Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just went down to TN this past weekend. We rode just over 1400 miles in three days (three very long days...). The Street Rod is absolutely one of the greatest bikes I've ever ridden! Definitely not a sport bike (as evidenced by my ride down the tail of the dragon), but all around a fantastic ride. Saw some other VRods, but no other R models. One of the guys with us kept getting a little jealous because the R got more attention than his SE Road King (beautiful bike in its own right). It was rather humorous...

Unfortunately, we had some sport bikes cut inside us on the Cherohala Skyway, and ran him into the wet grass on the shoulder. His bike went out from under him, and bounced off the guardrail. He's okay for the most part (fractured pelvis, lots of bruises and little rash), but it looks like the bike is totaled. The guys didn't stick around, of course...sorry, I digress...

Looking forward to getting down to modding the bike now. Unfortunately, the first mod isn't really performance related. I MUST find a better seat. I was dying by mile 1200, and by mile 1400 I was simply numb and angry.

Attachments

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
So, just went down to TN this past weekend. We rode just over 1400 miles in three days (three very long days...). The Street Rod is absolutely one of the greatest bikes I've ever ridden! Definitely not a sport bike (as evidenced by my ride down the tail of the dragon), but all around a fantastic ride. Saw some other VRods, but no other R models. One of the guys with us kept getting a little jealous because the R got more attention than his SE Road King (beautiful bike in its own right). It was rather humorous...

Unfortunately, we had some sport bikes cut inside us on the Cherohala Skyway, and ran him into the wet grass on the shoulder. His bike went out from under him, and bounced off the guardrail. He's okay for the most part (fractured pelvis, lots of bruises and little rash), but it looks like the bike is totaled. The guys didn't stick around, of course...sorry, I digress...

Looking forward to getting down to modding the bike now. Unfortunately, the first mod isn't really performance related. I MUST find a better seat. I was dying by mile 1200, and by mile 1400 I was simply numb and angry.
Have you seen this one?

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
I will have either a hollywood or hollywood close for sale in a few weeks. As soon as I decide which I like better the other will be up for sale on the forum. And yes it is for an R. :broke: :deal:

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
I want to ride the Dragon soon.... :moped:

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
Yeah man!

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I just did the dragon (second time) and the cherahola the begining of Aug.
Your right awesome ride . Sucks for your buddy to get pushed off the road . That is BS that they didnt stop . Hope he is ok

·
Registered
99 Posts

I'm surprised you could do 1,200 on the stock seat! I switched over to a Corbin Hollywood about 500 miles ago. Still breaking it in but it is already twice as comfortable as the stock piece of crap. I am 6'-0" with a 33" inseam and have the regular Hollywood Solo. It gives you the same ride hirght as the stock seat but is pushed back about 2". The Close Hollywood Solo may work better if you are 5'-8" or so.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I am about to go on group ride up through Vermont into Canada and back. Three days 1200 miles. Not much I can do at this point about the seat, ouch, but the stars are lining up nicely with regard to the weather.

My R is the only Harley in the group. A Ducati 1098 in the lead. BMW 1200GS, Aprilia RSV Factory, Aprilia Futura, KLR Motocross (there is no accounting this rider's selection since we are avoiding the dirt in VT), and a long pony tail on a GXR 600 (she is a biker vision). I'll take some pics.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
Well...

Hey Jacobyvic, How'd you download the pic from Killboy?
For that, just did a "print screen", opened Paint, then cropped it down to just the pic.

I got Photoshop at work and did the same thing, but improved with Photoshop and made image larger...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am about to go on group ride up through Vermont into Canada and back. Three days 1200 miles. Not much I can do at this point about the seat, ouch, but the stars are lining up nicely with regard to the weather.

My R is the only Harley in the group. A Ducati 1098 in the lead. BMW 1200GS, Aprilia RSV Factory, Aprilia Futura, KLR Motocross (there is no accounting this rider's selection since we are avoiding the dirt in VT), and a long pony tail on a GXR 600 (she is a biker vision). I'll take some pics.
That should be a great ride. I'm jealous. I also put a throttle lock on before I left (the little metal one that attaches to the friction screw). What a lifesaver. The vibration at 80 was just enough to get my hand to start going numb after a while. It was nice to be able to shake it off once in a while. A lot of people don't like them for obvious safety reasons, but doing that was a lot better than trying to stop suddenly with a numb hand. :) I'd lock it for short periods only, pretty much only on the long highway stretches.

Definitely want the pics...the only real "vision" I saw on this trip was the passenger in a Miata who was getting, shall we say, "frisky." Unfortunately, I was passing them too fast to really enjoy and didn't want the bike behind me to take me out by slowing down suddenly. I managed to get a thumbs up to her boyfriend though...

·
beer me
240 Posts
The dragon and the surrounding areas are some of the best in the country. The R is fun to put to the test on the roads around there. I was scraping parts around a few corners some other guys I was riding with said they saw sparks from my bike. It's a bit heavy to throw around but, with a better seat you;ll never want to stop.

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
I was down in TN myself for the Bristol NASCAR race and got an opportunity to borrow an 1125R to ride the New Found Gap by Gattlinsburg. Amazing country.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
Not stock

Is that headlight just the stock one minus the painted cowling?
Nah, it's a ebay headlight I thought kinda went with the scallops on the air cover. Painted the shell black and left the visor chrome.

Got a few other pics in my gallery, but here's another from the dragon.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello All,

Just bought my R last month and the first thing I changed on the bike was the stock seat. I went with the Sundowner as my local dealer had a great incentive going. So far, much better ride when commuting for an hour; however I cant speak of how it performs on backroad twisties.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts