Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ok another exhaust thread. i just ordered some tabs with baffles. does anyone have sound clip WITH baffles.how does it sound to you. ty all

·
Banned
868 Posts
I would love to be the one to donate the sound clip but my digital camera records in .mov and the forum won't let me upload the clip.
Dana

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so dana, can you describe the sound as opposed to without baffles and with them. also, compared to stock.
semper fi
doc pettee
5th 155 sp guns
fmf 68-69

·
Registered
161 Posts
mrfredsporty said:
so dana, can you describe the sound as opposed to without baffles and with them. also, compared to stock.
semper fi
doc pettee
5th 155 sp guns
fmf 68-69

I heard they kind of go thump, thump, thump, thump as opposed to thump, thump, thump, thump as opposed to thump, thump, thump, thump. At least at idle. :angeldev:

:mrgr:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just installed the Tab's with removeable baffles.... I got the removable baffle set because IF they weren't loud enough, I wanted to remove the baffles.

Dont waste your time.... trust me, the baffled pipes are more than loud enough!

When I took my stock pipes of the night before, anticipating the install next day, I started the bike with no pipes on it... just running on the headers. What a great sound :) It did have a little bit of a metallic "ping" sound to it... the baffled pipes installed the next day were almost as loud, but the baffles took the "ping" out... made them more bassy and mellow. But almost as loud.

So, if you want to know how loud to expect your Tabs to be... take your stock pipes off and start it up... that's pretty much it.

Think about it... looking into the tab pipes with baffles... what baffles? Yeah, there's an insert but its still a straight free flow pipe with a huge bore! The baffles look like little metal half clam shells on the inside. Basically some kind of press dented the sides of the baffle inwards hundreds of times uniformely... The inside of the baffle has numerous little "wings" inside. I dont know the physics of sound, but all of these little projections must some how stir the air flow up which mellows the sound a "little".

The only reason I wanted new pipes (not for looks), I wanted my Night Rod to sound like a Harley and not a Honda.... if that's what you're after, you'll be well pleased with the Tabs.

·
Banned
868 Posts
mrfredsporty said:
semper fi
doc pettee
5th 155 sp guns
fmf 68-69
Witout the baffle they sound like the third member with nothing attached. With the baffles the sound is noticably quieter but still loud and mellow

·
Banned
868 Posts
I may try my movie camera instead of the digital to see if I can get a sound file the forum will let me upload.
Dana

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well from one Fred to another..... I had to say something smarta** ;)

Sure wish someone had the gumption and patience to record the different pipes in the same settings. Sure would make deciding on a sound a lot easier.... if that's what you're after. And I know it was half of what I was after. When I got the pipe for my rappy the DG website said quiet sounding compared to other performance pipes and I was blown away... as I'm sure my neighbors were :D ... when I first fired it up. That baby POPS. Definitely not what I was after. I wanted the stock sound with more performance, as opposed to my DX where I wanted a not stock sound and the same performance....
You would think a pipe manufacturer would have a product X and Y and then their pipe. I know some of the clips I've heard, especially with the bike screaming down the road, sound like an eighties Ninja and I'm pretty sure that's not what it sounds like in real life.

Sure is tough picking out a set of pipes. I'm still following what's said about these Tabs because even though I have started really liking the sound of my SuperTrapps, and the look isn't bad I do prefer the look of the shorter Tabs.

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Mark Ducati said:
I just installed the Tab's with removeable baffles.... I got the removable baffle set because IF they weren't loud enough, I wanted to remove the baffles.

Dont waste your time.... trust me, the baffled pipes are more than loud enough!
I got the slash cuts without baffles and I totally love the way it sounds! Honestly, can't imagine what it would sound like with the baffles. Bike sounds awesome and runs great! I'd say go without the baffles.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The problem is that most camera's and recording equipment people use is so poor that you can't get a good idea what they really sound like. Even your system makes a difference in how things sound. I hoped if I get time this year at the rally to record several pipes with a good canon system I have and to record DB at the same time from exact distance so people could better compare without buying first.

·
Banned
868 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Max said:
The problem is that most camera's and recording equipment people use is so poor that you can't get a good idea what they really sound like. Even your system makes a difference in how things sound. I hoped if I get time this year at the rally to record several pipes with a good canon system I have and to record DB at the same time from exact distance so people could better compare without buying first.
I like hearing when others promote canon.. adds to my profit sharing!

Problems usually stem from overloading the Mic and the recording device.. Like Max says, with better equipment and the ability to lower the gain on the mic then your problems would be solved. If your using a XL/XH or GL you can adjust the gain on the input.. I think your best bet if you dont have the ability to adjust gain is distance. You need to be close enough to capture the sound but far enough that the levels don't cause distortion...

Cant wait to see and hear whats out there..

·
Registered
102 Posts
DutchRider said:
Did everybody order the Fueler, and how did you like it or did you switch to something else lateron?
I was wondering the same thing. The PCIII seems to be more flexible with more options but the Tab fueler is set up for the Tab products. Are PCIII maps available for the Tabs?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts