Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2007 VRSCDX with "the clunk", just 1 month out of warranty. I`ve contacted 3 local HD dealerships , pointed out the service bulletin M-1215B and asked what they can do for me.
One dealership has not replied after one week.
One advised to follow the M-1215B repair at a cost of £98.
One offered to replace the alloy steering column with the steel one at a cost of £95.
So it looks like I`m paying for it but which way to go? Any ideas on the pro`s and con`s of both solutions? thanks, Daz.

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
You can always retorque the existing stem nut. I did that about 15,000 miles ago and haven't heard the clunk since. And it's free!

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Watch the video... link in my Sig.

Do it your self.

rod

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unbelievable!
Can we clarify which is unbelievable?

Is it the prices the dealer is charging, or is it that as a newbie I am not as knowledgeable as others on here?

Just looking for advice, stem nut kit or steel column, either way it gets done by a payed professional as I`ve neither the tools or time.

Thanks again, daz.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Limited to the choices you present, I'd go for the steel stem in a heartbeat. Then you can torque the existing nut to the specs for the latest models, and not need to worry about it again. I would also argue with the dealer about the cost, since it's supposed to be a dealer fix per the bulletin.

I changed mine to a steel shaft (and chrome clamps) and have had no issues since.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Using the search function will answer most of your ?

steel

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Can we clarify which is unbelievable?

Is it the prices the dealer is charging, or is it that as a newbie I am not as knowledgeable as others on here?

Just looking for advice, stem nut kit or steel column, either way it gets done by a payed professional as I`ve neither the tools or time.

Thanks again, daz.
That this new clunk post exists.There are 100's of threads started about the clunk.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5116371

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5116374

1 - 8 of 8 Posts