Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPS tracking says my pipes arrive tomorrow.... took the stockers off tonight getting ready for tomorrow.

Holy crap! Started the bike for a grin without pipes, and my Lord what a beautiful sound!!!!!

I got the baffled TAB slash cut pipes, but now realistically forsee taking the removable TAB baffles out! It was very pleasing idling in the garage, a bit piercing in the garage when revved up, but would probably mellow a tad when outside on an open road.... IF the baffles are readily removable when the pipes are installed, I'll try them out first.... IF its easier to remove the baffles before the pipes are installed I can tell you right now they're comin' out!

Cant wait to get my pipes, tuner, and filter on tomorrow!

Rear side plate mount should be here by the end of the week... in about a month, I'll have the cash for the BOSS-NOSS!

Does this mod addiction ever quit????

BKNBLK was already taken at the DMV for a tag... I was thinking of something very simple like USA, USA-1, 1-USA... but I'm sure those are already taken too... I wanted something very short and simple so I could put my HD sticker on the plate as well.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
I don't think there is much of a baffle in those pipes from what I have seen. You might want to leave them in for performance reasons.

·
Banned
868 Posts
I just put the TABS on mine with the baffles. I'm leaving the baffles in mine, they sound killer. Also rattle canned the heat shields to match the black TAB mufflers. They look great, now I need a set of DX shields.
Dana

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Homemade Tabs:

I cut 8" off the bottom pipe and 7.5" off the top pipe.

SERT on Order
K&N on Order

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
thedak said:
My Homemade Tabs:

I cut 8" off the bottom pipe and 7.5" off the top pipe.

SERT on Order
K&N on Order

That's what I'm talkin about. Stylish, yet much cheaper. You're going to love the look of the pipes and the sounds.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I must admit...................

I copied off u. :notworth:

and you are right. they cost me $0.00 and they look factory.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Not sure but for optimal engine performance and cylinder balance should not both mufflers be the same length?
Dana

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mark Ducati said:
UPS tracking says my pipes arrive tomorrow.... took the stockers off tonight getting ready for tomorrow.

Holy crap! Started the bike for a grin without pipes, and my Lord what a beautiful sound!!!!!

I got the baffled TAB slash cut pipes, but now realistically forsee taking the removable TAB baffles out! It was very pleasing idling in the garage, a bit piercing in the garage when revved up, but would probably mellow a tad when outside on an open road.... IF the baffles are readily removable when the pipes are installed, I'll try them out first.... IF its easier to remove the baffles before the pipes are installed I can tell you right now they're comin' out!

Cant wait to get my pipes, tuner, and filter on tomorrow!

Rear side plate mount should be here by the end of the week... in about a month, I'll have the cash for the BOSS-NOSS!

Does this mod addiction ever quit????

BKNBLK was already taken at the DMV for a tag... I was thinking of something very simple like USA, USA-1, 1-USA... but I'm sure those are already taken too... I wanted something very short and simple so I could put my HD sticker on the plate as well.

i have my TAB slash cut with baffles for the last 1000 miles.
i have poeple stopping me all the time.... first for the bike, secundo for the great powerful sounds that emerge from tab slip ons.

so far so good i am an happy camper...

cheers!

·
Registered
163 Posts
danasmith69 said:
Not sure but for optimal engine performance and cylinder balance should not both mufflers be the same length?
Dana

.5" isn't going to make a difference. The pipes are .75" different in size to begin with.

·
Registered
322 Posts
:them: Doesn't the third volume act as a crossover as well?

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
thedak said:
I must admit...................

I copied off u. :notworth:

and you are right. they cost me $0.00 and they look factory.
I'm honored. Just goes to show that great ideas are found on this forum. I'm lovin this.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
danasmith69 said:
Dana

DX has a 2 into 1 into 2, the collector is an equalizer of sorts and muller length is much less critical on this set-up. They were different lengths form factory.

·
Banned
868 Posts
traktime said:
DX has a 2 into 1 into 2, the collector is an equalizer of sorts and muller length is much less critical on this set-up. They were different lengths form factory.
You're right, I wasn't thinking about the third member being the equalizer. They look great.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Mark Ducati said:

Take a look at the 'BossNoss' thread. There's some pics of my TAB mufflers and my BossNoss install.
Dana

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Installed the TAB slash cuts on mine, without the baffles, and love the sound. The bike runs great and all the power is still there. The convinience of the slip on and the ready-to-run set up is great! No tuning or other diagnostics required once you've installed everything properly. You'll be ready to ride right after installation. You're sure to love to whole set up!

·
Registered
35 Posts
How Easy Is The Install Of The Fuel Controller? Does It Have A Wiring Harness Or Do You Have To Wire It Up? Everyone Seems Happy With The Sound Of The Pipes And The Kit As A Whole. I Want To Pick One Up Next Month.

·
Registered
276 Posts
2 naive questions. 1) do you need to use the tuner if you are not going topless. 2) do you have to go topless for the tuner to work properly. told you these would be naive questions

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It took me about 20 minutes the night before to remove the stock pipes and remove the airbox last night to get ready for the install the next day.

Next day, took me 90 minutes to install the new pipes and the tuner... the hardest part of the install was running the wiring harness underneath the throttle body.

The instructions are crystal clear with pictures, very easy to install.

YES, you need a tuner when you put slip-on pipes on your bike, otherwise the fuel/air ratio is wrong and youre either running too lean or rich which will eventually foul your engine.

As for going topless, you can run topless or not with the tuner. The Tab tuner was dyno'd with the top on... my bike runs fine, but the tuner has fine adjustments that you alter to your liking there after.

·
Registered
276 Posts
great answer. thanks very much . if i cahnge i think ill go tabs . keep top and use the fueler.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts