Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an '06 Street Rod. I a very pleased with the bike with the exception of the Tach. It is not working. The needle is actually outside the gauge limits and points toward the right hand grip. It does on occasion move up and down a bit but other than that...nothing. Fuel guage and speedo are operating properly.

Any ideas??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I just picked up an '06 Street Rod. I a very pleased with the bike with the exception of the Tach. It is not working. The needle is actually outside the gauge limits and points toward the right hand grip. It does on occasion move up and down a bit but other than that...nothing. Fuel guage and speedo are operating properly.

Any ideas?? ...
The VRSC tach pointer is connected to a "stepper" motor. The IM (instrument module) reads the engine speed off the serial data bus (pin # 7) and moves the stepper motor to the right position. This is not considered a serviceable item by HD but it's possible your IM was messed with and the Tach needle wasn't reinstalled properly. The IM can be taken apart (look here) and the needle positioned to zero but if the Tach stepper motor is damaged you'll need to buy a new IM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:welcome: do the other gauges work?
Thanks for the greeting. Glad to be here. These forums are AWESOME. Especially when you get a new bike and aren't familiar with the little idiosyncrasies of them.

The fuel guage and speedometer are operating properly.

·
Noel
4,624 Posts
Welcome RainMan, nothing more to add than what stever said, where ya at in South Eastern Ma?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The VRSC tach pointer is connected to a "stepper" motor. The IM (instrument module) reads the engine speed off the serial data bus (pin # 7) and moves the stepper motor to the right position. This is not considered a serviceable item by HD but it's possible your IM was messed with and the Tach needle wasn't reinstalled properly. The IM can be taken apart (look here) and the needle positioned to zero but if the Tach stepper motor is damaged you'll need to buy a new IM.
Thanks :notworth: I took it apart and repositioned the needle. Plugged it in and fired her up. The needle climbs but does not retract back to zero, then every time you rev it it goes up a couple thousand to the point where it reaches its physical limit pointing toward the right handlebar. :mad:

What does a new module run??

·
Noel
4,624 Posts
About $419.00, if you go through Chicago HD you could get it for 335 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
OUCH!! I guess I will be running without a Tach ....
Keep an eyeball on the for sale forum. One might show up. Also post in the wanted forum what you are looking for. You never know.

·
Noel
4,624 Posts
Thanks, I am in Fall River...
Cool, a few guys in your direct area, I occasionally ride down that way passing through on the way to the Little Compton & Westport area. Let me know in a PM if you need help with anything.

after a probation period you will be able to post in the sales area/:deal:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts