Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Max and all that responed to an overheating problem. It turned out to be the cam gear pulley bolt. It fell out when I took the alt cover off. Have a look at the bolt. Might be worth to check this bolt during the Winter or every 5 or 10,000 miles.

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
You know it's funny we didn't see any of these come loose on the early models but it seems that in 05 and 06 we have seen several of them. It would be one of the first places to look for an overheat issue when you are full of coolant IMHO.

I think if you use red loctite and torque it down that you should be good to go. Again I think a bunch of these may have gotten out of the factory not torqued down good.

·
Resident Tugboat Cpt
4,443 Posts
It could be just the picture, but doesn't it look like the middle is stripped a bit?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
cptnwarlock said:
It could be just the picture, but doesn't it look like the middle is stripped a bit?
When they come loose they can't get out, the edge you see worn is from rattling around inside the cam chain gear end, the top of the bolt will be rubbed also from the cover. Good thing they don't come all the way out or it would be a bigger mess.

·
Resident Tugboat Cpt
4,443 Posts
Max said:
When they come loose they can't get out, the edge you see worn is from rattling around inside the cam chain gear end, the top of the bolt will be rubbed also from the cover. Good thing they don't come all the way out or it would be a bigger mess.

Oh ok thanks Max. I'll have to check mine when I get home.

·
1,016 Posts
ndfspd,
Please call this in to customer service at Juneau.That way we can document by VIN your occurance. Make sure you have no crankcase bushing to intermediate shaft damage from this.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do on Monday

VRTURK said:
ndfspd,
Please call this in to customer service at Juneau.That way we can document by VIN your occurance. Make sure you have no crankcase bushing to intermediate shaft damage from this.
Where would I look for that?

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
Stupid design I'm tellin you turk, they should key the sproket to the shaft and no stupid bolt that is a cap. Here are some pictures ndfspd of my bushings and what they looked like after that stupid bolt was loose. Harley does not sell the bushings, it's a non repairable item they say. So eagle cut mine out and made some new ones. So eagle has the program set up for cutting the bushings now if you need them. I recommend adding a oil pressure gauge that way if you notice a couple psi difference then you'll know their is a problem. The oil pressure sensor on the bike now only goes on when their is only a couple psi so there is going to be damage when the light goes on, it's just a matter of how fast you can shut it down to limit the damage.

Attachments

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Overheated for the very first time today in 54K miles. It was 109 degrees and I was probably over doing it just a little. I pinged off the rev limiter at least twice. I'll check the cam gear pulley bolt tomorrow AM. One thing very noticable was the fans staying on much longer after shutdown. I've also been hearing a rattle for a couple days now and can't figure out where it is coming from but it sounds like from the right side of the bike. I also replaced the spark plugs yesterday and checked the gap before installation.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

Found a good spot to cool off though.

Attachments

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Everything check out OK. Fluid levels full, fasteners tight, and cam gear pulley bolt tight. The other possibility is I put an Amsoil air filter in at the same time I changed the spark plugs. Maybe it is possible this is a higher air flow filter causing it to run a little lean. I put the stock filter back in so with temps in the 100s for the forseeable future, I'll see if this might have been the cause.

I PMed Ken and still waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rattle

I just noticed a rattle off the right side last night. Mostly when leaning towards the right. Kind of hard to pick out with a 1/2 helmet and rhineharts blasting, but I definitly heard a strange noise. Looks like I will have to look into mine further as well.

Thanks for the fore warning!

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
rayt3 said:
I just noticed a rattle off the right side last night. Mostly when leaning towards the right. Kind of hard to pick out with a 1/2 helmet and rhineharts blasting, but I definitly heard a strange noise. Looks like I will have to look into mine further as well.

Thanks for the fore warning!
Found that also. POS exhaust heat shield fastener.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Just an update....

After talking to Ken, the amsoil air filter does let more air thru than the stock filter. More than stock, less than the K&N. Also, my bike seemed to run a little better with the amsoil air filter.

I have put the stock filter back in and cannot duplicate the overheating. It is unlikely it was the air filter.....more than likely just the extreme heat and a little heavy on the throttle that particular day.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What to look for

Here is what happened to mine, last month the bike overheated for about five minutes, pulled over checked the normal things...nothing. When I got it home I noticed the coolant tank was empty so I filled it back up and just figured it needed a drink. Bike was fine for a month, then it did the same thing and kept overheating. It seemed the tstat was stuck so I pulled it out and cooked it on the stove and made sure it opened and it did. I should have listened to MAX the first time when he told me to check the cam gear bolt ("triple sprocket fastener" is what the manual calls it) when I removed the alt cover the battered bolt fell on the ground. I ordered and installed a new bolt with red loctite and tourqed to 17 ft lb and it has been fine since. I never heard the rattle. When this happened the fans were on while riding and stayed on after shut down for 15 to 30 seconds.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Found my overheating problem. Top fan doesn't come on. I switched relays and still only the bottom fan comes on so I assume it's a bad fan. I didn't blow any fuses this time so this is a little strange.

Hopefully I can get it covered under my extended warranty + get it fixed in a by next Wednesday. I'm probably dreaming. If not, I can get one delivered to my door in 2 days for $80 from

http://www.jaycorptech.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=129&categoryid=2

I hope Danno is correct.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27719&highlight=listen+up

1 - 20 of 33 Posts