Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... first let me admit that I have no idea what I am doing. I am learning as I go and have had no electrical issues so far.

Last night I noticed that my tail light is out. Nice problem to have on a flat black bike with no reflectors :p

So the question is this.. where to start? It is an LED tail light so bulb isn't the problem. Should I check fuses? Wiring? Where do I start?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and for being nice to the ignorant :)

·
Free Wheelin'
241 Posts
Does anything work? I mean, are both the running and brake lights out?

I don't have a wiring schematic handy, but I'm assuming if nothing else stopped working, it's not a fuse.

I would start by popping the light out and using a multimeter to see if you have power at the harness. They're pretty easy to use and you can pick one up at Radioshack or Home Depot. Do you still have the factory taillight? Plug that sumbitch in and see if it works.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if it's just the taillight, it may be a loose connection at the harness. Check fuses first to rule that out, then check the wiring harness from the taillight to the bike.
Let us know if it works, and let us know which LED taillight you have, do you still have the stock rear turn signals?

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep have dogs ass and stock rear turn signals. They work as does the license plate light. Just no running tail light or brake light. Gonna do fuse tomorrow and then check the harness. Probably not a big deal but it kept me off the bike tonight :(

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay its the HD LED light and I am trying to figure out the fuses. My wife took off a month ago and took my service manual with her. Which fuse am I looking for? In the meantime I am going to take the light out and check the wiring harness to see if something jolted loose.

Thanks again for your help

EDIT: Just found a pdf download for the service manual for 8 bucks!!!

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well damn. It is the light itself. Wiring tested okay and fuse is good. Oulled the light out and sure enough there are parts rattling around inside. Tried to solder them back and it shorted out entirely.

Anyone have a tail light assembly for sale? If not I am off to the stealership to order one. At least I figured out the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts