Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what size the alan wrench is on the two bolts on the right side of the axle that clamp the axle? The local stealership told me its a special tool to take them out?

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
a repair manual will have just about everything you want to know about your bike.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have elaborated. I tried a 5 mm and its loose inside so I didnt even try it. 6mm is way to big. I tried 1/4" and all the wrest of the standards in that general area. Something tells me the last time the stealership changed my tires they stripped my pinch bolts, and my service manual for my vrscdx dose not say anything about the size of the pinch bolts. Ive changed wheels a lot of times from my old racing days and never have I had a bike give me so much trouble trying to change them as this bike o_O About to take a hammer to the thing LOL

EDIT: Appleton Harley Davidson confirms the pinch bolts are 5mm. The service teck who I know well told me it sounds for sure like they are both stripped and told me what happens is some of the Harley shops that arent used to working with vrods will try to use standerd size and strip them out. He then confirmed that I was a moron for going to the Harley place that I did to have my wheels done last time and said next time wait the couple extra days and let them do it...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
those bolts are extremely hard to brake loose the first time.. probably the cause for the allen being a loose fit now... if you can`t get them out try tapping a torx into the bolt and removing them with a hammer impact.. then replace them and make sure they aren`t over torqued.. even with the proper size allen they can be a bitch to get loose for the first time.. the factory some times put those bolts in extremely tight..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts