Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on the site. Bought a '03 on Valentine's Day (she was with me too!). Came with 16 gauge double barrels on it. I have added the 28T, K&N filter, topless with relocated IAT sensor, and the MoCo flash. Love the power but wish for a taller 5th gear. I have looked around the site but have not found any discussion on a six speed tranny or a taller fifth gear. Any info out there? Turns 5k at 80 mph.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
No written word on either though.
Sure would be nice.
Then maybe a 27 tooth pulley would be possible.
BobT

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
5K at 80 is just at the bottom of the real power band. Its not your father's Harley. It'll go 147 in 5th. Get used to it. (You will come to love it - especially with the 16ga pipes.)

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Put a 30T on it and you will have a taller gear.There are more then a few out there that would GIVE THEIR Old One's! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will get used to it, and no I do not want a 30T on it either. I want my cake and eat it too!...power down low with the 28T and a nice cruise at 80 or 90 with a taller 5th gear or even a sixth gear. I know this is not my father's Harley, nor is it my '98 XL1200S. So I take it I cannot have my cake and eat it too?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
OKIE said:
Can the gears be changed up in our transmissions. I just couldn't get used to turning 6 grand cruising. But I would like a shorter 1st gear. Is that even possible?
NOT YET! :sinister: :diablo:

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Super Kaz said:
NOT YET! :sinister: :diablo:
Just got off the phone with ANDREWS Gear company. They have nothing slated at this time for the V-Rod. I was asked by their tech guy if there were any problems with the stock gears, and I explained that 2nd gear might be a weak link under higher torque, specifically with the use of turbs. Also advised him about the possible need for taller gearing for 5th.

I gave him the web address for the forum, and they said they'd look into what is going on.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if a 6th gear becomes standard in the evolution of the V-Rod.
I believe that even if a taller 5th was available the cost of pulling the engine and splitting the case would be to high for most folks.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
My dream setup... 28/27 t pulley mated to a 6 speed trans....

C'mon Harley! Get to it!!!

Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts