Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Tail light WTF??

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Olegna726 
#1 ·
Cruising home today and I hear a load pop- figured it was just an exhuast pop, then a guy comes up behind me pointing to the bike and yelling tail light. I pull over and the whole damn assembly had popped out of the fender was hanging by the wires and was getting thrashed. The bottom clip is gone and one of the top pegs snapped off. I have no idea what could have caused it, but I ran a search and looks like this has happened to others???
Now the real question comes- is it time to something really cool to back of the bike? (new fender, wider tire). Sure, I could convince the wife of that. I love those flush tailight leds but I am not dropping $800 for a flush light. Any suggestions or sources for a new light that will the stock hole?

#2 ·
just replace the tabs on your stocker and make sure it's firmly seated before you take off.

#3 ·
Harley has a nice LED that fits. Heavycycles makes a great one, but hard to say when they will be back in production. Plenty of custom lights out there. Joe

#4 ·
I'm running LED right now, the problem is the lens was scratched and coated in rubber from the rear tire, and one of the quadrant of LEDs no longer lights up. I found another on ebay for ~$120, will check HD today. I just can't beleive that the assembly would just pop off like that, its not like these are discount machines...

#6 ·
It's a no brainer!! Get the Ghost Rider Customs or Heavycycles Stage one or Stage two "V" light!! Its a V running light and applying brakes lights the whole LED grid for a nice blinding light!! Straight plug into existing wiring harness!! Also, a little tigher fit as mine has not even thought about poping out!!

#9 ·
if you have removed the Dogass, there's a mod/tweak you can do that will keep your tail light from ejecting. There's a write up on here by Joe (DrHeathenscum)

#11 ·
Thanks guys. Have it ziptied for now, it was the Harley LED. It still works but it bugs me that it is not perfect. Just need to decide what direction to go, the rear of my bike is one of the only things I would like to improve on it. Gdub, will you be at Big John's tomorrow? I'd like to see what you did.

#15 ·
The tail light falling out of V-Rods and Deuce's is a common thing.Mine fall out all of the time.I have one w a modified dogs ass and the other is still factory.I make my own custom tail lights and have lost some real cool looking arrays.I found shortening up the wires helps to keep the light in place so it doesn't get destroyed,like yours did.Now all I do is stuff the light back in and keep goin til the next bump for it to fall out again.

#16 ·
This thread isn't to old, so I figured I would drag it up.

This weekend I was riding and heard a pop and something hit my back, I pulled off after about 1/4 mile and the was my HEAVYCYCLE's integrated light hanging there by the wires.

The metal tab was on the bottom, but the top tabs were snapped off.

Some guy stopped by and had some spare tape, we attempted to tape the thing back on, but when I got to my destinationthe light was gone.

So now I have no tail lights, signals, or proof that I had a malfunction with the HC tail light.

I have a strip of integrated LED's and I'm thinking about chopping my fender.

#17 ·
As long as it got brought back up, it got me to thinking. What model v-rod are they popping out of and how many of each model have this problem? I have the "R" and my old taillight was really hard to get out to put in my Heavycycles stage 1 tailight. And that went in with a load click, so I assume it will be hard to take out if I ever need to.

#18 ·
I have an 03 VRSCA. The heavy cycles light went in and was held in firm.

Louisiana roads especially in the Fort Polk are are horrible and are known for destroying suspensions and causing stress cracks in auto frames and windshields. So rattling and destroying parts is just part of riding down here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.