Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has heard or experienced when your ignition is turned off, the light on the tachnometer stays on. It is very dim. I have a 2006 Night Rod.

I had moister get in it a few years ago and the dealer in Savanah, GA dried it out. HD said they will give me $100 off a new speedometer cluster because it is out of warranty. Yay...whatever.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

·
Free Wheelin'
241 Posts
This is a fairly common issue. It's definitely wet, but I wouldn't replace it just yet. Try letting your bike dry out for a few days, and in the future, cover the cluster with a bag when you wash it.

Maybe you can take apart the clamshell and seal up the cluster itself with silicon. It's supposed to be a sealed unit, afterall.

I'm not speaking from experience, seeing as this has never happened to me personally. Just throwing some ideas out there....

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a fairly common issue. It's definitely wet, but I wouldn't replace it just yet. Try letting your bike dry out for a few days, and in the future, cover the cluster with a bag when you wash it.

Maybe you can take apart the clamshell and seal up the cluster itself with silicon. It's supposed to be a sealed unit, afterall.

I'm not speaking from experience, seeing as this has never happened to me personally. Just throwing some ideas out there....
Thanks for the response. The problem started while it was at the dealer last week. They may have got it wet when they tried to clean it up, but I've got a feeling they will deny it.

I grew up in Apollo, PA. Most of my family still lives there!

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts

this is incorrect, its not a sealed unit and its not "water proof" maybe water resistant, i too had the same problem and had it replaced under warranty a few years ago. i was told do not spray water directly on the cluster. after the replacement I opened it up and sprayed a silicone/dielectric spray in it"lightly" and had no more issues. it will go out when it dries.

i'm pretty sure i used a spray called tune up in a can, its for spraying directly in or on ignition components to immediately dissipate water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts