Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here torn the stock front turn signals apart ?

I want to powder coat the front turn signals but cannot decide how to tear the innards out of them without cutting the wires.
There must be a way to do this.

ANYONE ???

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
According to the service manual, if the lEDs take a dump you gotta buy a new mirror. They never planned for them to come out, why don't you do what I plan to do next week and just paint them. They can be easily masked and if you prep the surface, paint holds very well. It ain't like a brake pedal, there is no wear issue.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine are turn signals only mounted on the forks with a relocation kit. I may just paint them but wanted to powder coat since I have another item going to be powdered anyway.
I did look and see there is about 4 inches of extra wire in under the side cover so I could do a cut there and then solder the splices back and put heat shrink over them.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Has anyone here torn the stock front turn signals apart ? ...
If you’re referring to the bullet front turn signals on a VRSCR, then the reflector assembly is held in the housing with friction on the surrounding rubber seal. I use a “tool” made from an old 1157 bulb bayonet assembly attached to a piece of tubing (after removing the glass bulb) to pull the reflector out.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you’re referring to the bullet front turn signals on a VRSCR, then the reflector assembly is held in the housing with friction on the surrounding rubber seal. I use a “tool” made from an old 1157 bulb bayonet assembly attached to a piece of tubing (after removing the glass bulb) to pull the reflector out.
I got that part out but I dont know how to get the wires out without cutting them and the plastic connector and the spring.
It seems like they put it all together and then put the wire ends on at the plug end under the front cover.
Any idea on how to remove the wires without cutting them ?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I got that part out but I dont know how to get the wires out without cutting them and the plastic connector and the spring.
It seems like they put it all together and then put the wire ends on at the plug end under the front cover.
Any idea on how to remove the wires without cutting them ?
The normal terminal connector for the turn signals is the AMP MultiLock connector. Here’s an animation showing how to remove the terminals from a MultiLock housing. Once removed from the AMP connector the wires should fit through the hole in the turn signal housing.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
I used a paper clip sharpened to a chisel point as my pick tool

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thanx for the animation on how to pull the wires out, Thats what I need.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I worked on the wiring today and after an hour I was getting frustrated about not getting any wires to come out. I looked at the plug end of the harness and noticed on the bottom was a small swing arm door that covered the bottom of the wires were they entered the plug. I flipped it down and then tried to "pick" the fastener from the other end and out went the wires. Easy once you get the gist of what all is holding these things together.

Again THANX to all for the help. The bullet signals are off to the powder coater tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts