Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I had the dealer tighten up the front end when I brought the the bike in for the 1000 mile servicing in the spring. They fixed it and I was happy.

Now I've got about 4000 miles on it and the clunk is back. It's not as bad as it was before but I know it will get worse since that is how it started last time.

So my question is, should I have them fix it again when I bring the bike back in for the 5000 mile check up? They didn't charge me the first time but I'm sure they will this time around.

I hate to sound dumb, but isn't there some kind of rubber bushing or washer that can be put to prevent the clunk sound? Since it's a recurring problem.

Thanks

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Sounds very familiar... have another dealer fix it. ;)

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Hey! I have it too... Does it count as an option/mod to boost the resale value of my bike??

Seriously, looks like a design flaw to me and don't know why we should pay to get the bike to preform as advertised?

Another long and painful argument in perspective next time I visit the dealer :banghead:

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
They will probably only over torque the fork nut which is a temporary solution. You need to do the fall away described in the manual to get rid of it.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
did they do the whole procedure under warranty for you?

Coz the mechanics at Moto inter told me they would simply bevel the fork nut so it seats in deeper... Sounds like a mickey mouse solution to me

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
I had it done at BruceMeyers in Daytona. But the tech that did it was from the HD plant at Daytona to help out with the rush.

And I had one of the HD engineers I met at the V-Rod Breakfast call in to get me in easily.

Before my ride down to Daytona, HD Montreal "fixed it"... :)

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Mine was fixed at the 1000 maint but now with 6000 on it I have a slight clunk. I will adjust the fall away and hopefully now the fork cups have seated and it won't need another adjustment for a long time.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I beleive they did adjust it according to the procedure. That's what they said.
Who knows what they really did.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Ask them what their procedure is... :)

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
When the klunk appears it is time to do a fall away adjusatment. As the bike gets more miles on it the time for the adjustment seems to go longer without it.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Trust all of us that have been in you position...

#1. If the front end clunks, the bearings are loose
#2. If the dealer tells you they fixed it, see #1.

End of story

I finally did it myself and have not heard the awful noise in over 10k miles...

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
HD didn't put enough grease on the bearing for my liking, Loose bearing and a little grease spells wear, take them apart and look at the bearings if they look good repack them and adjust the fall away. If the bearing have wear( and mine looked like shit) replace them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Loose bearings causese clunk and ?

do you think it will also cause wooble ?

I have clunk and wooble not necessarily at high speed , even at 10 mph when the road has bad surface bike looses front control...diverts by itself....

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
NightRoder said:
Hello all,

I had the dealer tighten up the front end when I brought the the bike in for the 1000 mile servicing in the spring. They fixed it and I was happy.

Now I've got about 4000 miles on it and the clunk is back. It's not as bad as it was before but I know it will get worse since that is how it started last time.

So my question is, should I have them fix it again when I bring the bike back in for the 5000 mile check up? They didn't charge me the first time but I'm sure they will this time around.

I hate to sound dumb, but isn't there some kind of rubber bushing or washer that can be put to prevent the clunk sound? Since it's a recurring problem.

Thanks
My dealer did exactlly that too, they tightened it up at 1k and I was happy as sh*t. But after another 3k the clunk was back. Im sure they did what mine did, they prolly only torqued the large nut on top of the triple clamp. I went in raised the top triple clamp, and turned the bearing nut @ 1/4 turn, then slapped it back together. Nice and quiet! :thumb:

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
PD87 said:
My dealer did exactlly that too, they tightened it up at 1k and I was happy as sh*t. But after another 3k the clunk was back. Im sure they did what mine did, they prolly only torqued the large nut on top of the triple clamp. I went in raised the top triple clamp, and turned the bearing nut @ 1/4 turn, then slapped it back together. Nice and quiet! :thumb:

That is the answer! That is the ONLY fix.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts