Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
141hp/91 Ft lbs tq!!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read various threads about overheating, fan problems, the bolt under the left side casing behind the water pump, thermostat sticking, wiring issues, and possibly a relay going bad. All of this has my head spinning as to what is causing my particular problem:

intermitantly the idiot light would come on and go out after a coupl'a 3 minutes. It happened about three times in Sarnia, Ont, CN on the ride to Sturgis last year. Didn't happen again until after my 20k factory recommended service last month. I decided to try and find out the root of the problem and noticed that the fans weren't on. then finally they'd kick on and the light would go out. I've checked the fluid level and it's fine. With the engine off and cool. If I manually turn the fans they both seem to chirp a little which seems to be not a good thing... right? Are the fans fixing to seize up do ya think? Has anyone had these specific symptoms? I've already got two fans coming from SPAL but even if that's not the problem now, the sound they make might be a problem around the corner anyhow.

:helpme:

Thanks,
Outlaw

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
outlaw:

How have you been?? It's been awhile.

I would also check the sensor for the engine temperature to see if it is faulty. The fans as you know go n when the ECU says the motor is too hot.

Is it "Throwing any codes"???

Regards

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
outlawbiker said:
I've read various threads about overheating, fan problems, the bolt under the left side casing behind the water pump, thermostat sticking, wiring issues, and possibly a relay going bad. All of this has my head spinning as to what is causing my particular problem:

intermitantly the idiot light would come on and go out after a coupl'a 3 minutes. It happened about three times in Sarnia, Ont, CN on the ride to Sturgis last year. Didn't happen again until after my 20k factory recommended service last month. I decided to try and find out the root of the problem and noticed that the fans weren't on. then finally they'd kick on and the light would go out. I've checked the fluid level and it's fine. With the engine off and cool. If I manually turn the fans they both seem to chirp a little which seems to be not a good thing... right? Are the fans fixing to seize up do ya think? Has anyone had these specific symptoms? I've already got two fans coming from SPAL but even if that's not the problem now, the sound they make might be a problem around the corner anyhow.

:helpme:

Thanks,
Outlaw
You say you checked the fluid level, you mean you opened the radiator cap and looked or you checked the recovery tank? Do not go by the recovery tank if you have a leak in the system it will not function properly.

·
141hp/91 Ft lbs tq!!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max said:
You say you checked the fluid level, you mean you opened the radiator cap and looked or you checked the recovery tank? Do not go by the recovery tank if you have a leak in the system it will not function properly.
Checked BOTH. Looked for leaks too. No spray or spots anywhere (frame, engine, MY PANTS, etc.)

So what about the fan squeak?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
outlawbiker said:
Checked BOTH. Looked for leaks too. No spray or spots anywhere (frame, engine, MY PANTS, etc.)

So what about the fan squeak?
Could be a fan relay but both fans at one time going bad would be a reach IMHO. The fan relay is in the junction block, you might try to swap it with the starter relay and see if the starter acts up or the fans work right.

·
141hp/91 Ft lbs tq!!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
V-Rod I FL said:
outlaw:

How have you been?? It's been awhile.

I would also check the sensor for the engine temperature to see if it is faulty. The fans as you know go n when the ECU says the motor is too hot.

Is it "Throwing any codes"???

Regards

I've been alright, life kept getting in the way this summer for me to do any long rides this year. I've put about 4K miles on it going around Oneida lake, up to Watertown/1000 islands area etc. since I got back from Sturgis last year. My 20k service was done just shy of 27k :hidesbeh:

Will check it out. Never occured to me to hook this thing up to get a diagnostic code. DUH! Call me "Barney Rubble" 'cause my thinking is still in the town of "Bedrock".

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
outlawbiker said:
I've been alright, life kept getting in the way this summer for me to do any long rides this year. I've put about 4K miles on it going around Oneida lake, up to Watertown/1000 islands area etc. since I got back from Sturgis last year. My 20k service was done just shy of 27k :hidesbeh:

Will check it out. Never occured to me to hook this thing up to get a diagnostic code. DUH! Call me "Barney Rubble" 'cause my thinking is still in the town of "Bedrock".
If you have a code you should have either a long check engine light at start up (8 seconds) or the light would have come on while riding.

·
141hp/91 Ft lbs tq!!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max said:
Could be a fan relay but both fans at one time going bad would be a reach IMHO. The fan relay is in the junction block, you might try to swap it with the starter relay and see if the starter acts up or the fans work right.
That I can do. Is the amp draw the same on both circuits? If not, it may not be such a hot Idea. :stooge:

·
141hp/91 Ft lbs tq!!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Max said:
If you have a code you should have either a long check engine light at start up (8 seconds) or the light would have come on while riding.
yet something else to go check! I'll let y'all know about the check engine light when I get back online.

The only thing that lights up when riding is the temp light and like I said before, it's intermitant.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
outlawbiker said:
That I can do. Is the amp draw the same on both circuits? If not, it may not be such a hot Idea. :stooge:
They are identical relays with the same part number. :)

·
141hp/91 Ft lbs tq!!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
STOP THE PRESSES!

I feel like a total RETARD!!! it's not the temp light...........

It's been the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT THE WHOLE FREAKIN' TIME!!!!!!

Also, it's only been an issue since I switched my K&N filter last year for the AMSOIL filter before I left for Sturgis..............

I'm set up to run topless, no velocity stacks, w/K&N high flow air filter! My BB must be getting strangled.

Uh Oh! I'm thinking again.......:hmm:

That O2 sensor doohicky is sittin' in the bottom half next to the air filter. Could that thing have gotten obstructed?

Tune in tomorrow, same Dork time, same dork channel!!!

(I'm soooooooooooooo embarrassed):yak: :bolt

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
outlawbiker said:
STOP THE PRESSES!

I feel like a total RETARD!!! it's not the temp light...........

It's been the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT THE WHOLE FREAKIN' TIME!!!!!!

Also, it's only been an issue since I switched my K&N filter last year for the AMSOIL filter before I left for Sturgis..............

I'm set up to run topless, no velocity stacks, w/K&N high flow air filter! My BB must be getting strangled.

Uh Oh! I'm thinking again.......:hmm:

That O2 sensor doohicky is sittin' in the bottom half next to the air filter. Could that thing have gotten obstructed?

Tune in tomorrow, same Dork time, same dork channel!!!

(I'm soooooooooooooo embarrassed):yak: :bolt

You really need to check for codes in the ECM.

GO here http://www.1130cc.com/?page=codes

·
141hp/91 Ft lbs tq!!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
o2man98 said:
You really need to check for codes in the ECM.

GO here http://www.1130cc.com/?page=codes

Talk about a "Crash course" not only in the intricacies of my machine but also in humility as you fella's have been nothing but supportive in my waking up to this beast called V-Rod!

:notworth: :thumb: :laugh: :rofl2: :surrender :rofl: :cheers: :goof:

Boy have I got work to do..........

Thanks all!!:dance:

·
141hp/91 Ft lbs tq!!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
O.K. here's the final and actual reason that light's been coming on:

CODE P0505 Current loss of idle speed control 4.17 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Any translators out there? 'Cause that may as well be Chinese to me. Or is it the O2 sensor thing in my air box?:hmm:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
outlawbiker said:
O.K. here's the final and actual reason that light's been coming on:

CODE P0505 Current loss of idle speed control 4.17 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Any translators out there? 'Cause that may as well be Chinese to me. Or is it the O2 sensor thing in my air box?:hmm:
IAC motor codes are often set by starting the bike holding it part throttle when you crank the bike up. It cannot idle right and has a difficult time learning the idle. It has nothing to do with the IAT sensor located in your airbox. Clear the code, you might even remove and clean the IAC motor which is in the top of the throttle body and see if the code returns. It won't hurt either to check the grounds on the engine and the wiring going to the IAC motor.

·
141hp/91 Ft lbs tq!!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Max said:
IAC motor codes are often set by starting the bike holding it part throttle when you crank the bike up. It cannot idle right and has a difficult time learning the idle. It has nothing to do with the IAT sensor located in your airbox. Clear the code, you might even remove and clean the IAC motor which is in the top of the throttle body and see if the code returns. It won't hurt either to check the grounds on the engine and the wiring going to the IAC motor.
Cleared the code and will do the checking and cleaning and will let ya'll know how it turns out.:cheers:

·
141hp/91 Ft lbs tq!!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today I vacumed my amsoil airfilter and then used an attachment that's used for edges and cracks (increases the suction) and sucked whatever might have been in the throttle body opening to the IAC motor. I also used it on the 02 sensor(I know, I know, but just......)

Buttoned everything back up and started her up. I turned the ignition on and just hit the start button without twisting the throttle (a habit I've got from my previous carb'd Harleys and a Honda) and no 8 second check engine light! I went and filled up with 93 octane and hit RT. 69 here in CNY. It was a good 30 minute ride from home to Sylvan beach then north to 69 so it was plenty warmed up. It was 90 degrees and humid to boot and still no light. Lucked out by slowing down on some stretches on 69 as I saw a Camden town cop the first time and a state trooper the second. In between them though I was able to get her up to 130 mph climbing some steep hills and what not and still no light. I'm betting it's the way I'd been starting it.

Thanks for the pointers, lesson, and patience!

Woo Hoo!!:dance: :plause:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts