Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking an old mid pipe to measure for a possible Y pipe when I noticed a lot of wear below the figure 8 clamp.

The pipe is from a R with about 8,500 miles.

I'm not 100% on how things are mounted, but it seems to me that the front rubber engine mount is allowing too much rocking of the engine. Since the mid and mufflers are solid mount, engine rocking will force the headers to move if not clamped down tightly.

I've seen several posts about the figure 8 clamp rubbing the frame rail and it has done so on both my Rs.

Could there be a defective batch of motor mounts or maybe they were just made too soft?

Has anyone else had this issue? Do aftermarket pipes have the same problem?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I was checking an old mid pipe to measure for a possible Y pipe when I noticed a lot of wear below the figure 8 clamp.

The pipe is from a R with about 8,500 miles.

I'm not 100% on how things are mounted, but it seems to me that the front rubber engine mount is allowing too much rocking of the engine. Since the mid and mufflers are solid mount, engine rocking will force the headers to move if not clamped down tightly.

I've seen several posts about the figure 8 clamp rubbing the frame rail and it has done so on both my Rs.

Could there be a defective batch of motor mounts or maybe they were just made too soft?

Has anyone else had this issue? Do aftermarket pipes have the same problem?
Excessive engine vibration and a bad front (or rear) motor mount could make exhaust components vibrate against the frame but the damage you show looks more like “crevice corrosion”.

The joints of exhaust pipes are perfectly shaped and sized for this type of damage. Exhaust system corrosion occurs when moisture in the exhaust gases condenses on the cold exhaust pipes. This fluid is fairly acidic and if not evaporated off by fully warming up the engine it can lead to rapid exhaust system corrosion especially in joints.

Also, concerning the muffler vibration; the rear muffler supports aren’t really a solid mount. There are compliance pieces in these that allow the exhaust system to move with the engine.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know the history of the bike, so it is possible that is suffered through lots of very short riding cycles without fully warming up.

I guess I'll change out the motor mount just to be on the safe side.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
is/was this a CA bike or was it purchased from out of state?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike was sold and ridden in the Las Vegas area before I got it.

Not a lot of rain type moisture there, but the short ride condensation could have been an issue.

Due to the wear grooves, I think too much movement was the primary cause of the wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts