Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I posted a thread on a clunk I was having in my front end that was not related to loose steering head bearings. A dealer had claimed to have traced it to the brake rotors being loose on the floater buttons. I was doubtful, the noise and feel were in my view too heavy to be from loosy-goosey brake rotors. It felt exactly like loose steering head bearings, but I knew the bearings are pretty new and the fall away is set to the tight side of the specification.
Last night I replaced the floater buttons and wave washers on both front rotors, and to my great surprise the clunking is gone. I reckon I owe the service writer and tech at Antelope Valley HD an apology for doubting them. I had them tear through both fork legs so convinced was I that such a noise could not come from a worn floater buttons. Tuck that one in your back pocket for the day in the future your floater buttons also wear out. $2.99 per button, and $2.99 per washer, ten of each, figure sixty-something bucks with tax. Mine lasted 15,000 miles. Not too great, but that is a heavy bike to stop and mine gets some pretty hard use in the canyons, so your experience may vary.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm gettin the clunk again and had the head bearings checked for tightness. They were snug as they should be. I've got 13,000 plus on the bike. I've ran the bike hard with heavy braking on these Virginia mountain backroads, maybe this may be my clunk issues. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Clunk to pulsing brakes .....

My stearing head clunk was eliminated by taking a post from here about the new head nut (pun intended) to the dealer. They installed it and it's not clunked since.

I'm still asking if anyone has had an experience with replacing the brake pads with Lyndall pads and having the brake pulsations disappear. That's what happened to me ........ so far.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hello Mtt , I also would like to hear from some body about the brake pad change . My dealer has had my v-rod for nearly a month now , and keeps feeding bullshit reasons for why it's taking solong to get it done . The last story the brake pads are on back order, my ass ! 2yr. low number production bike not being produced any more , they just want us to go away ! I still really love the thing , but i'am starting to get pissed .

·
Registered
100 Posts
I suggest you order the Lyndal pads from Sharky, on here ....

ask him to ship them directly to your dealer ( be sure he has them in stock first). Tell your dealer to cancel their order and wait for your pads to arrive. I think getting the Lyndalls will result in smoother braking and longer lasting brakes.

My dealer only made me wait for weeks to get a new brake pad pin when I lost the rear retaining clip doing the pads myself. That was my fault. Any other thing that I've had done was completed within a reasonable time frame with no parts issues.

Good luck!

hello Mtt , I also would like to hear from some body about the brake pad change . My dealer has had my v-rod for nearly a month now , and keeps feeding bullshit reasons for why it's taking solong to get it done . The last story the brake pads are on back order, my ass ! 2yr. low number production bike not being produced any more , they just want us to go away ! I still really love the thing , but i'am starting to get pissed .

·
Registered
64 Posts
New rotors, buttons, wave springs ,and stock pads; took a freaken month and 5 days to get it back ! I'am still pissed about it, BUT the good news 150 mi . no brake problems so far , nice smooth action . Now I can feel a small vibration at certian speeds , not bad but very noticable through the bars while riding . Its only got 5000 mi. on it ( 06' left over when I bought it 2 yrs. ago ) HD should not have sold any thing with this many flaws ! That said I still really like it yet, but I rode my buell 15,000 trouble free mi. in 5 yrs. , and bought it used ! This is the ramblings of a redheaded stepchild .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts