Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning on my way to work some guy decides to turn left in front of me. I put on my brights (to try and gain recognition) and thought he could have waited, no one behind me for at last a half mile. But then what happened next I didn't expect. The guy behind him also turned! I had to slam on my brakes. This was so close I was able to beep at the guy as I was looking to the right at him completing his turn. His turn was not the normal turn where one curves as they turn, he looked at me and knew he was cutting me off because his turn was a straight diagonal.

This after my son's wreck about 3 weeks ago where his bike is toast. I thank God that nothing happened to me and I'm glad for my brembo brakes they helped me stop very quickly.

Dave

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
There is a reason drivers from Illinois are known as 'FIB' in every state surrounding them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It must have been one of those weekends, I had the same, right smack in front of me. So close I had to turn into the suicide lane to go around. She got the finger up close and personal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think it should be every bikers responsibility to teach idiots doing stuff like this a good lesson, whatever it may be.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
This kinda driving happens around here all of the time,it's not only in front of bikes.
I think it's a game w people,they pull out in front of a vehicle without a soul behind it just to see if they can make it.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Is there a chance perhaps that the boneheaded driver thought you were signaling him to go by flashing your brights at him? I know cagers signal that way as a "go ahead" gesture.

I'm not criticizing, just giving an alternate point of view. They were both still asses for pull out in front of you...especially if there wasn't anyone behind you.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NightMare said:
Is there a chance perhaps that the boneheaded driver thought you were signaling him to go by flashing your brights at him? I know cagers signal that way as a "go ahead" gesture.

I'm not criticizing, just giving an alternate point of view. They were both still asses for pull out in front of you...especially if there wasn't anyone behind you.
I did not flash, I turned from low-beam to high beam and stayed there. I did this to make sure I was seen. I was, the guy like looked right at me and went for it and then after he noticed I was about to die he never looked at me again.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Wow, well I'm glad neither he or the bonehead behind him killed you!

·
l337ub3rn00b
227 Posts
Get an air horn. Those things are obnoxiously loud and perfect for getting everyones attention.

·
slave to the grind
1,188 Posts
How loud is your bike? The same thing has happened to me because I don't think they want to ride behind a loud motorcycle...Still no excuse for cutting anyone off. Send them to hell with gasoline boots!!:spank: :bash: :angeldev:

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bigrog74 said:
How loud is your bike? The same thing has happened to me because I don't think they want to ride behind a loud motorcycle...Still no excuse for cutting anyone off. Send them to hell with gasoline boots!!:spank: :bash: :angeldev:
Not too loud but they were making a left turn in front of me so they had no idea how loud it was.

·
Registered
249 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
This kinda driving happens around here all of the time,it's not only in front of bikes.
I think it's a game w people,they pull out in front of a vehicle without a soul behind it just to see if they can make it.

Elrod on the V-Rod

I agree. Everyone has get-there-itis and always have to be in front. Have you ever noticed that no matter how fast you are going there is some jack-ass that just has to ride on your ass? (Whether in a car or on a bike) Then they pass you, get in front and slow down to less than you were going in the first place.

Ride defensively my brothers and sisters. I always try to assume that every car around me is trying to kill me. It's the best way to stay alert and try to avoid those situations.

Dave, you saw the first car coming and now learned and taught us a lesson about the "next" car behind him. One more thing in the arsenal for us to use to stay alive.

Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
My motto. Never assume the other Driver/Rider is going to do the proper thing. I assume he/she is clueless and may not see me or care if they cut me off. Defensive riding always. Got me through 35 years of riding without a scratch.

And yes Brembo's are great.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, it is good to hear that You made it through OK. Speaking of the Brembo's I recently wanted to brush up on my skills etc, and took and advanced riders course. One of the tests was a stop as quick as possible without locking anything up. The V stoped from 25MPH in 14 feet then next closest was a lightweight sport bike at 24 feet, the longest was a big bagger at 34 feet. It sure gave me a lot more confidence in the Brembo's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts