Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
On the Space Coast
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted, but my search didn't find anything. Is anyone using TAB's new fuel manager tuner on their F?

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
Sorry if this has been posted, but my search didn't find anything. Is anyone using TAB's new fuel manager tuner on their F?
I was and it's a good bang for the buck product but in my mind nothing takes the the place of a SE tuner and some dyno time.

With that said I have no experience with the other adjustable tuners like the PC5 so they might work out good as well.

Hopefully others will chime in so you get multiple opinions so you can make yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There were several post about the Tab tuner a while back when I was trying to decide what to get. I really wanted to get the Tab tuner because it would have been easy to pick up a complete kit from Tab rather than shop around and deal with another company. Plus the Tab tuner was a bit cheaper.

In the end, after a lot of reading, I found that only a small percentage of people that used the Tab tuner were satisfied while the majority had a tough time adjusting their tuner to make thier bike run well.

I called the guys at Tab, great guys with good customer service, and directly asked him about the tuner, about complaints I've read about as well as how it compared to the Power Commander V. He said issues with defective units were cleared up long ago, and the majority of issues regarding adjustment were due to people who were either impatient and didn't want to the the time to make fine adjustments or didn't understand how to make them. He said their tuner is made by Dyno Jet and very similar to the PCV with the only difference being the PCV had a few more adjustments that could be made.

In the end I went with the PCV. There seemed to be many more people who were satisfied with this unit. The other reason I went with the PCV is t he ability to add the auto tune feature as well as the software included that allows the user to adjust or change maps.

I just recently installed my PCV. Very straight forward install and it took longer to take off body panel then it did to hook up the unit. I can say I couldnt be happier. The bike runs much smoother than stock, this is especially noticable at low RPM's. At this point I think I may have lucked out becuase there are no rough spots in the throttle or under decel from 5 to 110 mph. Anytime I can get away with a plug and play or bolt on performance accessory that requires no adjustment it makes my day. LIke anything else there will probably be plenty of people who complain about PVC, but mine worked out well. Just as a side note the guys at Fuel Moto were very knowlegable and took the time to school me up on the unit and recommend a set up.

Just becuase im sure someone will ask, I have not dyno tuned my bike and at this point I dont believe I will. True, I don't know if I'm getting the max performance potential out of my bike and mods, but I can say the ass dyno is very impressed.

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
There were several post about the Tab tuner a while back when I was trying to decide what to get. I really wanted to get the Tab tuner because it would have been easy to pick up a complete kit from Tab rather than shop around and deal with another company. Plus the Tab tuner was a bit cheaper.

In the end, after a lot of reading, I found that only a small percentage of people that used the Tab tuner were satisfied while the majority had a tough time adjusting their tuner to make thier bike run well.

I called the guys at Tab, great guys with good customer service, and directly asked him about the tuner, about complaints I've read about as well as how it compared to the Power Commander V. He said issues with defective units were cleared up long ago, and the majority of issues regarding adjustment were due to people who were either impatient and didn't want to the the time to make fine adjustments or didn't understand how to make them. He said their tuner is made by Dyno Jet and very similar to the PCV with the only difference being the PCV had a few more adjustments that could be made.

In the end I went with the PCV. There seemed to be many more people who were satisfied with this unit. The other reason I went with the PCV is t he ability to add the auto tune feature as well as the software included that allows the user to adjust or change maps.

I just recently installed my PCV. Very straight forward install and it took longer to take off body panel then it did to hook up the unit. I can say I couldnt be happier. The bike runs much smoother than stock, this is especially noticable at low RPM's. At this point I think I may have lucked out becuase there are no rough spots in the throttle or under decel from 5 to 110 mph. Anytime I can get away with a plug and play or bolt on performance accessory that requires no adjustment it makes my day. LIke anything else there will probably be plenty of people who complain about PVC, but mine worked out well. Just as a side note the guys at Fuel Moto were very knowlegable and took the time to school me up on the unit and recommend a set up.

Just becuase im sure someone will ask, I have not dyno tuned my bike and at this point I dont believe I will. True, I don't know if I'm getting the max performance potential out of my bike and mods, but I can say the ass dyno is very impressed.
Agreed, seat of the pants feel and good drivability win over numbers.

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Don't buy the fuel manager. It turns the Fuel injection system into a carbuator. It has three screws to adjust low mid and high rpm range. After trying to get the fuel manager tuned for a couple of weeks. I rode around with the fuel manager hanging out and a screwdriver with me. The mapping is just to complex for this kind of system. I wish some one would have told me before I spent the money. I went to Horsepower express in Campbell, Ca. and had it Dyno tuned using Master Tune software. They got 127 horsepower. The bike run great all the time.

Bicep

·
On the Space Coast
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't buy the fuel manager. It turns the Fuel injection system into a carbuator. It has three screws to adjust low mid and high rpm range. After trying to get the fuel manager tuned for a couple of weeks. I rode around with the fuel manager hanging out and a screwdriver with me. The mapping is just to complex for this kind of system. I wish some one would have told me before I spent the money. I went to Horsepower express in Campbell, Ca. and had it Dyno tuned using Master Tune software. They got 127 horsepower. The bike run great all the time.

Bicep
How long ago did you try the fuel manager? TAB claims to have fixed their problems and have pre-programmed maps installed.

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
May 2009. It had a map for the muscle also. Wait till you hear the poping and cracking on decel. I wish I could write more but I am at work. Just trying to help you to spend your money where it will do you the most good.

sorry got to run

Bicep

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have the tab kit...with the tuner in the settings i was told to run on heavy accel the bike would smoke black pretty good so i tried to adjust a little and it wasnt helping much...so i just took the fuel manager and filter out and just left on the slip ons and have been running it like that for a couple months until winter rolls through and i can save some cash for a SE tuner and dyno tune....plus the SE tuner is re tunable so in the future u dont have to buy a new program just pay for some dyno time if you decide to mod some more

1 - 9 of 9 Posts