Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my bike last week. She's my first, lol, so be gentle! Anyway, she's a 2007 Night Rod, and I've been looking it over to see what I can see, learn more about the bike and find out what the dealership was hoping I wouldn't see. I've found more issues than I anticipated and I'm thinking I need to dig deeper. So far, I found coolant leaking from the shrink clamp going to the radiator (was able to fix that thanks to these forums), while I was draining the coolant, I noticed one of the mounting bolts for my radiator fan was completely backed out, luckily the previous owner had installed some aftermarket front foot-rests which kept the bolt from actually being able to fall out. So i tightened that. I found my throttle linkage is sticky, and while I was looking into that, I noticed that my throttle cable is beginning to fray. I also noticed that both of my exhaust header flanges are separated from the motor by about a half inch and I'm not sure if the gasket is still there or not. And the bottom of my oil pan always looks wet, so I'm thinking there might be some oil seeping out somewhere. Each day, I see drops on the floor, but they aren't straight oil. It looks like very diluted oil. I've been going through the service manual, learning as much as I can, but there is a lot that the service manual can't tell me, so I thought I'd ask the community.

I want to take the engine out, replace all the gaskets/seals, replace nuts/bolts that are showing signs of rust, clean everything, lubricate everything, get the bike to a state that I know about, because right now, I am just wondering what else could be wrong, ya know? I'm up for the challenge, and I think it would be a great opportunity to get to know the bike. So I'm wondering:

-Does anyone have any thoughts on the issues that I've found so far?

-Does anyone know roughly how much am I looking at spending on tools/equipment for this project?

-How many hours do you think I will need to dedicate? (I've got experience maintaining aircraft and cars, but not bikes)

-Has anyone done something like this before? If so, do you have any tips?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I just bought my bike last week. She's my first, lol, so be gentle! Anyway, she's a 2007 Night Rod, and I've been looking it over to see what I can see, learn more about the bike and find out what the dealership was hoping I wouldn't see. I've found more issues than I anticipated and I'm thinking I need to dig deeper. So far, I found coolant leaking from the shrink clamp going to the radiator (was able to fix that thanks to these forums), while I was draining the coolant, I noticed one of the mounting bolts for my radiator fan was completely backed out, luckily the previous owner had installed some aftermarket front foot-rests which kept the bolt from actually being able to fall out. So i tightened that. I found my throttle linkage is sticky, and while I was looking into that, I noticed that my throttle cable is beginning to fray. I also noticed that both of my exhaust header flanges are separated from the motor by about a half inch and I'm not sure if the gasket is still there or not. And the bottom of my oil pan always looks wet, so I'm thinking there might be some oil seeping out somewhere. Each day, I see drops on the floor, but they aren't straight oil. It looks like very diluted oil. I've been going through the service manual, learning as much as I can, but there is a lot that the service manual can't tell me, so I thought I'd ask the community.

I want to take the engine out, replace all the gaskets/seals, replace nuts/bolts that are showing signs of rust, clean everything, lubricate everything, get the bike to a state that I know about, because right now, I am just wondering what else could be wrong, ya know? I'm up for the challenge, and I think it would be a great opportunity to get to know the bike. So I'm wondering:

-Does anyone have any thoughts on the issues that I've found so far?

-Does anyone know roughly how much am I looking at spending on tools/equipment for this project?

-How many hours do you think I will need to dedicate? (I've got experience maintaining aircraft and cars, but not bikes)

-Has anyone done something like this before? If so, do you have any tips?
The header flanges will be away from the head some when tight. Do not overtighten them. If the nuts are snug now, leave them alone. I'd brake clean it all up and isolate where the oil is coming from first. No need to yank the engine and replace all gaskets, just the offending part. These gaskets are viton coated steel and not prone to failing as a rule. Could be nothing more then a sloppy oil filter change last time or related to the oil cooler lines where it hooks up to the block. Breather hoses should be looked at as well. Service Manual for that year is a great investment. Being new to you, I'd slowly go over the whole bike and make sure all is well.
Ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.