo on for the low or the high beam-- not both.

2. I really like the idea of the halo being on for both high and low beams-- *especially* in the daytime. And? More lumens-- yay. LED's aren't quite as visible in daylight as a traditional incandescent, so the halo will help with cager visibility-- I hope. Keith had mentioned this when I got the Gen-III from him, but the only halo model he had was the Gen-II and I didn't want to take the hit on the light output.

3. My wife has a first-generation H-D Daymaker on her Nightster and I really wanted to up the lumens for her (it's about 40% less compared to the Gen-III). This gave me an excuse to get the halo model for my bike and swap my new Gen-III over to her bike. Win-Win on that one.

R.

PS: The Eagle lights website has some pretty cool lights-- in the 5 3/4" size (go here: https://www.eaglelites.com/collections/5-3-4-led-headlights ). They have a pricey but slick looking Infinity Beam as well as red and blue Gen-III Daymakers. Those might look pretty interesting on the right bike.

PPS: I realize that if you search AliExpress for "5 3/4 Daymaker", you'll get hits of what appear to be similar lights for some truly ludicrously cheap pricing. They may or may not be the same, but I was willing to pay a bit more for something that's known to work, has a warranty and has real CREE LED's and Phillips lenses-- I don't think that lighting is somewhere that I want to experiment on blowing things up or failing at an inopportune time. My AliExpress bike part purchases have been sort of hit and miss lately-- some parts are awesome, but some look like they're from the reject bin at Wally World.
R.

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #807
I do think the gloss black bucket and trim ring would look good, imo.
I'm torn. When I get the new Daymaker, I'm going to "mock up" the housing with some black vinyl I have (real-world Photoshop?) to see how it looks.

At the moment, I'm starting to think that a gloss black ring and housing might be the way to go.

I'm interested to hear what others think.....

R.

Attachments

·
Black Denim F
1,046 Posts
I'm torn. When I get the new Daymaker, I'm going to "mock up" the housing with some black vinyl I have (real-world Photoshop?) to see how it looks.

At the moment, I'm starting to think that a gloss black ring and housing might be the way to go.

I'm interested to hear what others think.....

R.

I'm torn too. Looking at both pics side-by-side I'm not sure which one looks better. That Infinity light on Eagle's website looks interesting.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #809
Cool. Very cool. Member Sharkwood (Thanks!) did a quick bit of Photoshop for me so a HUGE shout-out for his help. Thanks, man!

I'm *definitely* going with gloss black to match the visor. It's a much more integrated look.

My Gen-III halo light is on order and should be here in a few days. I need to make sure that there are no changes that would affect fitment into the Altered State Design housing, then I'll bring the housing in to get powder coated.

Sadly, my local powdercoat guy does great work but he can be a bit slow to do small pieces/parts.

But that's why I have a second bike, right?

R.

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #811
So. The headlamp arrived and it looks good. The way it's wired, it looks like I can run a jumper from the hot-switched wire on the connector that I undid the "FBJ Mod" from up to the wire controlling the halo. Not only will the halo be on with the low and high beam, it will also light up when I switch to ACC prior to startup. That's a somewhat elegant way to set it up with only a little wiring pain. Now, I just have to figure out what I did with the spare wire pins I had laying around. They've got to be somewhere.

The minister of war and finance and I discussed the color of the headlight housing today-- ended up going with a satin black to provide a bit of contrast to the glossy black DX visor. Hopefully will be done early next week. If not, I'll have to pick it up after Labor Day since I'm flying pretty much all next week.

R.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #812
Well, today I was going to swap my Gen-III light to my wife's bike, but somehow it got scratched when it was rattling around the garage.

So, I decided to hook up the new Halo Gen-III to at least see what it looked like since I'm waiting for the mount to get powder coated.

Short answer? LOVE IT!

VERY visible in daylight.

I installed it permanently on my wife's Nightster, and ordered myself another one.

Here's a low & high pic to get an idea. The image is a lot brighter-- it just didn't photograph well on my iPhone.

R.

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #813
I got a little bored yesterday while I'm waiting for the new replacement, replacement headlight and the powder coated mount and I decided to research the wiring on the Gen-III Halo.

I had emailed Eagle to double-check a few things, and here's the "final answer".

Yes, if you run a wire from the "Halo wire" (see pic below) to the orange wire on the H-D harness (bike side, see below) the halo will come on when you flip to aux.

Ok, so far, so good. However, I couldn't remember how our headlights work, since I'd had halogen, HID & LED in at one time or the other, in addition to the FBJ Mod, so I plugged in the LED headlight I have and tested.

The headlight comes on when you flip the switch to Run. Which means that the halo will come on as well. I never use the Aux position (honestly, I'm not quite sure why it's even there), so all of the wiring research and effort to do this is pretty much wasted.

I know in Europe, the Aux position and small running light (that's what that tiny hole in the stock bucket is for) are required, and you can leave the bike in aux and the light in the headlamp lights up (and I think the tail?)-- but in the US, I can't think of use.

So, this falls into the "Neat idea, not worth the effort" category. But, I figured I'd post up because someone might come up with a reason or want to do it.

R.

PS: Ignore the writing and wiring on the headlight side of the diagram below-- it's from the FBJ Mod-- I didn't feel like digging out a clean diagram).

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Would the 7" one they offer fit?

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #817
Did a little re-wiring today.

I wired in a SAE to USB connector. I used some stupidly-strong double-sided tape to stick it on the side of the Budman riser; I'm still not sure if I like it there, but it'll do for now. I'll run a USB from there to my iPhone in the Mob Armor mount when I need a moving map.

I wired it along the main wires and out just to the top of the radiator shroud. I have a SAE connector there that I use for a battery tender. It's hot-wired to the battery, so whenever I want to use the USB for my iPhone, I just plug the two together. It seems a reasonable solution without having the USB always hot-- that will prevent parasitic battery draw when the bike sits for a while.

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #818
Since I had the DX visor off to install the Altered States mount, I cleaned up my garage door opener a bit-- out of sight and works great with no wiring buffoonery.

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #819
I got my Altered State Design Daymaker housing back today from powder coat and installed it.

The satin black? Far, far better choice than the bare aluminum- at least on my setup. The DX visor is gloss black but (and I'm glad I listened to my wife for a change) the contrast works really well-- especially withe the other gloss/matte stuff on the bike. I think gloss would have been a "big old blob of black"-- I'm definitely glad I went with the contrast.

Since I was there anyway, I figured I might as well wire the halo up to the ACC circuit..... but I did it the right way.

I got a female connector from H-D ($1.07 plus tax), connected some spare wire to it and inserted it across from the ORANGE (male connector) wire in the bike's wiring harness. This orange wire isn't used on domestic bikes-- it's for the International version that has a little tiny running light in the bucket.

From there, I just ran it up inside the H4 to H9/H11 harness that Keith at Altered States made for me (thanks, Keith!). Then, I put a connector that matched the one on the halo headlight wire, put everything together and then taped the bejeezus out of everything to a) provide waterproofing and b) hide the goofy bright green and blue H4 plugs.

So now, when you switch to ACC, the halo (and gauge cluster lights) come on-- probably useless, but it looks cool and will be an attention-getter if you're just sitting on the bike waiting to ride. Flip the switch to IGN, and the low beam and halo come on. In this configuration, you get the halo with both the low and high beam.

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #820
Here are a few pictures of the wiring. I also was picking up some light scatter from the aluminum bottom of the fork mount, so I put a small strip of matte black Oralite film that I had laying around the garage-- problem solved, and you really can't see it when the light is mounted.

Attachments

801 - 820 of 874 Posts