Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with tail light removal. I read the how to and have been trying to use a screw driver to get the dam thing out. No success. I will appreciate any tips.

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
I just took the fender off to get a better angle then used pliers to compress the metal coil. It takes longer this way, but I think you're less likely to break off the "plastic" tabs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree. I tried the screwdriver like the manual says but finally pulled the fender like dereck. I was afraid I was going to break something. removing the rear fender is not that difficult.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks for the advice guys. I was able to take off the rear fender and get the light assembly out. For any one who may have this trouble in the future here are a few tips.
Use good amount of force with a good size screwdriver and make sure you pull up the rear of the light from above with some force. This latch needs more force to push in than I thought it would. If you have trouble just takes the fender off. To take off the fender, first take off the seat and you will see the four nuts that hold it to the body. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
sceptist said:
Well thanks for the advice guys. I was able to take off the rear fender and get the light assembly out. For any one who may have this trouble in the future here are a few tips.
Use good amount of force with a good size screwdriver and make sure you pull up the rear of the light from above with some force. This latch needs more force to push in than I thought it would. If you have trouble just takes the fender off. To take off the fender, first take off the seat and you will see the four nuts that hold it to the body. Good luck.
...and don't forget to put some grease on the latch before reassambly. Makes it a lot easier the next time!

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
It's easy if you have 2 people doing it. One pushing with the scewdriver and the other pulling the light up from the rear. It does work, did it this past Sunday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts