Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I have the tab exhaust on my 2011 Muscle. So much of the sound comes straight up to the rider that it is leaving me with ringing ears even though I'm wearing hearing protection. Does anyone have any suggestions.

In the meantime, If I put the stock exhaust back on, what is the concern surrounding the tune. It is definitely running lean on decel the way it is now. It has the screaming eagle filter as well and was tuned with the SE tuner pro. I lent someone my windows laptop so It may be a while before I can get to tuning it.

Thanks!
Mike

·
I Hate Stupid People
749 Posts
db reducers are your cheapest bet if you want to still have good flow. They might help on the deceleration popping Alittle till you can fine tune.
I also dont see anything wrong with running your stock pipes if the noise is to much for you ... This is just my opinion

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Is there anything that I can do to stop the sound from coming back up at me and rather send it out the pipe? Any kind of wrap, or baffle modification?
Not to be a smart ass but ear plugs are your friend. Me, I just roll up a ball of paper towel that fits snug in my ears and that cuts noise to about half. Just right for me. Cheap and always available. If the exhaust don't kill your ears, the wind noise will, which in many cases is worse then the loud exhaust. Both together it's bad. Even with a full face, Akra exhaust with standard baffle I wear ear protection. That 4k rpm drone would drive me nuts on a longer ride, otherwise.
Ron

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Chute Required not to repeat myself but -
Just call TAB and get a couple db reducers - put in mufflers and sound level, fueling might be OK if not too restrictive -

If TAB doesn't offer db reducers that fit right in the end of their muffler measure the outlet should be about 1.5 - 1.75" and buy them from J&P cycles, ebay etc. if you can operate a drill you can install them. Also and maybe even prior to that remove the baffle from both mufflers ( if they are removeable - my TAB slip on's were not able to be repacked but new ones are ) and check the packing - if it's missing crappy fiberglass packing or if it's there but wrapped too tight it won't absorb the noise - add or remove some packing as required or if not already buy stainless steel wool packing and loosely repack the mufflers ( full but not wrapped tight or jammed in there. ) and try them again. You can also go to spiral baffles instead of straight small hole baffles if that's what's in your TABS now. I've got probably 50 manhours adding a SS and carbon fiber BMW auto resonator and repacking muffler and resonator crap fiberglass packing with SS wool packing to finally get the sound right with a straight thru muffler - it barks down low and on acceleration but is quiet in cruise. Revo exhaust is a PIA to get right. The TABS should not be that loud, I've heard them before - as stated wear ear plugs, I always carry a set but my Shoei FF helmet and speakers with music does the trick so normally I don't wear them. They also make special M/C earplugs that allow some street sounds to come in but help block exhaust tones. (y):cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts