Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I let someone ride my bike--while I rode another bike--and examined my light.

The headlight was so lame I could harldly believe it. Both the high beam and the low beam were very meek and you could see a bike coming down the road.

On my last bike i had HID, but I have been told those make the plastic melt on the VRod.

Is there any other lighting scheme for the front to make the bike more visible? What other headlight model might fit that it would be ok to use HID.? Anyone has engine guard lights mounted?

thanks for any helpful comments

·
Registered
135 Posts
DDM makes HID kits that work on our bikes. I run two 55W HID bulbs at the 6000k range. The brightness is 100x better than stock.

There are quite a few topics in the forums discussing this, just search for HID, HID conversion, DDM and you will find what you need.

If you go with the dual HID conversion, make sure you splice the low beam light to stay on when you run the high beam. Otherwise you will be riding in the dark until the HID ballast warms up. FYI: at 60mph that is about 100ft a second in the dark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drop-In replacement with Silverstar from Sylvania is supposed to be good. They have 3 levels now for 9003/H4 bulb. Regular, ultra and ZXE. ZXE is the latest and greatest with claims to be approaching HID.

I plan to try the ZXE soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drop-In replacement with Silverstar from Sylvania is supposed to be good. They have 3 levels now for 9003/H4 bulb. Regular, ultra and ZXE. ZXE is the latest and greatest with claims to be approaching HID.

I plan to try the ZXE soon.
Let us know how it works? ...I hope this is a new technology on bulbs...if it is a lot hotter than regular bulbs???

I used to buy Sylverstar from my Goldwing and they broke frequently...plus, they were not much brighter...

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
HID or nothing

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
if you want quick and easy go with the Sylvania silverstar replacement bulbs
the DX bulb is H4 and the rest of the models use H9 for hi beam and H11 for low beam
under $50 a pair at any autoparts store

·
Registered
135 Posts
if you want quick and easy go with the Sylvania silverstar replacement bulbs
the DX bulb is H4 and the rest of the models use H9 for hi beam and H11 for low beam
under $50 a pair at any autoparts store
He has a 2012 DX which has the headlamp that takes H9 & H11 bulbs like the muscles (F's) and A & R bikes too.

·
George
5,411 Posts
ddm makes hid kits that work on our bikes. I run two 55w hid bulbs at the 6000k range. The brightness is 100x better than stock.

There are quite a few topics in the forums discussing this, just search for hid, hid conversion, ddm and you will find what you need.

If you go with the dual hid conversion, make sure you splice the low beam light to stay on when you run the high beam. Otherwise you will be riding in the dark until the hid ballast warms up. Fyi: At 60mph that is about 100ft a second in the dark.
+1

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
The HID works like a tubelight. so actually it's creating less heat than a filiament bulb.

The high power 70 or 90 watts bulbs get hotter and can melt the connector. have seen the pictures on this forum.

Dont expect wonders from the HID but it 'helps'

·
Registered
402 Posts
HID ozzie21

Today I let someone ride my bike--while I rode another bike--and examined my light.

The headlight was so lame I could harldly believe it. Both the high beam and the low beam were very meek and you could see a bike coming down the road.

On my last bike i had HID, but I have been told those make the plastic melt on the VRod.

Is there any other lighting scheme for the front to make the bike more visible? What other headlight model might fit that it would be ok to use HID.? Anyone has engine guard lights mounted?

thanks for any helpful comments
I've got a few posts on this forum. Have a look at this one.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164556&highlight=

There's some pics and info.
HID...by DDM. Cheap, reliable, effective, easy to install, probably the cheapest and one of the best mods you'll do.
They don't send any instructions at all but if you download the video that I send the link to in my post you'll have no prob. Just watch it a couple of times and do as on the video.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
HID, or, LED.

·
Still riding!
184 Posts
A pair of Rigid Industries 1300 lumen LED's mounted on the engine guards. Turns night into day!

Royal British Legion Rider

1 - 18 of 18 Posts