Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

781 - 800 of 874 Posts

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #781
I got around to installing the Gen-III Daymaker (black lens) with the polished Altered States Design housing today.

The look is growing on me and the wife really likes it. It's a pretty significant departure to what the bike has looked like for years, so it's going to take me a while to get used to it. Overall though, I really like the look-- although I've caught myself walking by a few times going "Wait...what?".

Installation was pretty straightforward-- I had Keith add a stock H-D wiring harness, so this was completely "plug-and-play".

I added a locking star-washer on each side when I bolted it up. I added the washer between the housing and the DX visor just to make it a little bit more secure. Tolerances were fairly tight, but it installed pretty easily.

The plug from the light to the H-D wiring harness was a little too big (as in: "It's freakin' HUGE), and when run straight down, of course it hit EXACTLY where it goes behind the side ports (the parts with the mesh on them). That made it so I couldn't install the side grills, so I had to think on that for a few minutes.

The solution was to run the plug UP, zip tie it, and run the H-D harness down alongside all of the other wires that go into the back of the side grill-- there was plenty of wire, and that got the plug a) out of the way b) off of the heat sinks and c) solved my "excess wire" problem.

Just to make sure, I wrapped the plug in electrical tape-- it's pretty much invisible and out of the way behind the visor, but I figured it couldn't hurt to give it an extra layer of water proofness and it covered up the excessively bright blue(!) and green(!) wiring plugs.

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
A few more pics installed. After getting it all put back together, I'm going to say that it looks great with the DX visor-- it's definitely eye-catching and a pretty significant visual change from the stock headlight bucket.

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #783
Pictures of the low beam and high beam in daylight.

One convenient thing is that the low beam stays on when the high beam is activated-- you just get more LED's lighting up, so no need to do the "FBJ Mod"-- in fact, if you go this way and you have the wires swapped, you'll want to swap them back to original on the H-D harness.

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #784
Low beam at night. I haven't actually ridden with the light yet, but on the whole, I think the light pattern is a fair bit different than the SoCalMotoGear HID's that I had in the stock housing-- there are two very bright spots, and then lower illumination for the "fill" surrounding them. With the HID's, there was a more even light distribution pattern. On the plus side, the Daymaker does seem to illuminate nicely when you are in the turn.

I'll have to ride it at night to really get a good feel for the pattern. I guesstimated where I'd want the beam, so it may be off a bit. Sadly, I forgot to take pictures of the SoCalMotoGear light pattern before I took it out of the bike, so I'm going strictly by memory for comparison.

However, considering that you a) don't have to deal with rewiring the bike to get the low and high beams to come on together, b) you don't have to figure out where to hide ballasts, or dremel into your airbox to place them there, c) you don't have to deal with the ignition time of the HID and D) this is a truly "plug and play" solution, I'll say it's an improvement from the HID's overall.

And, it looks cool on the bike-- and that's a good percentage of important, right?

EDIT: After talking to Keith about the beam pattern, I'm revising my opinion about the differences in compared to the HID; this one has a more significant cutoff that prevents glare from hitting oncoming traffic-- that's why the beam looked different to me; I was just used to my old HID setup. The Daymaker has a little bit more of a rectangular "hot spot" in the center compared to the HID, but that's NOT a bad thing-- and the sharply defined cutoff is a bonus for oncoming traffic.

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #785
High beam at night. More overall "fill".

One thing I noticed is that you do get a fair bit of reflection (especially with the high beam) off of the bottom of the triple tree on the F. The stock headlight bucket sort of pushes out on the bottom, and that eliminates the problem in the stock configuration. But, due to the fact that the Daymaker is a lot more vertical (and therefore the bottom is closer to the lower horizontal portion of the triple tree), you get more light coming off of the bottom and hitting the polished aluminum on the bottom of the tree. Not a big deal, but it took me a moment to figure out what was going on. Eventually if I get bored, I'll put a piece of matte vinyl on the top of the bottom of the triple tree.

Oh-- and Big Props to Keith at Altered State Design. GREAT to work with, very good communication, and the housing looks great! Highly, HIGHLY recommended!

The only thing I had trouble deciding about was getting the housing in polished aluminum or black. Wife was a proponent of gloss black to match the DX visor, but after installing, I think that would have been a big chunk of black sitting on the front of the bike. Additionally, the lip/ring around the Daymaker is pretty burly-- I suspect you'd get a lot of rock chips and the like over time. If I had an "all black" theme on the bike, I'd go with the black housing. But for how my bike is setup, I think the polished look works better. It gives a little bit more visual contrast to the front end.

Attachments

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #786
Ok-- NOW I'm done.

I really, really am. Time to focus on finishing up the farkling of my GS and my wife's Nightster.

If anyone ever has questions on how (or why) I did something, please feel free to drop me a PM; I got a lot of help from various forum members along the way and it's only fair to do the same for anyone who has questions. Some day when I'm really bored, I'll have to take individual pics of each mod and do a write-up on the pro's and con's. But that won't be for a good long while!

Here's the FINAL list. All done now.....

2012 Harley-Davidson Vivid Black VRSCF Muscle

Body & Trim
- Black hexagonal aluminum valve stem caps with yellow radiation symbol inserts
- Bicep Designs front axle bolt covers
- Bicep Designs “VRSCF” fork badges
- Front amber side reflectors removed
- VRSCDX Vivid Black headlight visor
- Budman’s 2.5” pullback riser & aluminum wire cover
- K-Source 2” convex blind spot mirrors
- H-D satin black clutch & brake hand levers
- San Diego Customs ¾ turn throttle sleeve
- Avon gloss black Custom Contour hand grips
- H-D turn signal extension caps
- Pyramid front fender extender
- Bicep Designs radiator intake armor
- Speed Dealer Customs gloss black extra-long shift peg
- VRSCF powdercoated gloss black clutch and brake foot controls
- Roland Sands Design gloss black 45° Moto rider foot pegs
- Stainless steel footpeg bolts w/ nylock nuts
- Ghostrider Customs satin black hexagonal shift linkage
- Kuryakyn gloss black V-Shield horn cover
- 3M sound deadening pad on underside of outer airbox cover
- H-D powdercoated gloss black extended length coolant hose cover
- VRSCR powdercoated gloss black front pulley cover
- Trask aluminum oil dipstick
- Bitchin' Seat Company custom embossed leather Wifebeater seat w/ rider & pillion nitro-gel inserts
- Bitchin' Seat Company powdercoated satin black articulated seat hinge
- H-D under-seat document case
- Tiger Racing powdercoated satin black upper & lower 240 belt guard
- Superchicken aluminum swingarm pivot covers
- Powdercoated satin black exhaust spacers/ OEM passenger footpeg delete
- Rear red side reflectors removed
- VRSCAW powdercoated gloss black passenger foot peg supports
- Roland Sands Design gloss black 45° Moto passenger foot pegs
- VRSCF luggage rack
- 3M clear bra paint protection film on rear fender
- Bicep Designs rear axle bolt covers
- Custom fabricated tail tidy
- J&P Cycles powdercoated gloss black license plate backing plate
- Radiantz gloss black LED license plate frame w/ H-D wiring connectors
- “VRSCF” personalized Colorado license plate

Mechanical & Performance
- VRSCF side grill backing plates modified to allow unrestricted airflow
- Black Outerwears hydroscopic fabric installed behind modified backing plates
- Cerakote V-171 Turbine Coat 1800°F ceramic coated exhaust head pipes
- DEI Reflect-a-Cool radiant heat barrier installed on backs of exhaust heat shields
- Amsoil EaAM43701 high-flow nanofilter air filter
- Upper airbox cover removed & lower airbox modified w/ H-D SE Stage II cutouts
- IAT sensor relocation
- DEI Reflect-a-Cool radiant heat barrier installed on exterior of lower airbox
- H-D Gold spark plugs
- Amsoil EaOM136C nanofilter oil filter
- Dimple magnetic oil drain plug
- Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic motorcycle oil (4.97 quarts)
- Stant locking gas cap
- TAB Performance “no logo” slip-on exhaust pipes
- TAB Performance 1.75” exhaust baffles
- Helix Racing high density exhaust packing
- TTS MasterTune ECM reprogrammer
- Dyno tune & custom fuel map by Randy’s SpeedWrench of Denver, CO

Tires, Brakes & Suspension
- Metzeler ME880 Marathon 120/70/19 front tire
- Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Axxion fork cartridges
- Lyndall Racing Gold-Plus brake pads
- ATE Type 200 brake fluid
- Metzeler ME880 Marathon XXL 260/40/18 rear tire
- Race Tech G3-S Custom dual IFP internal reservoir shocks w/ adjustable rebound dampening

Lighting & Electrical
- Eagle Daymaker Generation-III LED headlamp w/ black reflector & H-D wiring harness
- Altered State Design polished aluminum Daymaker mount
- Bluegauges.com gauge cluster modification w/ blue backlight & red needles
- Heat Demons internal 1” handlebar grip warmers w/ black led control perch
- Antigravity ATX12-20 600cca lithium ion phosphate (LiFePO4) battery
- Optimate TM-471 lithium battery charger/maintainer
- Optimate SAE connector
- Fiamm Freeway Blaster 130 dB low-tone trumpet horn
- Mo-Door remote garage door opener (6” length)
- H-D Smart Siren II security system (100 mA draw)

Luggage & Touring
- H-D Compact Mid-Sport windshield
- Budman’s custom-length 3.25” upper windshield mount post extenders
- Fabricated powdercoated satin black hardware for lower windshield mounting clamps
- Mini 2 compact vehicle compass
- Mob Armor Mob Mount Claw (Small) cell phone mount
- Timbuk2 bike seat pack storage pods (2)
- VRSCF powdercoated gloss black passenger foot peg supports
- Roland Sands Design gloss black 45° Moto passenger foot pegs
- Stainless steel footpeg bolts w/ nylock nuts
- VRSCF saddlebags w/ “removable” modification
- H-D VRSC CVO indoor bike cover

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #788
"finished" ? now where have I heard that before :)
Yeah- but this time I *really* mean it! ;)

Besides, other than buffoonery like a turbo, bb or blower, not much else could be done-- and I LIKE being married!

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
I got around to installing the Gen-III Daymaker (black lens) with the polished Altered States Design housing today.

The look is growing on me and the wife really likes it. It's a pretty significant departure to what the bike has looked like for years, so it's going to take me a while to get used to it. Overall though, I really like the look-- although I've caught myself walking by a few times going "Wait...what?".

Installation was pretty straightforward-- I had Keith add a stock H-D wiring harness, so this was completely "plug-and-play".

I added a locking star-washer on each side when I bolted it up. I added the washer between the housing and the DX visor just to make it a little bit more secure. Tolerances were fairly tight, but it installed pretty easily.

The plug from the light to the H-D wiring harness was a little too big (as in: "It's freakin' HUGE), and when run straight down, of course it hit EXACTLY where it goes behind the side ports (the parts with the mesh on them). That made it so I couldn't install the side grills, so I had to think on that for a few minutes.

The solution was to run the plug UP, zip tie it, and run the H-D harness down alongside all of the other wires that go into the back of the side grill-- there was plenty of wire, and that got the plug a) out of the way b) off of the heat sinks and c) solved my "excess wire" problem.

Just to make sure, I wrapped the plug in electrical tape-- it's pretty much invisible and out of the way behind the visor, but I figured it couldn't hurt to give it an extra layer of water proofness and it covered up the excessively bright blue(!) and green(!) wiring plugs.
a really good look

·
VRSCF
1,269 Posts
Yeah- but this time I *really* mean it! ;)

Besides, other than buffoonery like a turbo, bb or blower, not much else could be done-- and I LIKE being married!
LOL ...I know that feeling. On a regular basis I consider the Holy moto supercharger, thinking that 180bhp ish would be nice in the V-Rod...then I talk sense into myself - after all, I could buy a very nice 180bhp bike for similar cost ...in fact I already have a very fast other bike in the garage anyway ....

..its just the desire to make the F the best it can be ...and a 180-200bhp motor would be real nice :)

You easily have one of the nicest F out there :)

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #791
LOL ...I know that feeling. On a regular basis I consider the Holy moto supercharger, thinking that 180bhp ish would be nice in the V-Rod...then I talk sense into myself - after all, I could buy a very nice 180bhp bike for similar cost ...in fact I already have a very fast other bike in the garage anyway ....

..its just the desire to make the F the best it can be ...and a 180-200bhp motor would be real nice :)

You easily have one of the nicest F out there :)
Thanks for the compliment!

When I started this project (and having done something similar to my dear, departed R) I didn't want to make the "fastest" F-- no matter what you do, no matter how you cheat (blower, turbo, big bore)-- at the end of the day, the bike is still a 600+ pound pig.

There's only so much you can do before physics rears its ugly head.

The bike is *plenty* fast-- and can easily get me in trouble-- either by performing above my riding level or by getting me in a situation where I'm going to have to start mugging my passengers to make bail.

So, the design philosophy was to make the bike the way *I* wanted it, and in doing so, keep it looking like it came from the factory that way.

Which sounds easy, but is actually pretty damn hard!

The bike is tuned for streetability-- the torque and power curves look like they could be scribed with a compass and protractor, but we didn't try to go for "absolute numbers"-- everything was designed to make the bike a hoot to ride without affecting rideability or longevity.

It's been a fun project, and I've done something similar to my wife's Nightster, and I've been having fun farkling my GS.

Sooner or later, I'll have to put them all together for a family portrait!

R.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Installed the Mo-Door garage door opener today.

Way, WAY easier than the H-D garage door opener (which coincidentally does NOT work with my new fancy belt-drive Chamberlin opener).

Basically, it's a waterproof universal transmitter with a 6", 12" or 18" pressure switch for a button. You can hide it pretty much anywhere.

Which I did.

Work good, last long time (I hope).
Very nice Rod. Is it battery powered like a regular garage door opener, or did you have to splice into the wiring? Did you mount it in front of the air cleaner, or under the DX headlight cowl? Also, where did you find the best price to order it from? ;)

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #793
Very nice Rod. Is it battery powered like a regular garage door opener, or did you have to splice into the wiring? Did you mount it in front of the air cleaner, or under the DX headlight cowl? Also, where did you find the best price to order it from? ;)
It's battery powered like a regular garage door opener, just weather-proof-- so no wire splicing required.

I mounted it under the DX cowl-- it fit perfectly, and the little tiny touch-pad (it's about the size of a quarter) fits right up near the edge. Completely invisible, but there if I need it.

I got it direct from Mo-Door. They were very helpful and gave me a discount for getting two. I got a 6" one for the F and an 18" one for the GS. The H-D one on my wife's bike doesn't work anymore because it's incompatible with my new garage door opener. However, my wife never rides without me, so that's not really much of an issue.

R.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Altered State headlight mount is awesome, and it does make for a very unique look. It's different, but I think it fits with the overall aesthetic of the bike. The polished aluminum goes really well with the Muscle.

I feel that the factory headlight was borderline dangerous, so the LED headlight was a must for me. It is a significant improvement, although I had to play with the aiming to really get it just right.

The amount of time, work, and money you have invested in your bike are really impressive and it looks great! I'm sure it rides like a dream as well :)

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #795
..... aaaaand, my bike is gone. At least for a while.

Seriously. I was done with it for what? A day?

My buddy's clutch fried in his Element, and he's vehicle-less for the next week or two until his next pay period (ouch!). Since he needed a set (pair?) of wheels to get around, I installed the saddlebags and shield and turned him loose on the F.

The "sort-of-easy-on/off" setup on the saddlebags? Money.

I don't think I've ever heard the bike being ridden since I'm always the rider. The Tab's w/ 1.75 baffles and Helix packing coupled to the TTS tune sound *damn* nice as the bike goes by-- a *very* nice growl, but not quite enough to get you in trouble with the Polezi or the HOA.

Now, hopefully I get it back in one piece.

Eventually.

On the plus side, there's always the GS.

R.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The headlight looks great man!!
Plus you’re a kickasz friend bro!

I’m rocking a Chinese led headlight and I couldn’t be happier. The light and the cut off it produces is perfect. All my friends love it

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #797
Well, I got the bike back from my buddy last night in preparation for going up to Sturgis.

Aaaaand then, I decided I'm not going up to Sturgis.

Too hard, too much to do, too little time.

Next year.

R.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #799
Amazing, just did the "RJ Mod without doing the RJ Mod" on my 2009 VRSCAW and it worked like a charm. Thank you @flybigjet.
You're very welcome.

NOTE: If you convert to a single LED (i.e. Eagle Daymaker, etc, where the low beam is *always* on, and additional LED's are active when you toggle the high beam), you MUST undo the "FBJ Mod" (or "RJ Mod" for that matter). It won't work otherwise.

Also, the "FBJ Mod" will NOT work on the 2002 A; the wiring harness is different.

R.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #800
So, um, yeah.

I found out that Eagle has a *new* Gen-III Daymaker that has a halo (upgraded from the lower-intensity Gen-II) that Keith (i.e. Altered State Design) didn't stock.

So, I ordered one.

Since my wife has a first-gen Daymaker on her bike, I'm going to swap my current Eagle Gen-III over to her bike and install the halo one on mine. Should look interesting on the F.

R.

Attachments

781 - 800 of 874 Posts