Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We worked at summer at the plant, seven days a week from June 8th til last weekend. So no big rides happened due to lack of time. I couldnt wait til labor day weekend when i could open the DX up from Ames IA to the cities. 218 miles give or take a few. Friday night on the way up, awesome...great, fast n fun. Took a couple early am blasts down a fairly empty hwy 94 from st paul to mpls and back.

Took off this am heading back to Iowa. Got about two hours in and stopped for gas. I took off back down the hwy knowing id be home in an hour. Loving life on the DX.

About 10 miles from the gas station the bad boy starts sputtering and the engine abd battery light come on. pull over and try to see whats going on...click...click....click...click.... dead asa doornail( whatever a doornail is).

Had some old dude stop, ask if i needed any help, if i needed a ride somewhere. I think he was more curious to what balsted by him 50 miles ago. I thanked the kind gesture but decided to call the tow truck.

Bruce Porter from Porter Towing shows up. We load the DX up on the bed, get her tied down, and head to Mason City.

Now this is where it gets great!

We decide to charge the battery. Put it on the charger, figure we need a good hour, hour and a half.
So what does the guy do?............Of course, Invite me over to his house for a cold soda and watch the race while it charges. Hour and a half goes by. No lights, fires right up, I gear up and head down the road after paying the bill.

I get a block and BAM! both lights back on again. Spin around and head back...and wonder in my mind how the hell im gonna get back to pick up my son since EVERYTHING is closed on labor day.

Whats Bruce do?.....Of course.... tell me to drive it down to Mason city Harley, he'll follow me in his cadillac. He'll call the owner to open the shop up and get the bike in. And then he'll call his girlfriend so I can take his caddy and he can get a ride home. Everyone's rally point was Mason City Harley 10 minutes later and the bikes in the shop waiting for tuesday and I am heading down the 80 miles to get home.

Bruce sez, call me when ya know whats wrong with it and just drive the caddy back when you pick up the bike.

Now I am clearly in shock.......Ive lived in LA, Miami, STL, and even Madison wi and doubt Id ever get this type of treatment in any of those places.

Would the world be a nicer place if there were more Bruce Porters around.

OK, tipsters.........no troubles with electrical, made a gas stop, didnt let the ign switch sit in ON, ...alternator issues? any one else had em with the DX's?

I guess Ill find out tuesday.

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
A very trusting guy. Don't find very many of those anymore.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Man that guy is really nice. Either that or just plain dumb. I'm all for helping someone out, but letting a total stranger take my car for a couple of days and a few hundred miles is something I would never do.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
I had a very similar problem with my R. It turned out to be a loose ground wire. Would not start and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Ran like crap and then died.
Good luck and God bless people who still care about the rest of us.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Nice guy, just remember he knows the other guy who has your Harley....... I bet he saw how much you take care of your ride so I bet he knows he is alright.

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Wish there were more Bruce Porters out there.........:notworth:

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
The world is filled with good people, but the bad ones seem to get everyone's attention more. Glad you met one of the good ones!!!

Do something good for him or for someone else. It is amazing what we gain when we give.

·
Registered
46 Posts
balius said:
Do something good for him or for someone else. It is amazing what we gain when we give.
It's that simple idea of, what goes around comes around, or KARMA!!!! Bigjim, you obviously had some good karma for this gentleman to extend his kindness to you like this. Life is filled with unfortunate events like a bike dying on the road, however, I choose to believe that good people receive help through these events. Now you can return the favor to someone else in need...and with no doubt, the man that loaned his car will be helped by someone else when he is in a difficult situation!

·
BISHOP11c
244 Posts
As a midwesterner, I can tell you there is a lot of people in the mid-states that will always give a hand. Also, people in the know understand most riders are genuine people that you can trust. And look at this gentlemans experience, he can probably read people, and liked what he saw in you. I'm glad you had a good experience, and let us know how the bike turns out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
had the same exact experience at SPACE COAST harley- in florida--I have been to just about everyother state--very few dealers will "drop everything" --and get you fixed when you really need it--

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
Glad to hear there are still good honest people out there, You should do something nice for the guy

·
Registered
113 Posts
had similar thing happen to me, western reserve fixed me up in about two hours. They replaced what I thought was the alternator but he called it something else. He said that the battery wasn't charging while the bike was running

GOOD LUCK!

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bikes back safe n sound with a new voltage regulator. aaaaaaaaand Mr Tow Truck will be getting plentiful meats from me.........the meat man. I hope he has a big deep freeze

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Proving to him that what he did was appreciated???

Glad to hear you got your bike figured out!

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
Great story Big Jim! Let that guy know his generorsity is recognized nationwide and not just a small corner of the midwest. Oh, and midwest rocks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts