Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post up and give thank to Kosman for widening my wheel. I am currently working as a private contractor in Baghdad and wanted to do a 240 conversion on my 06 VRSCA while at home on vacation. The guys at Kosman worked with me to insure that my wheel would be back in time for my vacation. So many people in business these days will tell you a date and it comes and goes. These guys really stuck to it. Not only that but they stayed in contact with me during the whole process and even sent me pics when they called into question whether or not I wanted the welds smoothed. Just for the record Jeff over there did some of the nicest aluminum welds I have ever seen. It was a real shame to smooth them out but I plan on getting these polished and chromed so they had to go. Thanks again to Miguel and the fellas over there and just in case you guys want to see what they did for me I have attached the photos.

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I also had my wheel done by Kosman. I too wanted the welds smoothed out, but they called and told me they were trying to stop doing this because in their opinion it would weaken the integrity of the welds. I told them not to do it, now I see that they are still doing it, what gives ??

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Man those are beautiful welds!! Thats some serious artwork.

If I may ask, how much does this cost? I'd like to get a 240, but am not interested in buying new wheels. Its amazes me how much these wheels cost.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
65Ch3v3LL3 said:
I just wanted to post up and give thank to Kosman for widening my wheel. I am currently working as a private contractor in Baghdad and wanted to do a 240 conversion on my 06 VRSCA while at home on vacation. The guys at Kosman worked with me to insure that my wheel would be back in time for my vacation. So many people in business these days will tell you a date and it comes and goes. These guys really stuck to it. Not only that but they stayed in contact with me during the whole process and even sent me pics when they called into question whether or not I wanted the welds smoothed. Just for the record Jeff over there did some of the nicest aluminum welds I have ever seen. It was a real shame to smooth them out but I plan on getting these polished and chromed so they had to go. Thanks again to Miguel and the fellas over there and just in case you guys want to see what they did for me I have attached the photos.

Tim
Tim,
Jeff is an ARTIST when it comes to welding Aluminium:notworth: !Between him and Martin ,Sandy has some of The Best Hand's in the Business doing his work:deal: !I have been Lucky enough to spend some time with the Kosman crew,and know why they are still around 30+years after starting!I Trust them with my Life.:kaz: ! KOSMAN is the Best:heart: ......

P.S Smooth now I know why they call it a role of nickles

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DallasV Rod said:
Man those are beautiful welds!! Thats some serious artwork.

If I may ask, how much does this cost? I'd like to get a 240, but am not interested in buying new wheels. Its amazes me how much these wheels cost.

I don't remember the exact figure but it was just over $600 with smoothing the welds, widening to 8.5 inches, and return shipping. If you want them chrome then the best quote I received from what I feel is a reputable chromer was $550 for both wheels. I figure a little over $1100 for some chrome wheels for the 240 conversion wasn't too bad a deal. Plus I really like the stock 10 spokes.

Now I can't wait to see my wheel in person. I will be home in 4 days!!!! When I leave to go back to Iraq I will send these out for polish and chrome but I just didn't have time before I got home and I also wanted to fit everything first. When I get em back I will post up more pics.

I really can't say enough about the quality of service that I received from these guys. They are great!

taximech said:
I also had my wheel done by Kosman. I too wanted the welds smoothed out, but they called and told me they were trying to stop doing this because in their opinion it would weaken the integrity of the welds. I told them not to do it, now I see that they are still doing it, what gives ??
taximech,
I would also like to thank you as I basically copied your setup. You gave me the necessary info that I needed. They never mentioned anything to me about weakening the joint but looking at it it sure seems that it would be solid enough. In one of the pics you can see how beefy the weld is on the inside of the rim.

Thanks to everyone on this forum as well. I have learned a lot about my bike in a short time due to all the great info posted here. I hope that when I get back to the US permanently I will get to go to some of the rallys and meet some of you. Until then take care and ride safe!

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Glad I could somehow help. Just wondered about the welds, mine show and yours do not.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow guys! About 2 hours ago I had a rocket put a nice sized hole in my office while I was sitting at my desk which is about 4 feet from where it impacted. The Lord must have been looking out for me and my co-workers as everyone came out without a scratch on them. Guys please keep all the soldiers and civilians that are currently working in Iraq in your prayers.

Ride safe,
Tim

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
65Ch3v3LL3 said:
Wow guys! About 2 hours ago I had a rocket put a nice sized hole in my office while I was sitting at my desk which is about 4 feet from where it impacted. The Lord must have been looking out for me and my co-workers as everyone came out without a scratch on them. Guys please keep all the soldiers and civilians that are currently working in Iraq in your prayers.

Ride safe,
Tim
Man thats wild....Keep that head down !!!

Is the welding free hand or down by machine ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah those welds are by the amazing hand of Jeff @ Kosman. All freehand, no machines. It is really beautiful work.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
No argument 1st class work.

I've seen truck fuel tanks welded for the better part of 20 yrs, some is done by machine and then finished by hand.....Just asking. :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
wheel looks great, really love the widened stock setup :thumb:

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
65Ch3v3LL3 said:

Ride safe,
Tim
So happy for you and your mates.
Prayers always!!!!!
Stay strong.....and thanks for your service. Lots of contractors and civilians over there doing great work!!!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
65Ch3v3LL3 said:

Ride safe,
Tim
Man, I hate it when that happens. You are full of good luck and good on you. You and you mates are in my prayers. I always felt real humble after a close call, and thankful.
Keep your head down.
Get home safe.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Kosman's did my wheel as well and I was very happy with everything except the $50 they charged me to deliver it to the post office. I thought that was kind of crappy, but I am very happy with the wheel.

And they did it for 1/3 of what I was quoted here in Germany from the Kosman's equivalent.

·
Registered
66 Posts
taximech said:
Taximech, We still try to sway people away from taking the weld bead down. I talked to Tim about leaving them also. He wanted to go a different route. We try to sway people away from it because it's not helping the wheel nor really hurting it. Just for our own sake we like them on there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
lelandeod said:
Kosman's did my wheel as well and I was very happy with everything except the $50 they charged me to deliver it to the post office. I thought that was kind of crappy, but I am very happy with the wheel.

And they did it for 1/3 of what I was quoted here in Germany from the Kosman's equivalent.
Looks like you were a victim of Arturo. He charged quite a few people to go to the post office. Never again will we do something like that. I don't mind stopping by the post office on my way home! Makes me feel good getting enthusiests the parts they worked hard to pay for.

Tim, It was great doing business with you. I wish every transaction went this smooth. Good luck on getting home to your wheel! and family! Miguel

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi Miguel,
Yes, it was Arturo who I was dealing with. It didn't add up to a bad expericence... it just dampened my spirits a bit when he told me he had to charge me another $50 just to take it to the Post Office. Being stationed overseas, we are forced to use the USPS as UPS and FedEx will not ship to an APO address. I really wish they would as it would aleviate a lot of the issues we face having no choice other than USPS.

I'm glad to hear no one else should suffer the same fee.
:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
lelandeod said:
Hi Miguel,
Yes, it was Arturo who I was dealing with. It didn't add up to a bad expericence... it just dampened my spirits a bit when he told me he had to charge me another $50 just to take it to the Post Office. Being stationed overseas, we are forced to use the USPS as UPS and FedEx will not ship to an APO address. I really wish they would as it would aleviate a lot of the issues we face having no choice other than USPS.

I'm glad to hear no one else should suffer the same fee.
:)
Good to know! I wish they did send to P.O.s also, I get alot of people in the same situation. But it's all good now, no charges no problems:cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts