Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly the Magic Group have collapsed and both Thames Valley Slough & Dockgate are no longer trading!

Apparently the doors were closed for everyone including their Staff just before Xmas.

The Staff were always really cheerful & helpful to me so I hope they manage to get what they are owed and find suitable re employment quickly.

A sign of the times unfortunately, they were obviously struggling for some time.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Yep, Dockgate closed its doors on 16/12/2010

Whilst everyone knew it was coming, it was still done with no warning, on the day.
It is true that they were all great people, but at the end of the day, Dockgate lost contact with the concept of after sales customer care.

I got my DX back from them with the left rear engine mounts undone, and the belt looser than a dangerously loose chain.

As an aside, Honda in Portsmouth closed a week after Dockgate too.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Its probably the start of Harley's total demise in the UK given that they have nothing new to sell to the younger riders , just overpriced relics of yesteryear.
Lets face it , for most of Harley's customers here bikes are a hobby rather than a way of life and despite the 'Live to Ride' tat the bike is the first thing to go when things get tough financially.
I guess i'm not helping given that I haven't set foot in a dealership since I bought the bike :)

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Thames valley lost the plot when they moved from maidenhead,it was a nice little really friendly dealership but turned into what looked like a posh car dealership when they moved to swindon.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Thames valley lost the plot when they moved from maidenhead,it was a nice little really friendly dealership but turned into what looked like a posh car dealership when they moved to swindon.
Sadly that's Harley UK making dealers have a certain type of premises for the brand image - they reckon you need £1 million plus to become a Harley dealer these days making it the realm of Corporations rather than enthusiasts.
It's the old adage - how do you make a small fortune out of motorcycles? Start with a large fortune and wait.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
The dealership in stratford also closed down it seems. I got a message over the holidays. Less options for places to service the bike probably means worse service or higher prices soon....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh i have already gone down that road a long time ago.... But occasionally you get stuck and u will need to take it somewhere and that is when they get you :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hi Guys belated Happy New Year!

I can't help but think that this is payback for ditching the dealers that didn't measure up to the corporate profile and chasing the car boys in the hope of getting volume.

Aside of the fact that Harley owners are so diverse (no not you Andre) in their tastes for me it was always going to be an unsustainable strategy.

However the question is for us V Rodders ......... just where do you go to get a valve lash service done properly??

Answers on a postcard please:)

Skin

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Hi Guys belated Happy New Year!

I can't help but think that this is payback for ditching the dealers that didn't measure up to the corporate profile and chasing the car boys in the hope of getting volume.

Aside of the fact that Harley owners are so diverse (no not you Andre) in their tastes for me it was always going to be an unsustainable strategy.

However the question is for us V Rodders ......... just where do you go to get a valve lash service done properly??

Answers on a postcard please:)

Skin
Good question Skin, think the back of a stamp would suffice.Maybe we could have a group hire of a container and ship them all across the pond for a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
If the IT work ever dries up i'll be opening Steve's Chop Shop.A nice parts stash is coming along :)
Whats the difference between an entrepreneur and a hoarder.:hidesbeh:

·
EXCELSIOR
8,502 Posts
It's all part of the "branding" of the marque. A marketing scheme dreamed up by some corporate MBA. It seems to be more important than building and selling motorcycles.
Here in the states all the mom & pop dealers are gone, supplanted by "monuments" to the bar and shield logo.

PS, that "branding" I mentioned is the primary reason that this site, and other similar ones no longer can use the name V-Rod in the title if you haven't been around long enough to know that this site started as V-Rod Forums.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought my first Harley 4 years ago from Thames Valley in maidenhead - all was great then.

I used the parts and service department in Slough and they were brilliant - Dave in particular is a great guy and I'm sad to see him gone.

The sales side were rubbish - I tried 4 times to ride / but a Muscle and ended up buying from Guildford the same day as the test ride...

I always feel these big dealerships are going to struggle as the brand can't support overheads like this...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts